Please let me know if im understanding this properly

Go to solution Solved by Bajantechnician,
8 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

as i said before i already know that they would help with video editing, what im wanting to know is would the slightly slower clock speeds make my gaming experience noticably worse?

youre making this too complicated. 6800k because your editing and gaming

6700k if youre just gaming ONLY(which youre not)  Only about 5 fps difference.

2 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

also, theres the matter that the 6700k is in the top range of the skylake architecture, and the 6800k is the bottom end of the broadwell e architecture. perhaps the new architecture with cancel out the slower clock speed and make the gaming experience no worse?

It doesnt work like that. recently new architecture on intels side only increases around 5% every generation.

2 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

no, youre not contributing ( very much) and making this guy more confused 

(although it is funny ) :)

A thumbs up for you

And you can't run two 6950Xs together...

i couldnt find any benchmarking tests comparing these two cards specifically in games

2 cpus you mean, gpu has nothing to do with this. have you got ur rig planned out yet? I can make u a part list if you give me a budget

1 minute ago, johnny5c said:

And you can't run two 6950Xs together...

was going to say that too, but then i posted the comment already lol. It cant parallel with other cpus, yeah

Just now, EdgieHippie said:

i understand what your saying, but i do need an i7 and the extra two cores in the 6800k would also be needed because i am going to be doing higher end video editing

Depends on your workflow. Even Linus messed this up. 

Look at your workflow. Many, many, many video editting software won't benefit. Aftereffects is the most prominent one which only benefits two threads. Hardware Canucks switched from x99 to z170 for this particular reason. Have you actually checked if your workflow benefits from the two extra cores? Don't pull a Linus assuming things xD 

As i said: You are better off being honest with yourself. Want an x99 rig? buy just that without crazy justifications.

What's next?: the extra bandwidth Quad-Channel DDR4 can provide?, the extra PCI lanes almost nobody use? The insane "futureproofing"? 

I went through all that too and realized i wanted an x99. End of the issue. 

Wait why can't you run 2 of them ? I mean u would need like win server to use both but still either way it's a cool idea

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

2 cpus you mean, gpu has nothing to do with this. have you got ur rig planned out yet? I can make u a part list if you give me a budget

sorry, yes i meant comparing the 2 cpus. i am planning my rig, i think im gonna go with a gtx 1080 instead of a 1070 cause i wanna get a vive, and will probably get a 1440p or 4k monitor eventually, and then im debating whether or not i would benifit from 32gb ram, or if 16 would be enough. the rest i have yet to figure out

Just now, faziten said:

Look at your workflow. Many, many, many video editting software won't benefit. Aftereffects is the most prominent one which only benefits two threads. Hardware Canucks switched from x99 to z170 for this particular reason. Have you actually checked if your workflow benefits from the two extra cores? Don't pull a Linus assuming things xD 

As i said: You are better off being honest with yourself. Want an x99 rig? buy just that without crazy justifications.

What's next?: the extra bandwidth Quad-Channel DDR4 can provide?, the extra PCI lanes almost nobody use? The insane "futureproofing"? 

Hes video editing.

Honestly though, no one needs ddr4. Not even needed to be introduced to private consumers, should of just leaft that with server hardware... but i digress :)

1 minute ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Wait why can't you run 2 of them ? I mean u would need like win server to use both but still either way it's a cool idea

No.

that cpusdont even support it. can u put two dogs into one? no

same wiith all i7 cpus. only xeon supports this feature

sorry, yes i meant comparing the 2 cpus. i am planning my rig, i think im gonna go with a gtx 1080 instead of a 1070 cause i wanna get a vive, and will probably get a 1440p or 4k monitor eventually, and then im debating whether or not i would benifit from 32gb ram, or if 16 would be enough. the rest i have yet to figure out

budget please. You honestly wount need 32 gb. one 20 min video a day wont use 32 gb

2 minutes ago, faziten said:

thats actually a great point. im gonna couble check if my software would make use of it. cant belive i didnt think of that before! also, whats wrong with the quad channel ram? i thought that was useful? then again like i said, ive only thought out my cpu and graphics card and havent looked into ram yet

1 minute ago, Bajantechnician said:

budget please. You honestly wount need 32 gb. one 20 min video a day wont use 32 gb

yes i know that lol but i will also be rendering full 2-3 hour movies, just not as often. id probably start with 16gb to keep costs down for now and then upgrade to 32 later if i need it

31 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

to reiterate just my main concern, i know that going from a 6700k to a 6800k would have a noticable increase in video editing performance, but would going from a 6700k to a 6800k provide a bad gaming experience, or would there be no difference in gaming since anything over i5 is overkill as far as gaming is concerned.

The difference in gaming would be negligible, you would gain more in editing than you would lose in fps. If you can afford the platform to 6800/x99

2 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

also budget, id like to keep it under 1000, but thatll probably not happen, reaistically, lower 1000-1500, but i could go up to about 2000 if absolutely nesseccary

3 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

X99 is lower temp chip with a better setup. no Brainer to me. 

but the exorbient prices. I have X99, so I would know lol

Just now, EdgieHippie said:

yes i know that lol but i will also be rendering full 2-3 hour movies, just not as often. id probably start with 16gb to keep costs down for now and then upgrade to 32 later if i need it

That is what I would to. stick to 8 gb sticks( so 2 at the begining, and move up to 4 if you need 32 gb)

1 minute ago, Juggern0ttt said:

The difference in gaming would be negligible, you would gain more in editing than you would lose in fps. If you can afford the platform to 6800/x99

yeah, maximum is 5 fps difference

1 minute ago, EdgieHippie said:

also budget, id like to keep it under 1000, but thatll probably not happen, reaistically, lower 1000-1500, but i could go up to about 2000 if absolutely nesseccary

give me a min or 2

1 minute ago, EdgieHippie said:

If you have a microcenter near you the difference would only be about 100$

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

yeah, maximum is 5 fps difference

give me a min or 2

also, just noticed your username, you wouldnt happen to be the bajancanadian youtuber are you? xD thatd be nuts

1 minute ago, Juggern0ttt said:

If you have a microcenter near you the difference would only be about 100$

a what?

2 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

I have a rampage 10 V. very expensive but frig it's a good chipset 

edition 10? its like 550 man, 1/2-1/3 of his budget lol