First Rig and I Have a Few Concerns...

Go to solution Solved by Kaasgeelheid,

Things you can save your money on if you want/need to

- SSD, doesn't need to be that large

- CPU Cooler, never heard of it and pretty expensive

- RAM, not sure on this one, you only need 8GB for gaming but 16GB can be handy for things like video editing

- PSU, doesn't need to be that large if you aren't planning to crossfire in the near future. If you aren't, +- 600w would be fine

- Blu-Ray drive, this is my opinion, but if you really want one get one.

Like many other people said, R7-260x certainly won't get you playable frames in BF4 on very high, but it seems like your budget allows something like a 7950/760/270x so I would go for that. Maybe see if you can push it to a 7970, they're incredibly cheap right now.

And wow, why did no one read the OP?

Hey guys! Planning my first rig and I have a few questions from a computer noob (me) to some computer pros (you).

So far I really like what I have setup but I'm a little worried about some parts and I would like to hear your feedback.

So first I should probably mention what this build will be used for. I will be doing a decent amount of gaming on this rig, games include Minecraft, BF4 at very high settings, COD at very high settings, Portal 2, I also will be doing animation with Autodesk Maya, and recording/ uploading to youtube, and last but not least programming with java and game design.

I have no doubt that this rig will perform beyond my wildest dreams but I wan't to hear your opinions. One thing I might consider changing are the cpu cooler however I do like the idea of fanless as this rig must be silent and I have no interest in overclocking.

PLEASE don't comment about my choice of keyboard and mouse because I have my reasons and I'd rather not explain.

Please keep in mind I would like to keep this build at about $1500 or less.

GPU is not listed because it is the new AMD R7 260X or the R9 290X (haven't decided) and PcPartPicker does not have them listed yet.

Any Questions feel free to ask and I will answer them ASAP! I hope to hear your thoughts!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/NerdNinja/saved/2xYd

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

no gpu???

Fx-8150 @ 4.7Ghz/Corsair h110/asus hd7770 1gb/Gigabyte 990fxa ud3/corsair xms3 4Gb 1333Mhz 8-8-8-20/WD scorpio black 250GB/hp w19ev/nox nx520/logitech access keyboard (y-sr34)/1life gm:lightning/

no gpu???

Look at the comments on the parts list :)

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

BF4 with high setting with No dedicated gpu?

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

E: Do you have the gpu already then?

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Everything looks ok apart from

• I don't know about the motherboard, since i don't use AMD CPUs
  • Where is your GPU
  • You don't need 16gb of RAM
  • That is one big SSD
  • Thermal Compound should come with the cooler

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Look at the comments on the parts list :)

thats still not going to get you very high setting on BF4 unless you have a very low res monitor {playable}

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

i dont think you can play bf4 in very high with that gpu

Fx-8150 @ 4.7Ghz/Corsair h110/asus hd7770 1gb/Gigabyte 990fxa ud3/corsair xms3 4Gb 1333Mhz 8-8-8-20/WD scorpio black 250GB/hp w19ev/nox nx520/logitech access keyboard (y-sr34)/1life gm:lightning/

thats still not going to get you very high setting on BF4 unless you have a very low res monitor {playable}

One 1080p Monitor, I'd tell you the model but I don't know off the top of my head 

You won't be able to play BF4 very well with a R7 260x

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

If you want a fanless cooler, you can go for a Deepcool Lucifer. Looks better than your zalman one imo and its a bit cheaper.

lno gpu???

Look at the notes.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

One 1080p Monitor, I'd tell you the model but I don't know off the top of my head 

that gpu cant handle bf4 in that resolution and very high settings go r9 280x

If BF3 on 260x at ultra averages at just under 40 FPS, unless mantle is magic (might be nobody knows) you will have a hard time in BF4 at anything more than medium/high....

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Get a 120gb ssd and 8gb of RAM

Then invest more into your GPU

no gpu???

not needed...

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Also don't get that cooler, it's a gimmick

Either stick with stock or get a water cooler 

Things you can save your money on if you want/need to

- SSD, doesn't need to be that large

- CPU Cooler, never heard of it and pretty expensive

- RAM, not sure on this one, you only need 8GB for gaming but 16GB can be handy for things like video editing

- PSU, doesn't need to be that large if you aren't planning to crossfire in the near future. If you aren't, +- 600w would be fine

- Blu-Ray drive, this is my opinion, but if you really want one get one.

Like many other people said, R7-260x certainly won't get you playable frames in BF4 on very high, but it seems like your budget allows something like a 7950/760/270x so I would go for that. Maybe see if you can push it to a 7970, they're incredibly cheap right now.

And wow, why did no one read the OP?

THE signature

no gpu???

Read

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.