Trouble with Sub going to reciver

Up_in_Smoke

I have a old Pioneer sub that when i connect to my other old receiver it works but put it on the Pioneer receiver i want to use it doesnt play sound. The models on the sub is S-W20 and the receiver is VSX-D409. if you need picture let me know. Continuing i have a audio cable going from the sub to the receiver it worked fine before but not know.

1 minute ago, Kilobytez95 said:

How are you trying to hook up the sub? RCA or High-Level out from the receiver?

Not sure what you mean by RCA or High level out but its just one cable coming from sub to receiver its labeled Line level in.

Just now, Up_in_Smoke said:

Not sure what you mean by RCA or High level out but its just one cable coming from sub to receiver its labeled Line level in.

Ok, does the receiver have a subwoofer pre out?

Just now, Kilobytez95 said:

Ok, does the receiver have a subwoofer pre out?

Dont think so theres only one input and the subwoofer is self powered

1 minute ago, Up_in_Smoke said:

Can you upload a picture as a reply of the back? It's hard to help if I can't see what your outputs look like.

2 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

Can you upload a picture as a reply of the back? It's hard to help if I can't see what your outputs look like.

14808224757091600075685.jpg

7 minutes ago, Up_in_Smoke said:

There is a subwoofer pre out on the reciever. It's in a white square, have you tried that?

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

6 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

White square? it might be my bad picture but the only input is where the red cable is plugged in.

9 minutes ago, Up_in_Smoke said:

14808224757091600075685.jpg

Ok now send a picture showing were the red RCA cable plugs in on the back of your receiver.

Are you connecting it to the subwoofer preout on the receiver?

Just now, JohnT said:

Are you connecting it to the subwoofer preout on the receiver?

Doing both and it wont work

Doing both and it wont work

Well it's definitely the subwoofer pre-out. It's not going to work if you plug it into the 5.1 input. That is something completely different.

12 minutes ago, Up_in_Smoke said:

White square? it might be my bad picture but the only input is where the red cable is plugged in.

Looks like I was looking at the wrong reciever. Are there settings that you can adjust on the reciever for the sub?

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Just now, vong said:

Looks like I was looking at the wrong reciever. Are there settings that you can adjust on the reciever for the sub?

The Volume control in on the sub the only thing that can be changed on the reciever is the bass and trouble for the speakers also i dont see a button to enable the sub on the reciever and i dont have the remote it came with.

Have you checked your setting in the receiver? Do you have the subwoofer enabled? Are you sending 60 to 100 Hz to the sub as the crossover frequency? You also need to make sure you are sending the bass signals to your subwoofer and not *only* to your front speakers. After that. I noticed the knob on  your subwoofer is set to "min." That basically means off. Have you tried turning up the volume level?

i dont have the remote it came with

You might be completely out of luck. A "modern" receiver is typically useless without the remote, especially for bass management.

8 minutes ago, Up_in_Smoke said:

14808231976681481677536.jpg

Plug the sub into the black jack labeled sub woofer preout and check your output settings on the receiver. It should be set to something like stereo or matrix so it sends signal to all outputs.

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

You might be completely out of luck. A "modern" receiver is typically useless without the remote, especially for bass management.

This thing is from the early 2000s but yeah the remote would be helpful

2 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

Plug the sub into the black jack labeled sub woofer preout and check your output settings on the receiver. It should be set to something like stereo or matrix so it sends signal to all outputs.

I plugged in the cable and my music just stopped im currently trying to fix that

This thing is from the early 2000s but yeah the remote would be helpful

That's pretty modern compared to like the receivers from the early 1990's that had no bass management. Anything 2000 and newer needs its remote to properly set the menus. 

I plugged in the cable and my music just stopped im currently trying to fix that

Well if your sub is hooked up to the sub pre out then it should work on all output settings that sens a signal to the subout. try reconfiguring the output settings of the receiver because it doesn't seem like a problem with how it's hooked up. Also check the subs level.

1 minute ago, Kilobytez95 said:

Well if your sub is hooked up to the sub pre out then it should work on all output settings that sens a signal to the subout. try reconfiguring the output settings of the receiver because it doesn't seem like a problem with how it's hooked up. Also check the subs level.

I was able to fix the problem but the sub still wont play anything.

6 minutes ago, Up_in_Smoke said:

I was able to fix the problem but the sub still wont play anything.

Try outputting in stereo. Also if possible hook up your cellphone or something directly to the sub and see if it has an output