GTX 780 Ti price revealed (stock configuration)

LifesCompanion

Well this changed the game a bit.

Personally, if you're gaming on resolutions under 4k, then get a 780, but if you're gaming at 4k or close to it then the 290X would be your best bet(after market coolers come out of course).

Well, I think even if you are gaming at under 4k resolutions, you should still get a 290X.

Why?

Because in a year or 2, when you don't want to upgrade yet, because you spent $500+ on your GPU, you will still be able to get a 4K monitor when it's vastly cheaper than it is now (I hope), and be able to game on it at reasonable FPS. Maybe at Medium settings, but reasonable FPS.

4K is coming, and it is going to be affordable eventually (1-3 years), and I am betting that when it is, most people who bought a top tier GPU will not want to buy a new one.

At least I won't. Because I fully intend for my build to last me a decade. And if 32GB of DDR3 RAM at 1600MHz (with plenty of overclocking room), an i5 3570k, and Crossfired 290X's can't do that,... well that is stupid. lol

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well, I think even if you are gaming at under 4k resolutions, you should still get a 290X.

Why?

Because in a year or 2, when you don't want to upgrade yet, because you spent $500+ on your GPU, you will still be able to get a 4K monitor when it's vastly cheaper than it is now (I hope), and be able to game on it at reasonable FPS. Maybe at Medium settings, but reasonable FPS.

4K is coming, and it is going to be affordable eventually (1-3 years), and I am betting that when it is, most people who bought a top tier GPU will not want to buy a new one.

At least I won't. Because I fully intend for my build to last me a decade. And if 32GB of DDR3 RAM at 1600MHz (with plenty of overclocking room), an i5 3570k, and Crossfired 290X's can't do that,... well that is stupid. lol

Do you have any idea how fast hardware gets outdated? One decade ago we didn't even have dual core CPUs. There is nothing guaranteeing that 4K will be affordable in 1-3 years at all either. We have had 2560x1600 screens for several years but they still cost close to 1000 dollars. A single 290X will not be enough to play games at 4K in 2-3 years either. Hell it can't even play current games at 4K well.

Trust me, future proofing NEVER works (except for certain parts like PSUs, cases and fans), and in one decade your PC will be extremely slow. It would be like using a single core PC with <200MHZ RAM and ~512MB RAM today. That's probably how outdated your 3570K and 290X will be in 10 years if history is anything to go by.

Don't buy parts for "future proofing".

So... finally affordable (with quote marks) 780... Might be able to upgrade finally xDDD

Now why can;t they just lower prices on the titan

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Do you have any idea how fast hardware gets outdated? One decade ago we didn't even have dual core CPUs. There is nothing guaranteeing that 4K will be affordable in 1-3 years at all either. We have had 2560x1600 screens for several years but they still cost close to 1000 dollars. A single 290X will not be enough to play games at 4K in 2-3 years either. Hell it can't even play current games at 4K well.

Trust me, future proofing NEVER works (except for certain parts like PSUs, cases and fans), and in one decade your PC will be extremely slow. It would be like using a single core PC with <200MHZ RAM and ~512MB RAM today. That's probably how outdated your 3570K and 290X will be in 10 years if history is anything to go by.

Don't buy parts for "future proofing".

People like Seiki are making the prices on 4K monitors drop relatively quickly (as compared to other monitors like the 1600p ones you mention).

The 290X can push games at 4K at ultra settings (no AA) and get 30FPS on average. ... That is plenty acceptable considering it is ultra. Knock it down a graphical setting per year (1 year = high, 2 year = medium, 3 year = low) but even that's generous. 

There is a limit to Moore's law because it isn't actually a law. More like a general rule of thumb. People don't seem to understand that. The only way things like this get pushed further is if the content demands it. What demands 4K? Nothing. Can TV push 4K to mainstream? No, because bandwidth in the major locations where it will be pushed is not up to that, and is barely up to 1080p. What demands more than 8 cores on a CPU? Nothing. Even if you multi-thread games, how many CPUs can be utilized before adding more is just pointless? I don't know, but I'm guessing the magic number is between 4 and 10. 

If you want to see how the video side of gaming is going to inevitably go, look at the audio side. Eventually, there will be a point of diminishing returns. That point is retina displays, where your eye can't see the individual pixels (IIRC), and we are getting closer to that with 4K. The closer we get, the less important resolution increases will be. The same is true for video games in general. Uncanny valley and all that. 

I'm not saying "4K is all you'll ever need." or "a 290X is all you'll ever need", but I sincerely believe that, at this point, there is little headroom for video games in regards to both graphics, and potential CPU intensive things, aside from physics. Realistic physics will always be what pushes CPU's to the limit in the near future imo. 

My point in saying all this is thus: "Future-proofing is going to be more relevant the closer we get to the diminishing returns of the various factors regarding graphical quality and CPU intensive things a game can do. Such as increasing resolution, textures, polygons, and anything else like that. The only thing that will push CPUs is realistic physics (TressFX and PhysX) And I sincerely believe we are very very close to that point. Give it two-four generations."

People will disagree. That's fine. But AMD GPUs are better for multi-GPU setups in my eyes, and always will be so long as they keep the "minimum FPS" crown. Which even the 7970 GHz edition could rest from the Titan/780.* So I don't think an Nvidia GPU will take it back any time soon.

Calling it now.

* - Note: That link is to a graph from this page.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Keep in mind that stores will raise the prices from $499 since that's a MSRP and you'll have to factor in things like the ASUS, MSI, etc. premium that tends to be put on; I'd say something around $550 to $600 with aftermarket coolers but the current pricing of the 290X is bordering around $550 at MSRP so it's still a tough choice. If I were you, I'd wait till "official" bench marks of the 780 Ti are released so you can compare the 290X and the 780 Ti (which is what I plan doing as I plan on building a PC soon but am yet to decide the GPU)

EVGA's ACX was $10 more than MSRP of $650, and it was the top custom 780s. Only card that was outrageously priced was the lightning version from MSI

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

the 770 did not come down enough in price

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

My hope is that the memory system is better than the 780 with 4GB coming standard since gamers able to afford this using high res monitors/surround will probably be limited by the 3GB on the 780. Sure that would make Titan completely pointless in a gaming PC but I doubt nVidia cares much at this point.

I like how you can have SLI 780s for the price of one Titan now.

Seriously, why would anyone buy a Titan at this point? 

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

the 770 did not come down enough in price

Agreed, it should have been below $299.

The 780 Lightning seems like a great choice now, but I'd hold off until the 290 comes out and is benchmarked, that might be the best price:performance card, like how the 780 and Titan was.

People who need workstation capabilities.

I like how you can have SLI 780s for the price of one Titan now.

There are people who will always buys things simply for the WOW factor. 

The Titan is now pretty much a trophy to show off how much disposable income you have. 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

People who need workstation capabilities.

Then they could just get a 780Ti which beats the Titan in that respect as well. 

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2