Please let me know if im understanding this properly

Go to solution Solved by Bajantechnician,
8 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

as i said before i already know that they would help with video editing, what im wanting to know is would the slightly slower clock speeds make my gaming experience noticably worse?

youre making this too complicated. 6800k because your editing and gaming

6700k if youre just gaming ONLY(which youre not)  Only about 5 fps difference.

PCIe lanes would be more important if you were running multiple cards in, say, a graphics rendering accelerator using a massive quadro as the compute card and several Geforce cards as the accelerators (massive amounts of CUDA cores)

1 minute ago, EdgieHippie said:

awesome, i just found one saying something simalar, and thank you, these forums have been extremely helpful :)

No prob :)

Welcome to the family.

since you have a monitor already, the price of the pcpartpicker link i made sould be down to $1600

1 minute ago, Qwweb said:

PCIe lanes would be more important if you were running multiple cards in, say, a graphics rendering accelerator using a massive quadro as the compute card and several Geforce cards as the accelerators (massive amounts of CUDA cores)

or running 3 390xs on one 5820 with a m.2 slot being used.

that maxes out the 24 lanes perfectly. nudge, nudge

3 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

awesome, i just found one saying something simalar, and thank you, these forums have been extremely helpful :)

link to other articl. 

moral of story, use premire 2015+ to use both gpus

1 minute ago, Bajantechnician said:

or running 3 390xs on one 5820 with a m.2 slot being used.

that maxes out the 24 lanes perfectly. nudge, nudge

im assuming 390xs is amd or radeon or something? im only familar with nvidia so far, tho i have nothing against amd

im assuming 390xs is amd or radeon or something? im only familar with nvidia so far, tho i have nothing against amd

lol so innocent *i am innocent, i come in peace. i have not been tainted by the colors of pcmr*

yes, AMD R9 390X. doesnt have cuda though. great at gaming. Cuda is proprietary nvidia

6 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

lol so innocent *i am innocent, i come in peace. i have not been tainted by the colors of pcmr*

yes, AMD R9 390X. doesnt have cuda though. great at gaming. Cuda is proprietary nvidia

whats pcmr? and yep, i knew that much about the cuda being nvidia only

whats pcmr? and yep, i knew that much about the cuda being nvidia only

pcmaster race.like hardcore pc gamers, the ones that always make memes bashing console gamers

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

pcmaster race.like hardcore pc gamers, the ones that always make memes bashing console gamers

lol mega derp on my part, ive been that my whole life, just never seen that acronym before xD

7 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

lol mega derp on my part, ive been that my whole life, just never seen that acronym before xD

anything else?

anything else?

i guess i could kinda sumarize my plan. this thread has been successful in helping me pick a cpu of an i7-6800k. im still looking into the SLI-GTX980ti vs SLI-GTX1070 vs single GTX1080, im currently deciding between air coolers and AIO liquid coolers. i think id get an air cooler, and then upgrade later to the AIO if i decide to begin overclocking later on to extend the life of the computer. i also will be getting only 16gb ram, and then going to 32 later if needed, but im still unsure of what kind, someone else earlier said something against ddr4quadchannel, and didnt specify what is bad about that. then as far as motherboards, im clueless xD but ill be using pcpartpicker so that hopefully will help. then ill get a single 500gb SSD and get TB HDD's later since ive got an external 4TBHDD ill look into DACs later and just use whatever on board audio comes with the motherboard.

21 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

i guess i could kinda sumarize my plan. this thread has been successful in helping me pick a cpu of an i7-6800k. im still looking into the SLI-GTX980ti vs SLI-GTX1070 vs single GTX1080, im currently deciding between air coolers and AIO liquid coolers. i think id get an air cooler, and then upgrade later to the AIO if i decide to begin overclocking later on to extend the life of the computer. i also will be getting only 16gb ram, and then going to 32 later if needed, but im still unsure of what kind, someone else earlier said something against ddr4quadchannel, and didnt specify what is bad about that. then as far as motherboards, im clueless xD but ill be using pcpartpicker so that hopefully will help. then ill get a single 500gb SSD and get TB HDD's later since ive got an external 4TBHDD ill look into DACs later and just use whatever on board audio comes with the motherboard.

