Audio technica ath-m50x for gaming?

Snowi_

Just thinking if the ath-m50x and a modmic would be a good comfortable for csgo and maybe streaming someday? 

i have the smaller brother m40x and i can say they sound awesome get it its worth the price  

you can't go wrong with those

your callouts are gonna be heard clearly.

and ya stream viewers wont spam "SOUND!" in the chats.

---UtterMayhem

Ask me About the Signature 

Spoiler

It's a new Comic Series my team and I are working on.

Here are Sneak Peaks of it: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qk86iyvbp2wce6/AABFjOL1Yp2bQG7xruxuVToTa?dl=0

They'd be great

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

They're OK for gaming, but just OK. There are better options in the same price range that offer better spatial awareness, but lack the M50's bass punch. One thing I will say is do not pay more than $140 for them. Once you go past that there are better options that beat the M50 in most catagories.

The M50s are a good option for an all rounder headphone if you need closed back. If you don't need closed back and the extra bass a much better option in the sames price range is the Sennheiser HD 558. The HE-350 is also a good option for $100 on massdrop.

I use the standard Audio Technica ATH-M50, they are straight up better than alot of gaming headset. Gaming headset focus on getting a tiny microphone with alot of functions (imo) And going from a headset like Siberia v2 and Siberia 200 I prefer the Audio Technica one, sound is better, clearer etc.

| Intel i5 4670k @ 4.3GHz | XFX RX 480 8 GB | Asus Z87i-Pro | 8.0 GB Kinston DDR3 | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD |

Thanks for the quick and helpfull replies everybody! :) i live in Finland btw so the M50x is like 140€ at its cheapest but black friday is tomorrow so i think ill pickup a pair of them and a modmic to to thx again :)

1 hour ago, Snowi_ said:

Thanks for the quick and helpfull replies everybody! :) i live in Finland btw so the M50x is like 140€ at its cheapest but black friday is tomorrow so i think ill pickup a pair of them and a modmic to to thx again :)

Comfort will be a possibly problem compared to some gaming headsets or other headphones out there.

I have exactly that setup and can confirm it's a great choice. Wish the modmic magnets were a bit stronger though.

It's okay for gaming, soundstage is not that good tho.

However if you want closed back have a look at: Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohms, they are superior than the M50X in any way.

They don't require an amp as nowadays mobos are good enough for it.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

• 3 years later...

ahh M50x vs gaming that's exactly what I'm looking for : )

so I had an M50x for about 7 years now mainly for gaming, and a bit of music.

(added a Modmic too about 2 years ago)

my issue is that since I removed my X-Fi soundcard due to a motherboard upgrade, I'm on onboard audio now.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-MORTAR-MAX

This is probably the chip itself o.0 Realtek® ALC892 Codec

aaaand I miss the bass.. and some detail, that I used to have. it's usable but not the same.

and the X-Fi card does not fit in now due to VGA clearance.

I was thinking about an external solution, maybe buying a DAC or something, but I know nothing about those...

what would you guys do to fix this ?

(example stuff I'm currently playing: mainly CoD MW, Warzone, Division 2, and can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077)

10 minutes ago, koko_1989 said:

ahh M50x vs gaming that's exactly what I'm looking for : )

so I had an M50x for about 7 years now mainly for gaming, and a bit of music.

(added a Modmic too about 2 years ago)

my issue is that since I removed my X-Fi soundcard due to a motherboard upgrade, I'm on onboard audio now.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-MORTAR-MAX

This is probably the chip itself o.0 Realtek® ALC892 Codec

aaaand I miss the bass.. and some detail, that I used to have. it's usable but not the same.

and the X-Fi card does not fit in now due to VGA clearance.

I was thinking about an external solution, maybe buying a DAC or something, but I know nothing about those...

what would you guys do to fix this ?

(example stuff I'm currently playing: mainly CoD MW, Warzone, Division 2, and can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077)

hey man I would make a new post as we generally dont encourage reviving old posts.  I have some Ideas though I can answer you on a new forum post though 

oh okay, I thought it would make sense to keep everything in 1 place for the same topic.

opening a new one then, thanks! : )