I need help finding articles about ransomware for a school paper please.

Bleedingyamato

Then i can't help you much then, but i would follow Zodiark's advice because her tips are in the right direction to begin your search. 

Honestly though, this type of topic is kind of new and hard to search up solely relying on the internet.

If i were you, i would email some of the big security firms like kasperskysecurity and etc and see if they will give you some files to look at. Otherwise, you can only rely on some lame news articles wrote by someone that doesn't have any insider information like those you find on FOX tv and other big names.

5 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

*snip*

Here, I'll just link a few articles from reputable sources;

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/security/news/cybercrime-and-digital-threats/ransomware-recap-nov-7-18-2016

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security/portal/mmpc/shared/ransomware.aspx

PDF -> https://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/incident/enterprise-survival-guide-ransomware-attacks-36962

https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/ransomware-on-the-rise

https://blogs.sophos.com/2015/12/31/the-current-state-of-ransomware-ctb-locker/

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2016/jul/28/how-can-i-remove-ransomware-infection

They might not all be useful, but here you go! :D

Good luck with the paper!

EDIT; sorry for the triple post, I was clicking "submit reply" but somehow nothing was happening ... I only saw my replies after closing Chrome and re-opening it!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

if the prof wants info on ransomware - you could fill the paper by just creating a little 50 line ransomware and saying how easily anyone with computing experience could create one and either manually download it to a system or do it remotely - just stating how it works and takes over a computer should be a good page and a half - don't be afraid to be very technical - i did the same thing in university but it was a 10 page report. i basically just made my own ransomware and put it into the paper and i got a high mark 

6 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Thank you so much!  

I really hope these help.  So far all I've got for sources is stuff like this from Google.  I haven't had much luck finding "academic" sources yet.  So I may need to still find some of those...  

I've got almost 3 single spaced pages but so far that's just my intro and somehow almost 2 pages of listing details as some VERY general "history" of ransomware.  ?

I'm either going to somehow finish this today or tomorrow or I'll die in the process.

(I'm so tired and it's only 7:35pm...)

I tried emailing the professor to ask if graphs could used (though I haven't found any yet) and to ask if he could allow us to do it as 6-7 pages double spaced.

But I haven't heard back from him yet so I have to assume I'm stuck with single spaced...  ?

12 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

EDIT; sorry for the triple post, I was clicking "submit reply" but somehow nothing was happening ... I only saw my replies after closing Chrome and re-opening it!

Triple?  I only see 1 from you.  

3 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

if the prof wants info on ransomware - you could fill the paper by just creating a little 50 line ransomware and saying how easily anyone with computing experience could create one and either manually download it to a system or do it remotely - just stating how it works and takes over a computer should be a good page and a half - don't be afraid to be very technical - i did the same thing in university but it was a 10 page report. i basically just made my own ransomware and put it into the paper and i got a high mark 

I don't know any technical stuff...  ?

Or how to write malware even if I wanted to.  Which I don't of course.  

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I don't know any technical stuff...  ?

Or how to write malware even if I wanted to.  Which I don't of course.  

the history would be a lengthy topic - you could then expand into the history of malware itself which could be a good page or 2

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Triple?  I only see 1 from you.  

That's because I'm a mod and removed them when I realized what I had done! :P Still, I thought I should apologize since you might have gotten 3 notices from me! xD

Here are a few more (yeah I'm still looking);

https://securelist.com/analysis/publications/75145/pc-ransomware-in-2014-2016/

PDF -> http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/media/security_response/whitepapers/the-evolution-of-ransomware.pdf

Paper from the University of Florida;

https://www.cise.ufl.edu/~traynor/papers/scaife-icdcs16.pdf

23 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

That's because I'm a mod and removed them when I realized what I had done! :P Still, I thought I should apologize since you might have gotten 3 notices from me! xD

Here are a few more (yeah I'm still looking);

https://securelist.com/analysis/publications/75145/pc-ransomware-in-2014-2016/

PDF -> http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/media/security_response/whitepapers/the-evolution-of-ransomware.pdf

Paper from the University of Florida;

https://www.cise.ufl.edu/~traynor/papers/scaife-icdcs16.pdf

It's ok really.  Most of the people I tried tagging didn't respond so that you were one of the people that means a lot to me.

