Black Friday Has Cometh

Go to solution Solved by acsemler,

I think I'm gonna get the Node 605. It's a little bit deeper than I wanted but it's close enough. I'm gonna mark this thread as solved now.

Black Friday is here! And it's time I get a new case...

For the longest time I've been using a Fractal Design Define Mini, and I love it. However, it is time to change. I am building a new desk and purchasing a 29" ultrawide monitor and now I need to slim down my computer. My goal is to have my computer sit on top of my desk horizontally with my monitor sitting on top of that. Something like this crude MS paint sketch I just made.

worst diagram ever.png

If it's not obvious to you, the desk is the brown box, the computer is the dark grey box and the monitor is the blue box (including the light grey box, that's the stand). Also this is absolutely not to scale.

So, I come to you all for help in finding a case because there's a few details that make the search a little bit difficult.

Requirements

1) $120 limit. Just went Christmas shopping for the family so I'm kinda broke

2) Needs to fit an ATX power supply, don't want to buy another when this one works

3) Needs to fit a microATX motherboard, again I don't want to buy another when this one works

Preferences

1) I really really would prefer if this thing looked nice and streamlined considering it's going to be in front of my face every day

2) No optical drive slot, don't need it and to me it hurts the streamlined concept

3) 4 usb ports, current case has 3 and I've made it work but more would be better

4) Shorter vertical height, I don't want this thing too tall, but it has to be tall enough to fit a 1080, specifically the Gigabyte G1 Gaming model

I was looking at the Antec VSK2000-U3 just to give you a rough visual representation. Picture courtesy of Newegg.

11-129-232-01.jpg

This is pretty close to what I want except for the optical drive.

11-129-232-05.jpg

This is the same case but looking at the back. I'm pretty sure that's not a standard ATX power supply mounting hole but I don't know for sure, don't have too much experience with power supply sizes. Again, picture courtesy of Newegg. I'd honestly probably just use this case but I was hoping to find something a little nicer. EDIT: Just checked the Q&A section on the Newegg product page for this case, it is not a standard ATX power supply size and it will not support a card as tall as a 1080 unfortunately, so I can't use this case.

I'm hoping more experienced people on here could point me in the right direction. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by acsemler
updated information

i doubt you will find anything in this "console" formfactor that will take an ATX PSU but good luck because there could be someting

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

25 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i doubt you will find anything in this "console" formfactor that will take an ATX PSU but good luck because there could be someting

I've been looking at HTPC cases for a little bit (completely forgot that was even a thing) and I'm getting closer. I really like Fractal Design's Node 605. Also interested in Silverstone's stuff.

I think I'm gonna get the Node 605. It's a little bit deeper than I wanted but it's close enough. I'm gonna mark this thread as solved now.