Please let me know if im understanding this properly

Go to solution Solved by Bajantechnician,
8 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

as i said before i already know that they would help with video editing, what im wanting to know is would the slightly slower clock speeds make my gaming experience noticably worse?

youre making this too complicated. 6800k because your editing and gaming

6700k if youre just gaming ONLY(which youre not)  Only about 5 fps difference.

im not sure if i completely understand what this guy is saying:

just let me know if this is right or if its wrong, correct my thinking:

so he saying that because the i5 is the most youd need for gaming, going to the i7 is pointless, unless your going to be doing content creation. because i am going to be doing content creation, i would benifit from the 6700, but i therefore would benifit even more from the 6800. my question then, is he says that the 6800 is worse at gaming than the 6700, but is the 6800 still better than the i5? and so the worseness in gaming from the 6800 to the 6700 wouldnt be noticable at all, and the improvement in say video editing would be noticeable from the 6700 to the 6800? because i need to do both.

and also, im gussing that according tho these:

http://ark.intel.com/products/94189/Intel-Core-i7-6800K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/94188/Intel-Core-i7-6850K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

it would not be worth it for me to go from the 6800k to the 6850k because 28 pcie lanes is enough for me? or is there some other reason for the 6850k other than the 40 pcie lanes and ever so slightly higher clock speeds that i would barely notice and have it not worth how much higher the price is.

X99 chipset is way better so go with it. 6700 is better . ... runs a ton hotter though. for a like 4fps difference. so do 6800 as its much better.

1 minute ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

X99 chipset is way better so go with it. 6700 is better . ... runs a ton hotter though. for a like 4fps difference. so do 6800 as its much better.

which one is x99?

to reiterate just my main concern, i know that going from a 6700k to a 6800k would have a noticable increase in video editing performance, but would going from a 6700k to a 6800k provide a bad gaming experience, or would there be no difference in gaming since anything over i5 is overkill as far as gaming is concerned.

7 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

You're wrong. How does the i7 6700K run 'a ton hotter' than the more power hungry i7 6800K? It's the other way around.

If content creation/video editing is particularly intensive or something you'd do on a daily basis, the i7 6800K may be the better choice as it possesses more cores which tends to align well with multi-core tasks. If you're doing gaming with occasional editing, the i7 6700K would be enough... and it's a good bit cheaper.

BTW, that guy is wrong when he says that the i5 6600K is all you need for gaming. The benefits of the i7 6700K over the i5 6600K have been well documented.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

5 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

No its not. The 6700k actually runs cooler and overclocks better then the 6800k. Its a lot better for gaming. If he is just gaming all he needs is z170.

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

You're wrong. How does the i7 6700K run 'a ton hotter' than the more power hungry i7 6800K? It's the other way around.

If content creation/video editing is particularly intensive or something you'd do on a daily basis, the i7 6800K may be the better choice as it possesses more cores which tends to align well with multi-core tasks. If you're doing gaming with occasional editing, the i7 6700K would be enough... and it's a good bit cheaper.

BTW, that guy is wrong when he says that the i5 6600K is all you need for gaming. The benefits of the i7 6700K over the i5 6600K have been well documented.

interesting then on the i7 being better than the i5, im still a little new to this. i would be doing both gaming and high end video producing every day. i have a youtube channel so i need to render two 20minute videos a day, and still have time to record and edit and upload and such, and i also plan on making short films and albums all on this same computer.

3 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

interesting then on the i7 being better than the i5, im still a little new to this. i would be doing both gaming and high end video producing every day. i have a youtube channel so i need to render two 20minute videos a day, and still have time to record and edit and upload and such, and i also plan on making short films and albums all on this same computer.

Then the 2 extra cores will benefit you and you will use them for a good purpose. Get the 6800k if you feel that suits you better.

3 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

I guess if you're doing video editing on a daily basis, the extra cores of the i7 6800K may be indeed worth it. You seem to be most concerned about the gaming performance of the i7 6800K relative to the i7 6700K... the difference is marginal at best.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, EnemySp0tt3d said:

Then the 2 extra cores will benefit you and you will use them for a good purpose. Get the 6800k if you feel that suits you better.

as i said before i already know that they would help with video editing, what im wanting to know is would the slightly slower clock speeds make my gaming experience noticably worse?

