Old i5 or newer pentium?

I'm torn between getting an i5-750 + motherboard(guy is not sure if mobo works) $50

Or getting a pentium g3220 + motherboard $50

Or getting a i5-2400 + motherboard for $90 

or getting brand new pentium g4400 and buying brand new motherboard?

I also need memory. hdd and psu.

I'm building an htpc I also cant decide whats the best htpc case to use that accepts micro atx mobos and normal sizd psus.and is cheap.

Can my 9 year old laptop ddr3 memory work on a desktoop?

Also if I pick the i5-750 option I have to get a discrete gpu since the 750 has no igpu so what should I get??

get the 2400. it should do wel. No you can't use your laptop ram. For a gpu if you plan on gamming look at a 660Ti or a 760, 1050/1050ti or a rx 470

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

14 minutes ago, androthemofo said:

I'm torn between getting an i5-750 + motherboard(guy is not sure if mobo works) $50

I'm building an htpc I also cant decide whats the best htpc case to use that accepts micro atx mobos and normal sizd psus.and is cheap.

Also if I pick the i5-750 option I have to get a discrete gpu since the 750 has no igpu so what should I get??

If you plan to game: The i5-2400 without any doubt!

Pentiums may be newer but are dual core and suffer in modern games.

And if you plan only to use your htpc for movies and stuff: The Pentium G4400

If you decide to choose the Pentium, you don't necessarily need a "new" motherboard. You can search for a used one if you're on a budget.

And no you can't use laptop ram on desktop.

36 minutes ago, androthemofo said:

I would get an i5 for sure because there are some games that won't even run if you don't have a quad core. 

44 minutes ago, SameerSohail said:

If you plan to game: The i5-2400 without any doubt!

Pentiums may be newer but are dual core and suffer in modern games.

And if you plan only to use your htpc for movies and stuff: The Pentium G4400

If you decide to choose the Pentium, you don't necessarily need a "new" motherboard. You can search for a used one if you're on a budget.

And no you can't use laptop ram on desktop.

I plan to do light gaming, but what is your opinion about the i5-750? would it do me well?

1 hour ago, androthemofo said:

no but some m-ITX celeron boards fit laptop ram.

Have a look at the Silverstone Milo range. There are others but this is what I found from my local stores web site that is HTPC with ATX PSU

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/CHASVT0310/SilverStone-Milo-ML03B-MATX-HTPC-Desktop-Case-Blac

On the market are cheap ex-lease SFF pcs that look kind of like HTPC

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/EXWKSHP6305/HP-Elite-6300-Desktop-PC-OFF-LEASE-Business-SFF-In

for HTPC I would get one of those mini cards. The 1050Ti mini runs off the PCIe bus; no power cable required; so it should use less power than other cards

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

17 minutes ago, androthemofo said:

I plan to do light gaming, but what is your opinion about the i5-750? would it do me well?

Yes it will. but only for "light" gaming as you said.

You would want to pair it with a gpu like a gtx1050 or something similar.

2 hours ago, SameerSohail said:

I might just go with a used gpu perhaps.

1 minute ago, androthemofo said:

]]

I might ago with a used 750 ti or an rx 460 the only requirements i have is that it can kill todays modern consoles.

@SameerSohail will an i5-750 + rx 460 kill a console?

7 minutes ago, androthemofo said:

I might ago with a used 750 ti or an rx 460 the only requirements i have is that it can kill todays modern consoles.

It isn't that easy to "kill modern consoles".

When you compare console gpu to a pc gpu, the pc might win on paper..... but in reality the in-game performance would be very different due to optimization and such stuff. A 750Ti might look superior to some console gpu, but that doesn't mean it'll give smooth gameplay like a console does in a specific game.

It all really comes down to the game's optimization.

As you said before that you plan to do "light gaming" only, so a 750Ti should be enough.

But for anything above that, I recommend you to get at least a GTX 1050Ti. If you want used, then a GTX 960 perhaps.

2 minutes ago, androthemofo said:

@SameerSohail will an i5-750 + rx 460 kill a console?

2 minutes ago, SameerSohail said:

It isn't that easy to "kill modern consoles".

When you compare console gpu to a pc gpu, the pc might win on paper..... but in reality the in-game performance would be very different due to optimization and such stuff. A RX 460 or 750Ti might look superior to some console gpu, but that doesn't mean it'll give smooth gameplay like a console does in a specific game.

It all really comes down to the game's optimization.

As you said before that you plan to do "light gaming" only, so a 750Ti should be enough.

But for anything above that, I recommend you to get at least a GTX 1050Ti. If you want used, then a GTX 960 perhaps.

14 hours ago, SameerSohail said:

@SameerSohailWhat I meant by killing consoles is getting above console locked 30fps with higher settings than console.

2 hours ago, androthemofo said:

@SameerSohailWhat I meant by killing consoles is getting above console locked 30fps with higher settings than console.

Yeah i knew what you meant. And what i said was exactly about this problem.

When you game on console, you get a locked, fixed 30fps (nothing less, nothing more). But when you aim for just to beat that 30+ fps mark on pc, you can't really do that practically because majority of games suffer from dips and drops which cause stuttering. 

That's what i meant when i said you can't really "kill" consoles. This thing can't even be compared! You can't even compare things like graphics memory or processing cores between console and pc, both platforms work in very different ways. It's difficult trying to compare pc hardware with console and then saying "my pc is better than that console, so now i can game better than a console".

It just doesn't work this way.

But if you really want something that only gives you slightly better framerates and graphics than consoles on average, the GTX 1050Ti or the 4gb RX460 should be good enough. Anything below that is not really gonna be worth it.