Not enjoying Half LIfe

Yoo Song Won

So I just got Half Life 1 and 2 and for some reason, I'm not enjoying either.

Half Life 1 was fun at the start but it got so repetitive and boring, that I was practically forcing myself to carry on playing the game.

Half Life 2 seemed to have a lot more in store. The intro scene and the introduction of characters was making me really hopeful. The sci-fi aspect and dialogue was really interesting but then it just went downhill for me. It got back to just repeatedly shooting enemies and solving very dull puzzles.  

I think with both games, it's just the constant repetitiveness of the gameplay that got me bored and, frankly, gave me a headache.Exploration too was really boring and bland for me.

The same happened with me with Skyrim. The gameplay was really repetitive and was a bit boring for me but the story and open world kept me engaged a bit longer.  

So overall, I've played about 3 - 4 hours of Half Life 1 and 2 - 3 hours of Half Life 2. Am I missing something? Is it just my opinion on games? Will it eventually get better? 

I really want to like Half Life and it saddens me to say that I have not been enjoying it at all so far.

I personally enjoy other games like Telltale's: The Walking Dead, Batman: Arkham games, Tomb Raider (Old and new), Uncharted, The Last of Us, (Old) Lego Games, Mirror's Edge and other RPGs. 

I don't see why Half Life (And Skyrim up to a certain point) is any different to me.

Half-Life 1 was built on old principles of game design in the 90s. Back then most first person shooters were basically running through corridors, blowing up bad guys, finding a key or switch to open a door. The only thing Half-Life did different was integrate a story in the mix, but it was mostly the same formula.  All Half-Life 2 added were physics puzzles and a car. So if you're not enjoying them now, you're not going to enjoy them at all because that's what it is.

EDIT: It's okay if you don't like it. Nobody's forcing you to like it. I think Wolfenstein 3D is a boring game, even when I try to compare it to all other games during the time.

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Half-Life 1 was built on old principles of game design in the 90s. Back then most first person shooters were basically running through corridors, blowing up bad guys, finding a key or switch to open a door. The only thing Half-Life did different was integrate a story in the mix, but it was mostly the same formula.  All Half-Life 2 added were physics puzzles and a car. So if you're not enjoying them now, you're not going to enjoy them at all because that's what it is.

EDIT: It's okay if you don't like it. Nobody's forcing you to like it. I think Wolfenstein 3D is a boring game, even when I try to compare it to all other games during the time.

It's weird because it's not like I don't enjoy old classic games. The original Tomb Raider games I enjoy. Maybe it's simply because I grew up with them. 

Half life, while at its time an advanced game with unique physics, by todays standards in honestly subpar. 

the engine has not aged well, the gameplay is extremely linear, and the story is/was imo never really that good. 

the only reason its so highly spoken of today is honestly just the nostalgia factor. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

You are not the only one. I stopped HL2 in mid game since it was that too boring for my taste. That was about 10 years ago. Still can't bring myself to finish it. It's very subjective. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.