Yellow Motherboards?

Ive noticed that there are a few z87 1150 socket Mobos with black a yellow color schemes, such as the MPOWER z87.  But I can't seem to find a single z170 1151 socket to match a theme build. 

ASRock Formula. That board is damn good and well yellow

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

I currently have an MSI z170 Krait gaming from my first ever build from when I was learning about building a pc and all the parts.  And from what I've learned in a year is that most boards are better than what I currently have haha.  I'll look at the specs

I will also suggest the ASRock OC Formula... basically one of the best LGA1151 motherboards you can buy.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

3 minutes ago, AlgaeEater said:

I currently have an MSI z170 Krait gaming from my first ever build from when I was learning about building a pc and all the parts.  And from what I've learned in a year is that most boards are better than what I currently have haha.  I'll look at the specs

well ASRock boards are just damn good right now.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

11 minutes ago, AlgaeEater said:

tbh there's very little difference between a good board, and a less good board. it's the horrible ones best to stay away from xD

and from recently having bought multiple mobo's, i'll say this:

asrock is cheap, but it's cheap because beyond a motheroard they dont bother with overly fancy packaging, "high end" sata cables, and BS like that. it's *just a good motherboard* :P

Thanks for all the responses guys :).  One more noob question though, just to get a perspective on what to look for exactly.  What makes this Asrock blow away everything else related to it?

1 minute ago, AlgaeEater said:

Thanks for all the responses guys :).  One more noob question though, just to get a perspective on what to look for exactly.  What makes this Asrock blow away everything else related to it?

tbh, it's more personal preference than "blowing the competition away"

- asus is a very proud company that wants to do the best they can, even at the low end, which reflects in price sadly.

- asrock is amazing in terms of "features per dollar" and they like their crazy stuff like the x99 mini itx boards :D

- MSI.. has their moments, those moments are usually the krait or pc mate boards

- gigabyte.. i have very little experience with, they kinda put me off because they're kinda cheap looking

- EVGA.. i couldnt tell you, they basicly dont exist here :P

32 minutes ago, AlgaeEater said:

To put it in very basic terms, it's one of the best motherboards when it comes to hardcore overclocking, especially memory overclocking... many records have been obtained using the OC Formula. It has a good number of BIOS and general overclocking features to say the least.

But something tells me that you're not that concerned with that calibre of overclocking... either way, it's a very good motherboard that happens to be black and yellow.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

27 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

To put it in very basic terms, it's one of the best motherboards when it comes to hardcore overclocking, especially memory overclocking... many records have been obtained using the OC Formula. It has a good number of BIOS and general overclocking features to say the least.

But something tells me that you're not that concerned with that calibre of overclocking... either way, it's a very good motherboard that happens to be black and yellow.

At the moment I don't know much about OC. But I have been researching it and very interesting into getting into it in the future. 

I've slowly been getting into PC building since about a year ago. I knew nothing then but now have my own custom built!

ill do more research on the board (:. 

Anyone have any recommendations on pure white boards?

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

Personally I love red, but I couldn't help myself to get one.

One of the best mobos I had so far..

1 hour ago, AlgaeEater said:

Because of its ram overclocking abilities afaik. There are alot of mobos with good cpu oc. But not everyone gets memory overclocking right. Asrock has high quality components all around and is cheaper(usually) than the competition. 

Great board, yellow and black. You can feel proud to own one.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

tbh there's very little difference between a good board, and a less good board. it's the horrible ones best to stay away from xD

and from recently having bought multiple mobo's, i'll say this:

asrock is cheap, but it's cheap because beyond a motheroard they dont bother with overly fancy packaging, "high end" sata cables, and BS like that. it's *just a good motherboard* :P

There's a difference between Asrock's boards though.  Their OC Formula line has been in the past and still is completely different in terms of build quality and attention to detail. Their other boards are nothing special, and somewhat cheap.  Their OC Formula line is basically like the K|NGP|N from EVGA, they work with "Nick Shih", a professional overclocker to help design them.  It's why his signature is on the board, and why he only uses their boards for setting records.

2 hours ago, AlgaeEater said:

Ive noticed that there are a few z87 1150 socket Mobos with black a yellow color schemes, such as the MPOWER z87.  But I can't seem to find a single z170 1151 socket to match a theme build. 

The OC Formula is probably the best bet for Z170 yellow & black.

I have the M-ATX Version, which is basically a slightly more memory-overclocking oriented version of the non ATX version. (That's why it has 2 memory slots, it's better for memory overclocking, less stress on the CPU and a few other reasons.)

I've owned both the full size and m-atx version, here's some imgur pics of both.

Ignore the splotches on the Plastic shroud bit on the I/O, that was me damaging it, not the boards fault. 

5oN285P.jpg?1

MOCF album:

http://imgur.com/a/xRZUS

Rig picture:

s7JV1.png

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

11 minutes ago, lukart said:

Personally I love red, but I couldn't help myself to get one.

One of the best mobos I had so far..

Well I love red, but I have enough of it in PCs, it is just a bit over used IMO

1 minute ago, Lays said:

There's a difference between Asrock's boards though.  Their OC Formula line has & is completely different in terms of build quality and attention to detail. Their other boards are nothing special, and somewhat cheap.  Their OC Formula line is basically like the K|NGP|N from EVGA, they work with "Nik Shih", a professional overclocker to help design them.  It's why his signature is on the board, and why he only uses their boards for setting records.

my point still stands, compare asrock's OC formula pricing with other manufacturer's offerings and you'll notice that they are still the cheaper option for similar options.

