I need help finding articles about ransomware for a school paper please.

Bleedingyamato

The picture shows the directions.  I'm not asking for help actually writing the paper so don't worry I'm not a cheater.

I'm just really bad with Google more often than not and this is a decent part of my course grade so I could really use some help finding good quality sources.  

I need 7 according to an email the professor sent the class.  

I should mention I will be trying to find sources myself so I do not expect this topic to be my only means of finding sources.  I just hope this will supplement anything I'm able to find on my own.  

The overall topic is the current state of the topic I choose.  In my case ransomware. 

There are 4 sub-topics that it seems I need to focus the parts of my paper on.

These are:

-what is available 

-how it is being applied 

-some future trends 

-how you see the development of this area

I'm not entirely sure how these relate to ransomware but any insight into that would be appreciated.  I stated these along with showing the directions in case it helps in searching for sources.  

Again, I will be looking myself but I figure given my iffy luck with Google that seeking help from the nice people here would be a good idea.  

@DeadEyePsycho

@wkdpaul

@Zodiark1593

@Oshino Shinobu

@LAwLz

@M.Yurizaki

@ARikozuM

@Nuluvius

@aisle9

I'm tagging you guys (and girls) because I know you either work in IT fields or I feel like you'd be able to help me with this particular issue.

Thank you to anyone willing to help.  I'm not very good at writing papers either so I'm rather anxious atm so I greatly appreciate any assistance.  

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

The picture shows the directions.  I'm not asking for help actually writing the paper so don't worry I'm not a cheater.

I'm just really bad with Google more often than not and this is a decent part of my course grade so I could really use some help finding good quality sources.  

I need 7 according to an email the professor sent the class.  

I should mention I will be trying to find sources myself so I do not expect this topic to be my only means of finding sources.  I just hope this will supplement anything I'm able to find on my own.  

The overall topic is the current state of the topic I choose.  In my case ransomware. 

There are 4 sub-topics that it seems I need to focus the parts of my paper on.

These are:

-what is available 

-how it is being applied 

-some future trends 

-how you see the development of this area

I'm not entirely sure how these relate to ransomware but any insight into that would be appreciated.  I stated these along with showing the directions in case it helps in searching for sources.  

Again, I will be looking myself but I figure given my iffy luck with Google that seeking help from the nice people here would be a good idea.  

@DeadEyePsycho

@wkdpaul

@Zodiark1593

@Oshino Shinobu

@LAwLz

@M.Yurizaki

@ARikozuM

@Nuluvius

@aisle9

I'm tagging you guys (and girls) because I know you either work in IT fields or I feel like you'd be able to help me with this particular issue.

Thank you to anyone willing to help.  I'm not very good at writing papers either so I'm rather anxious atm so I greatly appreciate any assistance.  

image.jpeg

uh google it(like i did for the stuff i didnt know on my course) or do something you've been taught maybe?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

I would check the usual suspects. FBI, DOJ, Kaspersky, Symantec, and maybe McAfee among others. You could also look into enterprise security firms.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I just noticed it says single spaced.  Fml...  I have no idea how I can manage that long of a paper.  I'm a rather to the point person.  I don't know if I have that much to say about this...  ?

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I just noticed it says single spaced.  Fml...  I have no idea how I can manage that long of a paper.  I'm a rather to the point person.  I don't know if I have that much to say about this...  ?

Charts and graphs. Drop it like it's hot a chem report.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

2 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

uh google it(like i did for the stuff i didnt know on my course) or do something you've been taught maybe?

We haven't gone into this kind of specific and extreme detail on malware of ransomware specifically...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

We haven't gone into this kind of specific and extreme detail on malware of ransomware specifically...

then i reccomend you find something that you know about and can easily write about, in my own opinion

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Charts and graphs. Drop it like it's hot a chem report.

I don't think I can include those...  Assuming I could find any about this topic.  

Seriously the length is really freaking me out...  I haven't had to do much writing in years so I'm not very good at this kind of length...

#panicattack ?

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

single spaced i presume means a single space inbetween words, but man thats is some tough rules 

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I don't think I can include those...  Assuming I could find any about this topic.  

You should be able to. There isn't anything in the MLA guidelines restricting use of images/charts as far as I'm aware. Ask your professor if you can.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Thank you!  I'll take a look at that.

2 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

then i reccomend you find something that you know about and can easily write about, in my own opinion

I'm limited to the topic choices listed in the directions.  I chose ransomware because it seems to me that it's a current topic I might have better luck with.  

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

single spaced i presume means a single space inbetween words, but man thats is some tough rules 

It means between lines of text.  

Spearphishing? Clever, guys, clever. /s

Have you looked into IoT and security? There's plenty regarding that as the most prevalent form of risk today.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

7 pages of single spaced. Professor is making you think.

As a subset of what is available, you can go into the history of ransomware, how it began, the first widespread cases of ransomware moving up until now.

