What I hate about Windows 10

Eric Kazer

Hi,

The tittle should cover it:

1. The Action Center. It tells you that you should Try Office 365 all of the time, and other stupid bullshit. I've had emulators crash because of it on my Latte Panda.

2. Updating AMD drivers on 4K monitor. 

OK. Every time I update the driver and restart the computer after installing it, the icons are in a different spot. They are not even remotely close to where I had them.

3. Cumulative updates.

It seems that every week or every other week you get all of the updates dumped on you. This includes the Cumulative  update, the one that normally a half hour to download and install with a SSD, and thats fast for that one. If I'm useing a hard drive (which still is not uncommon) it can take 4 hours or more if the thing works. If it doesn't and it timed out you need to download it again. Normally fine on solid state storage. Also, if you upgraded from windows 7 it won't work as well.

4. If you gamed with anything requiring Direct X, the screen saver will not work. Trust me. Try it after play a game of GTA 4 or 5 or Rocket League. What the hell is that. My desktop does that (AMD R290X), and my laptop does that (Intel 4000 graphics). I hate image burn.

5. Automatic Updates.

Too hard to disable. Plus I think it only works in Pro. I had to watch Youtube video to figure it out. Resource hog. Crashes emulators on Latte Panda.

6. Revision Revision Revision

OS Upgrade every 6 months with windows 10.

It would be awesome, but it is so in your face about every little thing like Office 365 when I'm happy with 2011 that I don't need to renew every year, & that it scanned you computer 4 times in 1 hour. The Action center is annoying. Right Now when I checked it yep Scanned and Get Office. What The Fuck! What they did with Windows 7 is another topic. People got screwed if they didn't install Windows 10 after end date when they reserved it. This and the fact that the updater in Windows 7 works like shit, kind of forces Windows 10. Windows 7 is broken intentionally.

Well, that's about it.

Eric

Windows 7 is not intentionally broken, it just sucks.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

If you used windows in the 90/2000s you wouldnt have half of these complaints, updates are so much better than they use to be and rolling them back is super easy too.

see:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/2008/06/24/full-text-an-epic-bill-gates-e-mail-rant/

So I gave up and sent mail to Amir saying – where is this Moviemaker download? Does it exist?

So they told me that using the download page to download something was not something they anticipated.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

59 minutes ago, Eric Kazer said:

Hi,

1. The Action Center. It tells you that you should Try Office 365 all of the time, and other stupid bullshit. I've had emulators crash because of it on my Latte Panda.

OK. Every time I update the driver and restart the computer after installing it, the icons are in a different spot. They are not even remotely close to where I had them.

3. Cumulative updates.

It seems that every week or every other week you get all of the updates dumped on you. This includes the Cumulative  update, the one that normally a half hour to download and install with a SSD, and thats fast for that one. If I'm useing a hard drive (which still is not uncommon) it can take 4 hours or more if the thing works. If it doesn't and it timed out you need to download it again. Normally fine on solid state storage. Also, if you upgraded from windows 7 it won't work as well.

4. If you gamed with anything requiring Direct X, the screen saver will not work. Trust me. Try it after play a game of GTA 4 or 5 or Rocket League. What the hell is that. My desktop does that (AMD R290X), and my laptop does that (Intel 4000 graphics). I hate image burn.

5. Automatic Updates.

Too hard to disable. Plus I think it only works in Pro. I had to watch Youtube video to figure it out. Resource hog. Crashes emulators on Latte Panda.

It would be awesome, but it is so in your face about every little thing like Office 365 when I'm happy with 2011 that I don't need to renew every year, & that it scanned you computer 4 times in 1 hour. The Action center is annoying. Right Now when I checked it yep Scanned and Get Office. What The Fuck! What they did with Windows 7 is another topic. People got screwed if they didn't install Windows 10 after end date when they reserved it. This and the fact that the updater in Windows 7 works like shit, kind of forces Windows 10. Windows 7 is broken intentionally.

Well, that's about it.

Eric

Well let's see...

1. You can turn off Action Center: http://www.howtogeek.com/244539/how-to-disable-the-action-center-in-windows-10/
  2. On the desktop? The drivers probably uninstall everything then reinstall everything, which includes removing the icon on the desktop.
  3. Microsoft rolls updates out every month on "Patch Tuesday." If you really don't want updates to download at all, there's a trick: http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/
  4. Anything that keeps the system awake or active won't trigger the screen saver. This is by design. Besides, why use a screen saver? Just have Windows shut the display off after some time. A screen saver still uses active elements and if you use something like Bubbles, you're going to burn in whatever was in the back ground. Also don't run on the highest display brightness. If you're using an LCD, then that all goes out the window and screensavers don't do diddly squat.
  5. See point 3. Windows may still bug you about it though.
  6. That's kind of the point with Microsoft's new business model. And every six months is an exaggeration. They've only had one major update and it was a year after the OS release.

1 hour ago, Eric Kazer said:

Hi,

Maybe because of I have Office 365, I don't have these alerts. But this is how to disable them:

You can either:

• Uninstall the Office Trial app, by simply right-clicking on it form the start menu and select "Uninstall".
    or
  • You can go to Settings > System > Notifications > Notifications & Actions. Go down in the list and find the Office app, and toggle it off.

I recommend the second one, as there is an issue in the current Windows 10 release which has tendency of re-appearing uninstall built-in apps. This has been fix soon after this latest release of Windows was released, but only Insiders gets to enjoy it. It will be released in March to the general public as the Windows 10 Creators Update.