Just now, manikyath said:

my point still stands, compare asrock's OC formula pricing with other manufacturer's offerings and you'll notice that they are still the cheaper option for similar options.

Just because it's a 200$ board doesn't mean it's bad quality though, is what I'm trying to say. A majority of the reason it's cheaper is because they don't put 12341234 BS features that people don't need that bad, and tack on another $300 to the pricetag lol. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Just now, Lays said:

Just because it's a 200$ board doesn't mean it's bad quality though, is what I'm trying to say. A majority of the reason it's cheaper is because they don't put 12341234 BS features that people don't need that bad, and tack on another $300 to the pricetag lol. 

i never said bad quality, that's what you made of it.

and the second half of your post, is you basicly repeating what i actually said ;)

Extremely strong VRM, great VRM cooling, the software they have for windows tuning is really nice, it has basically the bare essentials, and no extra frills.  Overclocks extremely well and should require slightly less voltage to achieve stability vs other boards in it's price range, due to strong VRM. 

The BIOS is FANTASTIC, I've owned about 5 or 6 current gen motherboards in the last few years, and it has the best BIOS I've dealt with so far. 

If you get the M-ATX version and ever get into memory overclocking, with a good set of DDR4, you can achieve insane speeds with extremely low latencies.  The board will basically let you set nearly any setting to memory timings and it'll almost always boot.  I've had other boards where you have to do all kinds of BS to get certain timings to work, on this board it'll almost always boot first try. 

With good DDR4 and the m-atx version, you can see memory overclocks beyond 4000 mhz, and if you have "samsung's b-die" DDR4, you can see latencies extremely low as well.

This was a test from a while back, 4105 mhz at 12-11-11-28 1T, from the stock 3600 mhz 16-16-16-36 2T my kit is rated at:

(Keep in mind that's not a 24/7 setting, a 24/7 setting would be more like 3733 15-16-16-35 1T)

ooHIB.png

8 minutes ago, Lays said:

Extremely strong VRM, great VRM cooling, the software they have for windows tuning is really nice, it has basically the bare essentials, and no extra frills.  Overclocks extremely well and should require slightly less voltage to achieve stability vs other boards in it's price range, due to strong VRM. 

The BIOS is FANTASTIC, I've owned about 5 or 6 current gen motherboards in the last few years, and it has the best BIOS I've dealt with so far. 

If you get the M-ATX version and ever get into memory overclocking, with a good set of DDR4, you can achieve insane speeds with extremely low latencies.  The board will basically let you set nearly any setting to memory timings and it'll almost always boot.  I've had other boards where you have to do all kinds of BS to get certain timings to work, on this board it'll almost always boot first try. 

With good DDR4 and the m-atx version, you can see memory overclocks beyond 4000 mhz, and if you have "samsung's b-die" DDR4, you can see latencies extremely low as well.

This was a test from a while back, 4105 mhz at 12-11-11-28 1T, from the stock 3600 mhz 16-16-16-36 2T my kit is rated at:

(Keep in mind that's not a 24/7 setting, a 24/7 setting would be more like 3733 15-16-16-35 1T)

ooHIB.png

It does sound quality. I only wish it was as clean looking as the z97 MPower to go for a clean and powerful show off build 

At the moment I don't know much about OC. But I have been researching it and very interesting into getting into it in the future. 

I've slowly been getting into PC building since about a year ago. I knew nothing then but now have my own custom built!

ill do more research on the board (:. 

Anyone have any recommendations on pure white boards?

The closest I can think of is the ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S... unfortunately, there's no 'clean' white Z170 motherboards I can recall.

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, AlgaeEater said:

It does sound quality. I only wish it was as clean looking as the z97 MPower to go for a clean and powerful show off build 

I had a Z97 M Power a while back as well, good board.

The Asrock Z170 OC Formula is indeed a very good board.

Its not the best board out there of course.

But its definitelly one of the best boards arround the $200,- ish price point.

And you dont have much other choice anyways if you want black yellow..

But i could highly recommend it, because the vrm implementation is really nice.

Its a very good board for overclockers.

Because this particular boards is using the IR35201 fully digital pwm.

This gives you all the bells and whissles in the bios that you would need for a decent overclocking experiance.

Good Lord @Lays 4100 cas 12. :o

I've been wanting to try an Asrock just never have, the only boards I avoid are MSI. I will never buy another, haven't had one of those since probably 2006.

How high have you been able to push a standard set of 2400 or 2666 for 24/7 OC?

4 hours ago, DunePilot said:

Good Lord @Lays 4100 cas 12. :o

I've been wanting to try an Asrock just never have, the only boards I avoid are MSI. I will never buy another, haven't had one of those since probably 2006.

How high have you been able to push a standard set of 2400 or 2666 for 24/7 OC?

I've only messed with my 3600 kit, and I've only tried once for a 24/7 clock but I managed to go from 3600 16-16-16-36 2T to 3733 14-15-15-35 1T I think

If I could be bothered maybe I could do 3866 14-14-14-32 1T perhaps, but stability testing with ram I'd annoying as heck