lol. so, get 2 1070s if you have 2015+ premire.

get 2 sticks of 8. use as little slots as possible

motherboards honestly dont matter . just pick one that looks nice and has 8as many features as you need* (sound, pcie slots, ram supportage, io, whatever)

get wb blues in the future. I have 2 6tb wd blacks ( their top like enthusiast hdds) im trying to sell for $240-250(they retail 270)

but yeah

20 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

lol. so, get 2 1070s if you have 2015+ premire.

get 2 sticks of 8. use as little slots as possible

motherboards honestly dont matter . just pick one that looks nice and has 8as many features as you need* (sound, pcie slots, ram supportage, io, whatever)

get wb blues in the future. I have 2 6tb wd blacks ( their top like enthusiast hdds) im trying to sell for $240-250(they retail 270)

but yeah

may i inquire why your so adamant about 1070sli instead of a single 1080 and the posibility of my adding anouther 1080 later?

14 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

may i inquire why your so adamant about 1070sli instead of a single 1080 and the posibility of my adding anouther 1080 later?

yes, basicly, the workflow of what you have right now just wont use the full potential of 1080s.

yes, basicly, the workflow of what you have right now just wont use the full potential of 1080s.

how so?

it has many more cuda cores, and is just all around improved. i dont see any down sides besides the price

Just now, done12many2 said:

@EdgieHippie

Are you video editing already and if so, what is your current hardware setup?

yes i am. im using a i7-2630qm and a nvidia 540m. i was dumb in early highschool and got  a gaming laptop instead of a cheap laptop for school and a gaming desktop for the same price with twice the power. ill never make that mistake again. the only reason im considering upgrading is because my current computer is 5 years old, and overheats and crashes when editing. gaming and everything else runs fine tho, so im going to keep it for portability.

Just now, EdgieHippie said:

yes i am. im using a i7-2630qm and a nvidia 540m. i was dumb in early highschool and got  a gaming laptop instead of a cheap laptop for school and a gaming desktop for the same price with twice the power. ill never make that mistake again. the only reason im considering upgrading is because my current computer is 5 years old, and overheats and crashes when editing. gaming and everything else runs fine tho, so im going to keep it for portability.

How funny is that.  I'm currently typing this on an Alienware laptop with a 2760qm and a 560m SLI.   It was sitting on the shelf for a while and I decided to replace the thermal paste on the CPU and both GPUs.  World of difference bud.  Do so yourself until you can get your x99 rig built.

Anyways, the reason why I asked you for your current setup is to try to help you gauge the real life performance difference between your current setup and future x99 setup.  

If you have something you'd like to compare, let me know and I'll run it on my end.  

Jumping to x99 is beyond worth it if you really need it.  Even if you don't, it's still great.  A very small sacrifice in single-threaded performance for a large gain in multi-threaded performance in well optimized applications.  Hell, if properly overclocked, even the small sacrifice in single-threaded performance becomes almost a wash.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

How funny is that.  I'm currently typing this on an Alienware laptop with a 2760qm and a 560m SLI.   It was sitting on the shelf for a while and I decided to replace the thermal paste on the CPU and both GPUs.  World of difference bud.  Do so yourself until you can get your x99 rig built.

Anyways, the reason why I asked you for your current setup is to try to help you gauge the real life performance difference between your current setup and future x99 setup.  

If you have something you'd like to compare, let me know and I'll run it on my end.  