That would be your GPU drivers fault or a design issue at a hardware level (can't be fixed, until you change your GPU to some newer AMD architecture chip that will come in the future, assuming you have the latest one). This is something AMD needs to be fix. Nvidia problem is if you have a 4K monitor on DisplayPort and lower-resolution on DVI, the DVI monitor will not be detected after a driver update, until you unplug the DVI monitor, restart the system, and plug it back in (turning on and off the monitor does not work, you need to physically disconnect the cable). This issue affects both the 900 and 1000 series GPUs. It happens regardless of the OS you use.

3. Cumulative updates.

Something is wrong. It is portably failing to install. The last one was November 9, 2016, as you can see here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

Some good news: With the new Windows 10 release called: Creators Update (aka: Redstone 2) coming in March, Windows Update will compare files between server and your system, and download what it needs, reducing significantly bandwidth and time for future updates (although, scanning might take more time... the system is still being in placed for the Insiders, so we will need to wait and see how it works)

Monitors should not have image burn in. Even the latest gen CRT monitors are difficult to have image burn in (i know, I had one, while everyone was jumping on the LCD bandwagon). OLED displays are also becomes much better at preventing this problem, as more technological advancement in OLED technology are made.

5. Automatic Updates.

If you go to Start > Settings > Updates & Security > Windows Update, you can define your active hours. It should install any updates during the mentioned period.

How is that bad? Google is faster than this on Android. Apple is pretty fast as well. We need faster releases. The "wait 3 years" is idiotic in this day in age. It also allows actual fixes to security issues, and not just patch works delivered to people faster.  In previous version of Windows, it was a patch, and if you wanted an actual fix where it requires actual back architectural changes, you had to wait for the next Windows. In addition, you have access to new features and improvements as soon as they are ready.

1 hour ago, SCHISCHKA said:

If you used windows in the 90/2000s you wouldnt have half of these complaints, updates are so much better than they use to be and rolling them back is super easy too.

see:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/2008/06/24/full-text-an-epic-bill-gates-e-mail-rant/

Yup. Window Update in Windows 95 all the way to XP was nothing but horrible!

• You had to use IE. The hole things was a web app with ActiveX (opening mass security holes a well).
  • it was extremely buggy
  • if it brakes, you are looking at a system re-install
  • if IE broke due to virus or malware, or one of those stupid toolbars... too bad for you! Re-install Windows.
  • It took AGES to scan for updates
  • Windows Update system and the Background updater were fighting. So if you manually check for updates and say, downloading them, the background updater could come and go "Hey! You have updates available.. let me, myself, download them...". So congrats, now you are downloading the update twice.
  • Windows Update was stupid "Service Pack fails to install due to account restrictions.... re-downloading!!!! Service Pack fails to install due to account restrictions.... re-downloading!!!! Service Pack fails to install due to account restrictions.... re-downloading!!!! Service Pack fails to install due to account restrictions.... re-downloading!!!!....." Thanks! It was doing this until you login as Admin, so that the install process could pass.

As for complaints on Windows 10.

Every new release of Windows leads to a great number of complaints... then when a new version of Windows comes out "Oh! Last one was better! / The best!". Apple is started to get similar backlash as well these days. See already people say how Windows 8 was great, while before "OMG! Windows 8! the worst creation ever made by man kind! I would prefer to use a virus as an OS!", and before that "Windows XP for life! No Windows 7! It sucks! I don't want this transparency shit!", and so on, and so forth.

15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Oh really? I think you have memory holes. Windows Update in Windows 95 all the way to XP was nothing more than an insult to humanity.

thats what im saying. i did not say they use to be better?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

thats what im saying. i did not say they use to be better?

Sorry I miss read your reply. Already fixed my post.. I just noticed after re-reading.

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Sorry I miss read your reply. Already fixed my post.. I just noticed after re-reading.

that email from bill gates pretty much describes the old win xp upgrade process that I remember. It was a horrible web site to find the correct patch. I use to just reinstall at the end of every school term & back up to a million floppies haha

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 12/2/2016 at 8:55 PM, Technicolors said:

OLED panel?

Don't know, newer panel. year and a half old. manual does ward of burn in.

Point is not about image burn. About screen saver not working after gaming.

I've used Win 2000, XP (Preferred over Vista), Vista (horrible resource hog always at 100% cpu usage), Windows 7 (was Great till Windows 10), Windows 8, 8.1 & 10. With all windows OS's, you love and hate them except for Vista, loved the look, hated performance. I was glad when windows 7 appeared. Windows 8 was good once you created all of your shortcuts. 8.1 was about the same. At least windows 10 Has a decent start menu. Windows 10 Anniversary is much better. I don't use Edge browser, I Use chrome. Screw Edge. IE 11 sucks too, ether way they both suck. Maybe that's why they sell Chromebooks now. The fact action center defaults advertising is annoying. Cumulative Updates are more than likely needed for security.

For what it is worth, I did the test on my side, where I played 3 games DirectX and OpenGL, on the latest insider build (14971), and the screen saver kicked in just fine by itself. I don't have a system with the official release of Windows 10 to confirm the bug you have.

• 3 weeks later...

Its strange that my laptop does the same thing with the screen saver. I just restart when I'm done gaming. Try it w/ GTA 5. I know that has all updates.