If you have a minute what I could really use some help with is the 4 apparent sub-topic that are mentioned in the directions.

-address what is available

-how it is being applied

-some future trends

-how you see the development of this area

Also if you look at the picture of the directions I posted it says attribution is key.  Idk what attribution means...   Certainly not in this context.  

I have no idea how those can be applied to talking about ransomware.  I promise I'm not trying to be lazy.  I'm just not understanding the directions.  

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

-address what is available

Try to create a list of ransomware currently used

-how it is being applied

How are the "hackers" able to compromise computers

-some future trends

Not sure about this one, maybe what's next in terms of ransmowares, there are different and new ones like MBR ransomware, so maybe that?

-how you see the development of this area

Not sure either...

As for the "attribution is key", I have no idea, my knowledge of English isn't as good as I thought! xD

13 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Try to create a list of ransomware currently used

How are the "hackers" able to compromise computers

Not sure about this one, maybe what's next in terms of ransmowares, there are different and new ones like MBR ransomware, so maybe that?

Not sure either...

As for the "attribution is key", I have no idea, my knowledge of English isn't as good as I thought! xD

Do you think I can get around a page for each of those four things?  

English is your first language right?   

16 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Good answers. Your English is very good if it isn't your native tongue. A lot better than my French, at least.

@Bleedingyamato Attributing an effect to a cause. In statistics, a correlation. Do you find the data to support your initial hypothesis?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Do you think I can get around a page for each of those four things? 

Yeah, easily IMO. If you do your research right it should be easy enough. My trick was to write the whole thing, then do a "second pass", after that you'll have something close to a finished paper and you can start playing with the text to add or remove as you need ... but that was my way of writing my papers, I'm sure you'll find your own pace!

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

English is your first language right?

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Good answers. Your English is very good if it isn't your native tongue. A lot better than my French, at least.

My native language is French actually, my mom's native language is English and she did taught us basics (that helped), I learned the rest by myself reading books and listening to STNG as a teen!

8 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

image.jpeg

"New Times Roman" isn't a font anyone has installed on their computers, unless they too are dyslexic.

In this instance, I would choose a suitable replacement font, then point this out to the teacher as you hand it in.

Also, who is going to be reading this technical essay? Surely not the same person who wrote New Times Roman...

Please note, teachers loathed my typewritten essays for some strange reason... could never quite figure out why.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

"New Times Roman" isn't a font anyone has installed on their computers, unless they too are dyslexic.

In this instance, I would choose a suitable replacement font, then point this out to the teacher as you hand it in.

Please note, teachers loathed my typewritten essays for some strange reason... could never quite figure out why.

I was always fond of Lucida Handwriting myself

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

7 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I was always fond of Lucida Handwriting myself

Lucida anything is really nice, even if Lucida Handwriting is a little hard to read at times. Sometimes I use Lucida Console when I get tired of Consolas.

Actually, as long as you don't use Comic Sans, Papyrus, or Comic Papyrus, you're good. I'd rather read Wingdings than Comic Sans.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Lucida anything is really nice, even if Lucida Handwriting is a little hard to read at times.

Actually, as long as you don't use Comic Sans, Papyrus, or Comic Papyrus, you're good. I'd rather read Wingdings than Comic Sans.

I actually sent in a report on Egyptian culture in Wingdings 2? since it looks similar to hieroglyphs.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Best bet is to look at the big AV companies and look at their whitepapers and case studies. (AVG, BitDefender, Trend, Norton, Kaspersky, Sophos, Macafee)

19 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

@Bleedingyamato Attributing an effect to a cause. In statistics, a correlation. Do you find the data to support your initial hypothesis?

But what would attribution mean in the context of the directions for the paper?

12 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Yeah, easily IMO. If you do your research right it should be easy enough. My trick was to write the whole thing, then do a "second pass", after that you'll have something close to a finished paper and you can start playing with the text to add or remove as you need ... but that was my way of writing my papers, I'm sure you'll find your own pace!

