Is AMD back?

Scitesh

Here is the link I am talking about

hothardware.com/news/amds-8-core-zen-sr7-offers-core-i7-5960x-performance-at-499

Also since the performance of 6900k is  more or less the same as 5960X

Should Intel be  worried  if price  actually $499  also how would it effect the consumer  side(I  mean 6700k/7700k)

Well seeing as intel's R&D is quite a few times higher than AMD's total income I highly doubt they are "back" though if they offer more cores at each level they will be competitive. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1. Tis just a rumor and isn't confirmed.

2. Retoast:

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

No.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Just now, vorticalbox said:

Well seeing as intel's R&D is quite a few times higher than AMD's total income I highly doubt they are "back" though if they offer more cores at each level they will be competitive. 

I  am more interested in$349 SR5 I  should upgrade from my 3770k

Also where the hell is Intel s R&D  budget going

Even if I am to upgrade to  another i7  it would not be until 8th gen(coffee  lake)

This has been discussed numbers of times... Until zen isn't release, they are not "back"

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

Profilepicture by Chibiterasu-chan

Just now, crosstiger said:

This has been discoursed numbers of times... Until zen isn't release, they are not "back"

Polaris got them a lot of money and market share

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

Polaris got them a lot of money and market share

True. But this is about CPU not GPU.

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

Profilepicture by Chibiterasu-chan

Imo never really gone although not really present in the enthusiast PC area. PS4 and XB1 run AMD hardware. They always had feasable GPUs.

5 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Intel has a lot more stuff to research though. The are active in areas where AMD isn't, therefore a direct R&D budget comparison is not constructive.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-kaby-lake-processors-prices-surface-in-webshops.html

I know another leak 

But  if  Intel prices its i7 7700k at$400+  then I  don't see any reason to go  with that option (assuming the first one is correct)

4 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

i don't actually think R&D is such a big deal as people put it .Sure , they have and spend way more money than AMD , but keep in mind intel has to develop and maintain manufacturing processes as well as fabs themselves ( this spending is relegated to globalfoundries on the amd side ). Plus , they have way more products than AMD . They have deep learning , AI , self driving cars , the xeon phi accelerators , embeded devices ,ULP devices and so much more , which AMD doesn't spend money on .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

15 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

i don't actually think R&D is such a big deal as people put it .Sure , they have and spend way more money than AMD , but keep in mind intel has to develop and maintain manufacturing processes as well as fabs themselves ( this spending is relegated to globalfoundries on the amd side ). Plus , they have way more products than AMD . They have deep learning , AI , self driving cars , the xeon phi accelerators , embeded devices ,ULP devices and so much more , which AMD doesn't spend money on .

Also As an engineering Student the best R&D actually happens when You have next to no budget 

I mean just look at the setup i have Put together(Ps: using Tv as a monitor Bcoz i blew all my budget On GPU )

58 minutes ago, Scitesh said:

I  am more interested in$349 SR5 I  should upgrade from my 3770k

Also where the hell is Intel s R&D  budget going

Even if I am to upgrade to  another i7  it would not be until 8th gen(coffee  lake)

I would assume a part of it goes to the below but other places would be their desktop lines, server lines and mobile. I am sure intel look at arm and really want a piece of that pie.

53 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

AMD also have their GPUs which they have to fight against Nvidia this means where Intel and Nvidia only have AMD to contend with AMD has both.

5 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

AMD also has their GPU's, for which they have to fight against Nvidia. This means that where Intel and Nvidia only have AMD to contend with, AMD has both.

This isn't a war, it's a market.

So basically that means AMD can completely crap out in one market and it won't kill the company.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

8 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

So basically that means AMD can completely crap out in one market and it won't kill the company.

It's still more market share to protect with less money than everyone else.

45 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

I would assume a part of it goes to the below but other places would be their desktop lines, server lines and mobile. I am sure intel look at arm and really want a piece of that pie.

AMD also have their GPUs which they have to fight against Nvidia this means where Intel and Nvidia only have AMD to contend with AMD has both.

intel does make gpu's technically ( they are actually #1 in market share ) and also has to contend with ARM in quite a few areas. . And nvidia technically designs cpu's ( denver ).

Plus , intel and nvidia both compete in the AI and deep learning market ( nvidia gpu vs intel xeon phi and the like ), and amd spends little money in that area.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

41 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

the thing is , in the case of AMD , which is already weakened by a lot of debt , it can . considering cpu architecture development takes years ( literally , 5-10 years last i checked ) , a company that is already financially unstable can be killed by a failed product if they have nothing competitive to offer. If AMD hadn't bought ATI a few years back , then bulldozer WOULD have killed them .

4 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

The thing is, in the case of AMD, which is already weakened by a lot of debt, it can. Considering CPU architecture development takes years (literally, 5-10 years last I checked), a company that is already financially unstable can be killed by a failed product if they have nothing competitive to offer. If AMD hadn't bought ATI a few years back, then bulldozer WOULD have killed them.

I didn't consider the investment R&D takes...

But I can't imagine them putting everything they have into one market, seems too risky for a business to do.

Concerning their acquisition of ATI, isn't that kind'a the point? Doesn't that mean their foot int he GPU market let them ride through a catastrophic failure in the CPU market?

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

I didn't consider the investment R&D takes...

But I can't imagine them putting everything they have into one market, seems too risky for a business to do.

Concerning their acquisition of ATI, isn't that kind'a the point? Doesn't that mean their foot int he GPU market let them ride through a catastrophic failure in the CPU market?

well CPU architectures usually cover multiple markets ( desktop , server , laptop, embedded etc , and those are big markets )

Also , they acquired ATI in 2006 , for project "fusion" ( basically APU ) . Bulldozer was in it's early years of development .

I don't think they bought ATI for the redundancy though . There are still huge drawbacks to splitting your company into multiple segments.