i7-6850K vs i7-6700K

so i am building a new pc and i have the choice between these two chips.... im not familiar with 2011v2 socket type or really much of anything about the i7-6850K.

id plan on paring it with a 980 if that matters

big questions i have.

why is i7-6850K broadwell, but newer?

i7-6850K seems to have a lower clock speed but it has better benchmarking. Why?

For gaming and lite editing what chip would you go with if they where the same price?

Is being broadwell a bad thing over skylake.

thanks all

CPU- Intel i9 9900k | Motherboard- ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I | RAM- Kingston HyperX 32GB | GPU- Nvidia 2080ti Reference

Case- NCase v6.1 | Storage- x2 2tb WD m.2  | PSU- Corsair SF750 | Cooling- NZXT Kraken X52

The i7 6700K will do just fine for what you want. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

1 minute ago, GETxHIPFIREDx said:

so i am building a new pc and i have the choice between these two chips.... im not familiar with 2011v2 socket type or really much of anything about the i7-6850K.

big questions i have.

For gaming and lite editing what chip would you go with if they where the same price?

thanks all

OK, the 2011v3 socket type is a larger socket meant for workstation-tier i7s and Xeons

the i7 6850k is Broadwell-E, not Broadwell, just like the 5820k is Haswell-E, not haswell. the actual chip has nothing to do with broadwell. 

For what you need, you do not need a $500 CPU, get the 6700k. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

It is broadwell because it is running on the X99 chipset.

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

3 minutes ago, GETxHIPFIREDx said:

big questions i have.

thanks all

Also, the 6850k is a 6 core, just because it has a lower clock speed doesnt mean it will perform worse. 

Also, if something is broadwell or haswell or skylake, it shouldn't affect your decision, you should look at price, performance and features. 

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Just now, Stardar1 said:

OK, the 2011v3 socket type is a larger socket meant for workstation-tier i7s and Xeons

the i7 6850k is Broadwell-E, not Broadwell, just like the 5820k is Haswell-E, not haswell. the actual chip has nothing to do with broadwell. 

For what you need, you do not need a $500 CPU, get the 6700k. 

id be buying from a friend. i would be paying the same for both cards. would there be a downside to the i7-6850K

CPU- Intel i9 9900k | Motherboard- ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I | RAM- Kingston HyperX 32GB | GPU- Nvidia 2080ti Reference

Case- NCase v6.1 | Storage- x2 2tb WD m.2  | PSU- Corsair SF750 | Cooling- NZXT Kraken X52

Just now, GETxHIPFIREDx said:

id be buying from a friend. i would be paying the same for both cards. would there be a downside to the i7-6850K

The 6700k would be better for gaming, and has much cheaper motherboards. 

Solitaire. 

2 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

It is broadwell because it is running on the X99 chipset.

Broadwell runs on the LGA 1150 socket and Z97, Broadwell-E is a different chipset entirely. 

Solitaire. 

3 minutes ago, GETxHIPFIREDx said:

big questions i have.

1. Because first Intel releases a smaller chip with fewer cores, because that's easier to manufacture. Then they later release a larger version of the same architecture, just with more cores etc.

2. Because it has more cores.

3. 6700K. The 6850K would be faster for heavier video editing etc.

4. Broadwell is an older and slightly slower architecture (per core). But it's only a small difference. The extra cores on the 6850K makes a bigger difference - once you are actually using that many cores in the first place. Games generally don't.

6 minutes ago, GETxHIPFIREDx said:

1: It's Broadwell-E, which is the X99 variant of Broadwell.

2: More cores, more threads, more cache.

3: If they were the same price, 6850K, obviously. But the 6700K is cheaper (almost all of the time), so if the 6700K is cheaper get that.

4: Not really.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

4 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Do you already have a 4770? It's not worth upgrading to any of them if you are just gaming? 

i will not be upgrading per say,but im just building a new pc and not using anything from the old build

thanks for all the info i think ive mad my mind up 

53 minutes ago, GETxHIPFIREDx said:

i will not be upgrading per say,but im just building a new pc and not using anything from the old build

What will you be using it for? If just gaming go for the 6700K. If you are doing stuff like video editing/rendering 3D, modeling/rendering or other stuff like that then go with the 6800K. The 6850K is not worth it unless you are running an insane amount of PCI devices.