Just now, EdgieHippie said:

It won't make it noticeably worse, no. 

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

I guess if you're doing video editing on a daily basis, the extra cores of the i7 6800K may be indeed worth it. You seem to be most concerned about the gaming performance of the i7 6800K relative to the i7 6700K... the difference is marginal at best.

so you dont think i would notice any drop is gaming performance despite the slower clock speed? and yes, that is my main concern because the 6700k is: 

Processor Base Frequency 4.00 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 4.20 GHz

and the 6800k is: 

Processor Base Frequency 3.40 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 3.60 GHz

The most you need is not the most everybody wants. You are OK with a Skylake i5 in 99% of games. Even games that put that i5 to 100% will result in close fps to the most powerful x99 chip out there. 

Read that again. Need and Want are two different things and none should be on top of the other. And remember that is "gaming only". Let alone streaming, recording, doing stuff in the background, etc. Everybody makes a unique use of their rig. For instance i love to play MMORPG, and i usually alt-tab for hours to watch anime, work, study, etc. And i don't like my pc to be slowed down by this, so an i5 won't cut it. (I had an i5, so yeah... 100% i5 is not fun ). Does it mean i need it? No. I could close the game. But i dont want to. Praise the i7 x99.

Don't get too dragged by the "need" argument. The whole history of computers wasn't about "need"(ing) shit. Let geeks be geeks... or someone actually needs 6GB of ram in their smartphone so they can switch apps one microsecond faster... b*tch please. :P

6700k does not run cooler frig mine max overclocked with liquid cooling would hit 90 and after upgrading to a 6850k with the same cooling and still macan't overclock I get max of 60c.... soldered ihs vs crappy thermal

For gaming: i5 6500 < i5 6600k < i7 6800k <i7 6700k 

for content creation i5 6500< i5 6600k < i7 6700k < i7 6800k 

I'd pick the i7 6700k 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

1 minute ago, faziten said:

The most you need is not the most everybody wants. You are OK with a Skylake i5 in 99% of games. Even games that put that i5 to 100% will result in close fps to the most powerful x99 chip out there. 

Read that again. Need and Want are two different things and none should be on top of the other. And remember that is "gaming only". Let alone streaming, recording, doing stuff in the background, etc. Everybody makes a unique use of their rig. For instance i love to play MMORPG, and i usually alt-tab for hours to watch anime, work, study, etc. And i don't like my pc to be slowed down by this, so an i5 won't cut it. (I had an i5, so yeah... 100% i5 is not fun ). Does it mean i need it? No. I could close the game. But i dont want to. Praise the i7 x99.

Don't get too dragged by the "need" argument. The whole history of computers wasn't about "need"(ing) shit. Let geeks be geeks... or someone actually needs 6GB of ram in their smartphone so they can switch apps one microsecond faster... b*tch please. :P

i understand what your saying, but i do need an i7 and the extra two cores in the 6800k would also be needed because i am going to be doing higher end video editing

1 minute ago, Megah3rtz said:

For gaming: i5 6500 < i5 6600k < i7 6800k <i7 6700k 

for content creation i5 6500< i5 6600k < i7 6700k < i7 6800k 

I'd pick the i7 6700k 

i normally would too, but the two extra cores in the 6800k would be greatly helpful with video editing

8 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

also, theres the matter that the 6700k is in the top range of the skylake architecture, and the 6800k is the bottom end of the broadwell e architecture. perhaps the new architecture will cancel out the slower clock speed and make the gaming experience no worse?

1 minute ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Get a dual socket board and 2 6950x chips. never a problem again. 

i wish i could afford that xD

1 minute ago, Bajantechnician said:

this is very helpful, i had no idea it was only a difference of 5 fps, in which case 6800k all day NP. the reason i had to ask on here is cause i couldnt find any benchmarking tests comparing these two cards specifically in games so i didnt know what kind of a difference it would be. if it would be only 5 fps, or more like 30fps

2 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Get a dual socket board and 2 6950x chips. never a problem again. 

no, youre not contributing ( very much) and making this guy more confused 

(although it is funny ) :)

A thumbs up for you