Please let me know if im understanding this properly

Go to solution Solved by Bajantechnician,
8 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

as i said before i already know that they would help with video editing, what im wanting to know is would the slightly slower clock speeds make my gaming experience noticably worse?

youre making this too complicated. 6800k because your editing and gaming

6700k if youre just gaming ONLY(which youre not)  Only about 5 fps difference.

2 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

also, just noticed your username, you wouldnt happen to be the bajancanadian youtuber are you? xD thatd be nuts

no lol. Havent played minecraft for the past 4 years ( h.s sophmore rn)

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

pc parts store, somewhat like frys electronics if you know what it is

o lol, im in a verry small town. im gonna try for some cyber monday deals cause nearest thing for me is a bestbuy like 45 minutes away in the next town over xD and they dont have anything much

will you be using gpu rendering as well as cpu? or cpu only

im planning on getting adobe premiere which does make use of nvidia cuda cores, unless if any of yall have any other editors to suggest

29 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

so you dont think i would notice any drop is gaming performance despite the slower clock speed? and yes, that is my main concern because the 6700k is: 

Processor Base Frequency 4.00 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 4.20 GHz

and the 6800k is: 

Processor Base Frequency 3.40 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 3.60 GHz

Clockspeeds aren't everything, there are other factors such as IPC that determine how fast your processor is. If you have sufficient cooling, you can give the i7 6800K a decent overclock.

28 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

6700k does not run cooler frig mine max overclocked with liquid cooling would hit 90 and after upgrading to a 6850k with the same cooling and still macan't overclock I get max of 60c.... soldered ihs vs crappy thermal

Personal anecdote... you may have gotten unlucky or you may have not applied the thermal paste or positioned the heatsink correctly.

The fact is that the i7 6800K remains the more power hungry chip and therefore runs hotter. Several benchmarks conclude this.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, EdgieHippie said:

im planning on getting adobe premiere which does make use of nvidia cuda cores, unless if any of yall have any other editors to suggest

thats a good software. because youre using cude, id suggest 2 980(ti) instead of one 1080. Ill check the price

1 minute ago, Bajantechnician said:

thats a good software. because youre using cude, id suggest 2 980(ti) instead of one 1080. Ill check the price

however, i plan on doing vr, and eventually getting a 4k or 1440p monitor, currently at 1080p

damn, good 980ti deals, $350 open box and lower

honestly, as of now i have no idea how vr would run on dual 980ti vs 1080, im gonna have to see if anyone else has run any tests

It all depends on your specific workload. I am going to be using a 6850K for solid-modeling, rendering, and dynamic flow simulations. The more cores you have, (usually) the faster you can render an image. For moderate video editing, a 4 core i7 is usually okay unless you are going to be working on some pretty extreme workloads. For example, for 3D design applications you would use more cores because programs such as Dassault Solidworks and Catia and Autodesk Inventor, Revit, and CAD are all optimized to more CPU and GPU cores to utilize parallel computation to speed up renders. For VRAM buffers and RAM usage, opening a 2 hour movie (~3-4.5 GB in HD) is nowhere near opening a *small* 8-12 GB (some go up to 2+ TB) drawing or model. This may not be the situation, but the point is to remember the scale of what you are working on and build around your maximum usage.

For CUDA applications, running graphics accelerators is the most efficient way to go, but is expensive.

3 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

however, i plan on doing vr, and eventually getting a 4k or 1440p monitor, currently at 1080p

$1900 https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fYDpm8

inclused monitor and OS. i checked 2 1070s vs 1 1080, and the price was a difference of the sli setup being only 4100 more, so I opted to the 1070 sli. To save $100, you can switch out the 2 1070s for a 1080

also side note, am i right in saying that going from a 6800k to a 6850k wouldnt be on any use for me since i dont need the extra pcie lanes? or would that be of benifit in some other way?

4 minutes ago, Qwweb said:

It all depends on your specific workload. I am going to be using a 6850K for solid-modeling, rendering, and dynamic flow simulations. The more cores you have, (usually) the faster you can render an image. For moderate video editing, a 4 core i7 is usually okay unless you are going to be working on some pretty extreme workloads. For example, for 3D design applications you would use more cores because programs such as Dassault Solidworks and Catia and Autodesk Inventor, Revit, and CAD are all optimized to more CPU and GPU cores to utilize parallel computation to speed up renders. For VRAM buffers and RAM usage, opening a 2 hour movie (~3-4.5 GB in HD) is nowhere near opening a *small* 8-12 GB (some go up to 2+ TB) drawing or model. This may not be the situation, but the point is to remember the scale of what you are working on and build around your maximum usage.

For CUDA applications, running graphics accelerators is the most efficient way to go, but is expensive.