Along with the sub-topics you outlined, I would also put the opening paragraph as a sub topic of it's own as you will need to briefly summarize what your report will cover. This is especially important due to the length of the essay, first impressions and all that.

What will potentially add a lot of detail are the myriad of means that users can be infected with ransomware, and perhaps even expanding into the cryptography side of things (in particular, the public-private key encryption used in most ransomware schemes). Given the essay length, you will have a lot of room in detailing relevant technologies that are used in ransomware.

To go further, you would detail the payment and server setups used to collect, the crime rings that operate these servers, and efforts to bring them down.

The above is in addition to the surface technical details. What is key is to not see the length as a massive chore, rather, a very generous opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge and pursuit of it.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

You should be able to. There isn't anything in the MLA guidelines restricting use of images/charts as far as I'm aware. Ask your professor if you can.

I just sent the professor an email asking if he'd please change the length requirement to double spaced and if charts/graphs can be used and counted towards the length.  

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Spearphishing? Clever, guys, clever. /s

Have you looked into IoT and security? There's plenty regarding that as the most prevalent form of risk today.

What about spearphishing?  I'm confused by your question..  

It's a type of phishinh directed at a single or small number of people.  Typically high level executives at companies I think if I remember right.  

No I haven't.  Ransomware was suggested by a classmate as being a current topic that I might have good luck finding sources for.  

What about spearphishing?  I'm confused by your question..  

The fact that phishing (fishing) has an accomplice (spearfishing)...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

7 pages of single spaced. Professor is making you think.

As a subset of what is available, you can go into the history of ransomware, how it began, the first widespread cases of ransomware moving up until now.

Along with the sub-topics you outlined, I would also put the opening paragraph as a sub topic of it's own as you will need to briefly summarize what your report will cover. This is especially important due to the length of the essay, first impressions and all that.

What will potentially add a lot of detail are the myriad of means that users can be infected with ransomware, and perhaps even expanding into the cryptography side of things (in particular, the public-private key encryption used in most ransomware schemes). Given the essay length, you will have a lot of room in detailing relevant technologies that are used in ransomware.

To go further, you would detail the payment and server setups used to collect, the crime rings that operate these servers, and efforts to bring them down.

The above is in addition to the surface technical details. What is key is to not see the length as a massive chore, rather, a very generous opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge and pursuit of it.

He's making my soul die from anxiety...  

I was planning to do a page for my intro and a page for my conclusion.  Though I suppose if it's single spaced those will be longer than if it was double spaced.

I'd have to keep how it works generalized since idk how that cryptography stuff works.  

Unless you could explain it in more detail and possibly find a source help as well?

Aside from history of ransomware, means of infection, how it works, would you have any other ideas for sub-topics with the 4 main sections?  

Specifically what exactly to type into google or the academic databases through my college's library?    

Knowing specially what phrases to search for eould help improve my search accuracy.  

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

The fact that phishing (fishing) has an accomplice (spearfishing)...

Yeah it does.  Did you not know that?  (To be fair I didn't either before taking this class.)

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Yeah it does.  Did you not know that?  (To be fair I didn't either before taking this class.)

I knew of phishing as a broad term, but my respect for the IT field died a bit after seeing "spear". Next thing we'll see is netphishing.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I knew of phishing as a broad term, but my respect for the IT field died a bit after seeing "spear". Next thing we'll see is netphishing.

I think it is meant to denote that this is a specialized type of phishing that uses different tactics, targets only a small number of people per attempt, and has different goals than a more broad phishing attack.  Spear is likely just used to mean the attacks are more pointed/focused.  

For this sort of stuff you can never quote wiki but the sources it links are totally fair game and therefore a great place to start.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransomware

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

https://krebsonsecurity.com/?s=ransomware&x=0&y=0

This guy is a well known IT security reporter and usually has some pretty decent sources that you find throughout his articles as well.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

17 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

For this sort of stuff you can never quote wiki but the sources it links are totally fair game and therefore a great place to start.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransomware

Thank you!  I think I might've found a few links I can use.  I hope so anyway.  

16 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/?s=ransomware&x=0&y=0

This guy is a well known IT security reporter and usually has some pretty decent sources that you find throughout his articles as well.

Thank you!  I'll take a look.

So I should use this but also look at sources he mentions?

Thank you!  I'll take a look.

So I should use this but also look at sources he mentions?

I would use him as well as looking at some of the sources he uses for additional sources for your paper if you need them.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Linus did a video on ransomware. Though it's not that great, you can use it as a way to start your intro in class if your professor intends to make you do a presentation.

5 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I would use him as well as looking at some of the sources he uses for additional sources for your paper if you need them.

Ok.

2 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Linus did a video on ransomware. Though it's not that great, you can use it as a way to start your intro in class if your professor intends to make you do a presentation.

It's an online class.  This is just a paper though there is a presentation for a separate assignment.  But idk what that will involve since I'm focused on the paper for now.