I would like your input on Project Dark Storm - Mark III

Hey Everyone.

So, almost 2 years ago, I built my first PC from scratch - with fairly decent hardware for the time,

1. Intel Core i5 4690k
  2. 16GB DDR3
  3. GTX 970

Well, almost 2 years later, and a few modifications later:

1. New Hard Drives
  2. New SSD
  3. New GPU - GTX 1070

Project Dark Storm is due for an upgrade once again.

Gaming, It does everything I need - for the time being, and maybe for maybe one more generation, But I feel that I need to upgrade based on other aspects I am using the system for, such as;

1. Game Development - unity, unreal engine - what ever else my university course decides to teach us...
  2. Video editing
  3. Virtualisation
  4. Servers

My i5 just isn't cutting it anymore - and my flat mate said he would by my CPU, Motherboard, Ram and Cooler to upgrade his FX-6100 system.

Trouble is, I'm not sure what route to go.

Do I go on the mainstream platform and go with the i7 6700k, or do I go to the enthusiast platform of x99 and get the i7 6800k?

I do want the extra cores for virtualisation and server use, but is it worth it? - I'd be able to afford the jump, but not too sure if the performance gap is worth the jump.

And a second question. My current build - Project Dark Storm, Mark II, It is currently a no frills, no lights, blacked out system (with some slight blue accents). I went this route as I wasn't a huge fan of the red and black colour scheme.

But now, I'm considering renaming and re-theming the build, the name I have in mind is "Project Lucifer" or "Project Poseidon", colour schemes Red and Blue respectively.

So, to summarise:

1. Which platform, z170 or x99
  2. What theme do I go with

Thanks for reading - and I would appreciate the feedback/advice.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

RGB for the colors if you want. then you can have the best of both Themes 16.8 Million Themes

Have you overclocked the i5? That can give you a significant boost in performance.

It really depends if your workload can benefit from all those cores. if your workload will use all cores available, then 6 cores will give you 33% more performance than 4 cores***

Just calculate the performance delta between 6700K and 6800K,  and calculate how much price difference there is between them, and decide if the price increase is justified.

*** Not counting the difference in clockspeed between 6700K and 6800K

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 hour ago, RadiatingLight said:

RGB for the colors if you want. then you can have the best of both Themes 16.8 Million Themes

Have you overclocked the i5? That can give you a significant boost in performance.

It really depends if your workload can benefit from all those cores. if your workload will use all cores available, then 6 cores will give you 33% more performance than 4 cores***

Just calculate the performance delta between 6700K and 6800K,  and calculate how much price difference there is between them, and decide if the price increase is justified.

*** Not counting the difference in clockspeed between 6700K and 6800K

the difference is 4 cores hyper threaded vs 6 cores hyper threaded

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6800K/3502vs3607

as you can see, the only performance increase is for multi core tasks, such as rendering