NVIDIA GRID Technology to Power Playcast Cloud-Gaming Solution

everything count to life

NVIDIA today announced that NVIDIA GRID technology is powering the Playcast cloud gaming service being offered to customers of French fixed and mobile operator Bouygues Telecom. The service is available on TVs for users of Bouygues Telecom's Bbox Sensation set-top box for instant gaming on more than 50 titles.

Read more at: http://www.techpowerup.com/193417/nvidia-grid-technology-to-power-playcast-cloud-gaming-solution.html

So it appears nivida is now using there GRID technology to power cloud gaming services which I reckon is pretty cool and smart, what are your thoughts?

You can't walk out of your own story - Rango

I don't like the idea of cloud gaming...

1. You have to have an good internet connection (ok I got 12.5Mb/s down/2up/12secPing) but most internet users have to slow connections for doing HD streaming and to low Ping for good reaction times.

2. The game runs on a server so you have no options to install mods ore change your settings

3. The Game ist streamed to you as an Video so you have codec artefacts and generally only 720p/1800p. With multi monitor setups? Fail!

4. Why do we all pump our money in cool locking/fast PCs? To "watch a stream" on it?

5. I don´t like the Idea of storing my games and save games in a cloud… What happens with my games (which are worth some money) if the streaming service goes broke? Ok, its the same thing with steam etc. but the I have at least a copy of the game on my HDD/SSD

My thoughts are cloud gaming can burn in a hole until we all get gigabit speeds and extremely low latencies.

THATS the main point!

1. You have to have an good internet connection (ok I got 12.5Mb/s down/2up/12secPing) but most internet users have to slow connections for doing HD streaming and to low Ping for good reaction times.

2. The game runs on a server so you have no options to install mods ore change your settings

3. The Game ist streamed to you as an Video so you have codec artefacts and generally only 720p/1800p. With multi monitor setups? Fail!

4. Why do we all pump our money in cool locking/fast PCs? To "watch a stream on it?

5. I don´t like the Idea of storing my games and save games in a cloud… What happens with my games (which are worth some money) if the streaming service goes broke? Ok, its the same thing with steam etc. but the I have at least a copy of the game on my HDD/SSD

I dont think that this is aimed on gamers. In my opinion it is aimed on people that play games under 10 hours a week if they feel like there is nothing else to do.

But I do agree that you need to have good connection or at least decent iné in order to be able play even SP.

I dont think that this is aimed on gamers. In my opinion it is aimed on people that play games under 10 hours a week if they feel like there is nothing else to do.

But I do agree that you need to have good connection or at least decent iné in order to be able play even SP.

Yah, maybe. And its cheap. In best case scenario you have your TV and connect a Gamepad to the TV, plug the LAN in (or connect it to your WLAN), buy a game and you are good to go

This is even cheaper than a console.

4. Why do we all pump our money in cool locking/fast PCs? To "watch a stream" on it?

I agree 100%

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

i agree to an extent i like to do all that stuff etc i think cloud gaming should be a thing in the sense of being able to play pc games on a tablet or my laptop/ultrabook that has no gpu that i can play when im on holiday etc i dont want it to replace my desktop tho for all the things u said and yea we need gigabit speeds everywhere (i want 1TB/s lol)

I agree 100% with all your points, but there are some scenarios where cloud gaming can be great and as we progress into the future I imagine it will get much better. 

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

For a single player game, like ac or something, sure why not. For a competitive shooter or moba, never.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree 100% with all your points, but there are some scenarios where cloud gaming can be great and as we progress into the future I imagine it will get much better. 

Ya… for things with no GPU its an option… but Tablets and phones are getting SO powerful now. I thinks we don´t need it. At home I am able to stream my stuff aug of my PC (Shield) and on holiday my iPad is fast enough (A6x)

Ya… for things with no GPU its an option… but Tablets and phones are getting SO powerful now. I thinks we don´t need it. At home I am able to stream my stuff aug of my PC (Shield) and on holiday my iPad is fast enough (A6x)

Yes mobile devices are getting exponentially more powerful, but the requirements to run games are as well.  It will be a while until mobile hardware can meet the requirements of the most demanding games (at high screen res).  In the interim cloud gaming will probably be "the solution" and bundled together with NAS/storage solutions and sold to homeowners.  Might even become an integrated feature in houses.

I don't think that all this cloud crap is the best solution; it's an overly complex solution.  But it is where the industry is going.  Only thing I want is to be able to play PC games on my Shield no matter where I am via mobile network :D

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Yes mobile devices are getting exponentially more powerful, but the requirements to run games are as well.  It will be a while until mobile hardware can meet the requirements of the most demanding games (at high screen res).  In the interim cloud gaming will probably be "the solution" and bundled together with NAS/storage solutions and sold to homeowners.  Might even become an integrated feature in houses.

I don't think that all this cloud crap is the best solution; it's an overly complex solution.  But it is where the industry is going.  Only thing I want is to be able to play PC games on my Shield no matter where I am via mobile network :D

I myself am running a MacMini server as my "private cloud" But streaming games: No (ok the mac mini is even not powerful enough)

but ya for the average "consolero" this might be a thing… but not for us "high end Gamers"

Chances are, they'll get ISP to work with them so that people subscribed to the services will be able to get a stable connection and low latencies for cloud gaming.
OR the cable companies/ISPs will start their own cloud gaming services.