Jumping to x99 is beyond worth it if you really need it.  Even if you don't, it's still great.  A very small sacrifice in single-threaded performance for a large gain in multi-threaded performance in well optimized applications.  Hell, if properly overclocked, even the small sacrifice in single-threaded performance becomes almost a wash.

hahaha what are the odds xD mine is an XPS17L502X tho, not an alienware, that i had precustomed directly from dell. idk how but i became a prefered customer with them so i got 50% off making my current one worth it at the time. i was hoping to get all my parts for this new pc tomoro if i can find some good cyber monday deals. if i cant, idk what im gonna do xD ill definately try the new thermal paste idea tho! i never thought of that before.

not to mention i got $300 off for being a student and they had a promotion that everyone got a free xbox if you ordered a certain day. it was a great day when it all arived in the mail xD

edit: xbox 360 slim 4gb

hahaha what are the odds xD mine is an XPS17L502X tho, not an alienware, that i had precustomed directly from dell. idk how but i became a prefered customer with them so i got 50% off making my current one worth it at the time. i was hoping to get all my parts for this new pc tomoro if i can find some good cyber monday deals. if i cant, idk what im gonna do xD ill definately try the new thermal paste idea tho! i never thought of that before.

Yeah, swapping paste made this once horribly loud laptop a nice and quiet machine.  The stuff that was on there was dried out and completely worthless.  

I was constantly throttling and the fan speeds were out of control so I just stopped using it.  Now it's great and I've begun using it for side tasks.

10 minutes ago, EdgieHippie said:

hahaha what are the odds xD mine is an XPS17L502X tho, not an alienware, that i had precustomed directly from dell. 

512 Mb quadro  and 2-core i7 in my laptop... those framerates tho (or lack thereof) 

10 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

X99 chipset is way better so go with it. 6700 is better . ... runs a ton hotter though. for a like 4fps difference. so do 6800 as its much better.

Is it?

Well that highly depends on the use case scenario exaly.

The X99 platform is only better in terms of pci-e lanes directly available to the cpu and quad channel memory support.

However that has not really much to do with the chipset in particular.

Skylake Z170 chipset basicly is superiour, because it offers more pch pci-e lanes, and it uses a dmi 3.0 bus interface instead of that terrible old dmi2.0 bus interface on Haswell.

To aswer topic starters question:

It really depends on what your workload and main system ussage will be.

For example if gaming and browsing the interwebs is you main goal.

Then the Skylake platform obviously is the better choice, not only in terms of performance but also in terms of power effiecieny.

Now the debate i5-6600K vs i7-6700K, this part is also pretty easy to answer.

Because that is really depending on which graphics card you wanne go with.

And what your main games are you play and how you want to play them (which resolution).

If wanne go with a 1080p / 1440p with a midrange gpu like a RX480 or GTX1060.

Then an i5 is pretty much all you gonne need.

But if you want to have more Horse power, and you want a higherend gpu like a GTX1070 or GTX1080 or better.

Then the 6700K is what you should go with.

Now the question, what about X99 then?

Well X99 basicly is only really interesting if you are looking for an allround system for both content creation that would benefit from having more cores and higher memory bandwith etc, and gaming or for virtualization.

4 hours ago, Sintezza said:

Is it?

Well that highly depends on the use case scenario exaly.

The X99 platform is only better in terms of pci-e lanes directly available to the cpu and quad channel memory support.

However that has not really much to do with the chipset in particular.

Skylake Z170 chipset basicly is superiour, because it offers more pch pci-e lanes, and it uses a dmi 3.0 bus interface instead of that terrible old dmi2.0 bus interface on Haswell.

To aswer topic starters question:

It really depends on what your workload and main system ussage will be.

For example if gaming and browsing the interwebs is you main goal.

Then the Skylake platform obviously is the better choice, not only in terms of performance but also in terms of power effiecieny.

Now the debate i5-6600K vs i7-6700K, this part is also pretty easy to answer.

Because that is really depending on which graphics card you wanne go with.

And what your main games are you play and how you want to play them (which resolution).

If wanne go with a 1080p / 1440p with a midrange gpu like a RX480 or GTX1060.

Then an i5 is pretty much all you gonne need.

But if you want to have more Horse power, and you want a higherend gpu like a GTX1070 or GTX1080 or better.

Then the 6700K is what you should go with.

Now the question, what about X99 then?

Well X99 basicly is only really interesting if you are looking for an allround system for both content creation that would benefit from having more cores and higher memory bandwith etc, and gaming or for virtualization.

yep, and as ive said before, i would be doing alot of high end content creation. making movies and albums on this pc