My native language is French actually, my mom's native language is English and she did taught us basics (that helped), I learned the rest by myself reading books and listening to STNG as a teen!

I'm too lazy to do a second pass. ?  Anytime I tried I just skimmed and was like "yeah it's still fine" and submitted the paper.  

I'd say for self study you're very good.  I had no idea English wasn't your first language.  

STNG?

I assume it means times new roman.   Probably just a typo.  

Maybe you were just too awesome for them?  ?

2 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Best bet is to look at the big AV companies and look at their whitepapers and case studies. (AVG, BitDefender, Trend, Norton, Kaspersky, Sophos, Macafee)

Would they have enough detail on ransomware on their sites?

What's a whitepaper?

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

I assume it means times new roman.   Probably just a typo.  

Maybe you were just too awesome for them?  ?

Maybe. More likely it's because I was always difficult and refused to conform to these weird standards of writing that schools seem to favor because they don't always make logical sense when you're trying to formulate facts and figured into an objectified opinion over a span of 5-20 pages.

Anywho, as for your essay, I often read http://reddit.com/r/malware and the Malwarebytes Blog on malware analysis. Articles on both the subreddit and the aforementioned blog often link to many of the whitepapers @Windspeed36 mentioned from Sophos, Kaspersky, and EmSiSoft.

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Would they have enough detail on ransomware on their sites?

What's a whitepaper?

A published journal. Usually showing an issue, explaining it, and then giving a solution.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm too lazy to do a second pass. ?  Anytime I tried I just skimmed and was like "yeah it's still fine" and submitted the paper.  

I'd say for self study you're very good.  I had no idea English wasn't your first language.  

STNG?

lol yeah, like I said, that was my way of doing it, it was always easier for me to just put everything on paper without worrying about length or if I was repeating myself, and go back to put everything back in order and fix the length.

As for my English, the fact that my mom did taught us some basics and that I was interested at a young age helped, my younger brother and sister were never interested in learning English and now, their skills are very limited.

Sorry, I was missing a "T" in my earlier abbreviation xD, I meant to write STTNG = Star Trek The Next Generation (I think I still have the uniform I bought when I went to my first convention! :D)

2 hours ago, kirashi said:

Maybe. More likely it's because I was always difficult and refused to conform to these weird standards of writing that schools seem to favor because they don't always make logical sense when you're trying to formulate facts and figured into an objectified opinion over a span of 5-20 pages.

Anywho, as for your essay, I often read http://reddit.com/r/malware and the Malwarebytes Blog on malware analysis. Articles on both the subreddit and the aforementioned blog often link to many of the whitepapers @Windspeed36 mentioned from Sophos, Kaspersky, and EmSiSoft.

I could take a look at the Malwarebytes blog thank you.  

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

A published journal. Usually showing an issue, explaining it, and then giving a solution.

Ah.  Ok.  Thank you for explaining that.  

2 hours ago, J. Hammond said:

Here's a good list of Ransomware and all of its details, including how to defeat them. I don't know how much help this will be but I'll leave this here just in case.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TWS238xacAto-fLKh1n5uTsdijWdCEsGIM0Y0Hvmc5g/pubhtml

It's certainly worth a look.  Thank you.  

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

lol yeah, like I said, that was my way of doing it, it was always easier for me to just put everything on paper without worrying about length or if I was repeating myself, and go back to put everything back in order and fix the length.

As for my English, the fact that my mom did taught us some basics and that I was interested at a young age helped, my younger brother and sister were never interested in learning English and now, their skills are very limited.

Sorry, I was missing a "T" in my earlier abbreviation xD, I meant to write STTNG = Star Trek The Next Generation (I think I still have the uniform I bought when I went to my first convention! :D)

I'd love to learn Japanese but idk if I have the motivation (I think that's the right word?) to stick with it and actually learn it. 

That's awesome that you like Star Trek.  I love Star Trek.  I'm actually rewatching Next Generation on Netflix right now.  ?

That's really cool.  I'd love a uniform like from Voyager perhaps.  But I currently wouldn't have anywhere to wear it.  ?