How is your 6850k? Im planning on switching to it from a 5820k

1 minute ago, EdgieHippie said:

also side note, am i right in saying that going from a 6800k to a 6850k wouldnt be on any use for me since i dont need the extra pcie lanes? or would that be of benifit in some other way?

yeah, you wont need the pcie lanes. just run data storage like every other person and youll be fine ( unlike me, i run a m.2 slot lol) also, since nividia has maxed out cards at 2, you wont have a 3rd card to use up the lanes

3 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

$1900 https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fYDpm8

inclused monitor and OS. i checked 2 1070s vs 1 1080, and the price was a difference of the sli setup being only 4100 more, so I opted to the 1070 sli. To save $100, you can switch out the 2 1070s for a 1080

looking good, exept ive got a monitor, will be waiting untill later for a better one cause i cant afford a better one rn, also i saw some tests showing the 1070sli to be only slightly better than a 1080 single, so i figured a 1080 single would be totally sufficient for my use, but if i have to later i could sli 1080s when i can afford it, but i doubt id need it. or perhaps just upgrade to a titan x single, but again, i doubt that

4 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

yeah, you wont need the pcie lanes. just run data storage like every other person and youll be fine ( unlike me, i run a m.2 slot lol) also, since nividia has maxed out cards at 2, you wont have a 3rd card to use up the lanes

ive considered m.2 for just my os and softwares, but id probably go with a ssd instead. hows that working for you tho? was it worth it?

also, does anyone know where id find out how many core premiere pro can even use? idk where to find that, and have been unsuccessful so far in my search

1 minute ago, EdgieHippie said:

looking good, exept ive got a monitor, will be waiting untill later for a better one cause i cant afford a better one rn, also i saw some tests showing the 1070sli to be only slightly better than a 1080 single, so i figured a 1080 single would be totally sufficient for my use, but if i have to later i could sli 1080s when i can afford it, but i doubt id need it. or perhaps just upgrade to a titan x single, but again, i doubt that

slighly better in gaming yes, but not rendering. Basicllywaht im saying is that if you can afford it, go 2 1070s. youll never need to upgrade. else, get a 1080 now, and get another one later. howver, thats super overkill. and youll never need a titan. I had a titan z, cost $1500 retail. sold it. never needed, not used

ive considered m.2 for just my os and softwares, but id probably go with a ssd instead. hows that working for you tho? was it worth it?

worth it for looks? yes. price to performance? no performace? no. yes it is faster, but again, its like the 6700k and 6800k. its only this (number)% and thats not a very big difference to amount for its cost

How is your 6850k? Im planning on switching to it from a 5820k

Haven't gotten it personally yet. However, for the machine that I use it on it works great for 3D renders; I am an engineering student who does a lot of 3D design with cars which are a pain to render, so that is my personal reason for going big. I have also used a friend's 5820k rig and the differences are not too big, for what they do the processors are extremely close in performance. 

Benchmarks of the 5860k and 6800 show only a 5% difference with only a 12% difference from the 5860k to the 6850k

also, does anyone know where id find out how many core premiere pro can even use? idk where to find that, and have been unsuccessful so far in my search

It uses all, but once it is supplied with more than 6 cores(7+) it only uses 6 cores,

tl, dr: it will use all 6 cores of ur 6800k. 

and adobe premire can use assisted rendering (CUDA) link: http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/245817-49-enabling-assisted-rendering-adobe-premiere

so basicly, itll use the full potential of ur pc, and the 1070s wont be neede to be upgraded unless you start doing (literall) 3-4 hour movies in 4k with all the specialness (im assuming your rendering 1080p right now)

16 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

More pcie landed well benefit if you use pcie ssds or sli, but again it's kind of a diminished return. 

5 minutes ago, Juggern0ttt said:

More pcie landed well benefit if you use pcie ssds or sli, but again it's kind of a diminished return. 

i run pcie m.2.

not worth

15 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

quote from article one core count in premire:

When we upped the export resolution to 4K, we saw much better efficiency numbers. Not only was the initial efficiency higher (about 96.5% on average), Premiere Pro was also able to effectively use a much higher number of CPU cores. Where at 1080p anything more than six or maybe eight cores wouldn't be beneficial, in this case the initial multi core efficiency numbers lasted until around twelve cores. In other words, when exporting to 4K a ten core CPU should be great and in some instances a CPU (or multiple CPUs) with even more cores may give you a performance increase.
  Oh, and just noticed youre new :)

Welcome to the forum, and if you need help at all, dont be afraid to make a topic on it :)

quote from article one core count in premire:

When we upped the export resolution to 4K, we saw much better efficiency numbers. Not only was the initial efficiency higher (about 96.5% on average), Premiere Pro was also able to effectively use a much higher number of CPU cores. Where at 1080p anything more than six or maybe eight cores wouldn't be beneficial, in this case the initial multi core efficiency numbers lasted until around twelve cores. In other words, when exporting to 4K a ten core CPU should be great and in some instances a CPU (or multiple CPUs) with even more cores may give you a performance increase.
  Oh, and just noticed youre new :)

Welcome to the forum, and if you need help at all, dont be afraid to make a topic on it :)

awesome, i just found one saying something simalar, and thank you, these forums have been extremely helpful :)