DAC USB vs Optical

WereCat

Hi. I am considering to buy SMSL SD793ii DAC/amp for my HD650s.

I have considered many options like Schiit Magni2+Modi2, SMSL M6 and M3, Fiio E10k,...etc.

I decided for the SD793ii because it has many positive reviews and is cheap and apparently it can drive my HD650s well enough.

However it has no USB only coaxial and optical input. I know little about these things and my friend says that the optical will interfere somehow with my onboard DAC on my motherboard since I plan on connecting it there.

Isn't that wrong? I mean...the signal is digital right? So the onboard DAC will just sends the signal to the other DAC which process it..or something like that..?

Both are digital and will not be affected by your motherboard onboard audio.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

First up, DAC = Digital Analog Converter.

These days USB is preferred over Optical as you can get a higher bitrate and bitdepth. Please do not mention the timing problems both USB and Optical have.

Ultimately it's up to you whether you use USB or Optical as they both deliver enough (for lack of better term) quality for most audiophiles.

Go for which ever fits best with your setup.

-アパゾ

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Both are digital and will not be affected by your motherboard onboard audio.

8 minutes ago, APasz said:

First up, DAC = Digital Analog Converter.

These days USB is preferred over Optical as you can get a higher bitrate and bitdepth. Please do not mention the timing problems both USB and Optical have.

Ultimately it's up to you whether you use USB or Optical as they both deliver enough (for lack of better term) quality for most audiophiles.

Go for which ever fits best with your setup.

Thanks.