Cooler Master hyper 212 evo

KingSlayerx

Hello guys,

I have an i7 4790k OCed to 4.4ghz with 1.210v and a Cooler Master hyper 212 evo. I notice the cpu gets really hot even now that is winter and is really cold, the cpu still reaches 80ºc in stress tests. I have good air flow, clean of dust and thermal paste was changed recently (Thermal paste that came with the cooler). 

One day I opened my case while doing a stress test and I noticed the cooler doesnt heat up, I tried remounting it and stuff but it looks like it did nothing and its the same, I dont get it... it should heat up, the cooler has copper pipes that are directly on the cpu and they go till the top and they arent hot with a 70-80cº cooler running... I hate this cooler.

290_13_a7aed3358bcfe7ddf322e2344dc929fc_1444192430.jpg

Check that the fan is not being slow

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

3 minutes ago, PigWithAMustache said:

Check that the fan is not being slow

Nah man, I set it to 100% when it reaches 75ºc

The fan does a good job but the cooler(the heatsink) looks like isnt distributing the heat...

9 minutes ago, MasterJoaoPT said:

Nah man, I set it to 100% when it reaches 75ºc

The fan does a good job but the cooler(the heatsink) looks like isnt distributing the heat...

You have an overclocked I7 on a relatively small air cooler. Yes, it will be hot.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

The 212 isn't really an extreme overclocker (not trying to discredit it, it's an amazing cooler), I'd imagine a 4790K @ 4.4GHz could easily push it to 80C, which is totally safe by the way. What stress test are you using? Some are far harder on the CPU than everyday gaming.

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

Just now, Moress said:

You have an overclocked I7 on a relatively small air cooler. Yes, it will be hot.

Thats not the point, the point is that the cooler isnt doing his work. When I check my graphics card cooler its hot and the cpu cooler isnt.

3 minutes ago, Thorimus said:

The 212 isn't really an extreme overclocker (not trying to discredit it, it's an amazing cooler), I'd imagine a 4790K @ 4.4GHz could easily push it to 80C, which is totally safe by the way. What stress test are you using? Some are far harder on the CPU than everyday gaming.

Im using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (Memory Stress Test), I also get almost constant 70ºc in Rainbow Six.

5 minutes ago, MasterJoaoPT said:

When I check my graphics card cooler its hot and the cpu cooler isnt.

Your GPU temps have very little to do with CPU temps.

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

5 minutes ago, Thorimus said:

Your GPU temps have very little to do with CPU temps.

What ?

My GPU in gaming is at 65ºc and when I touch the cooler it burns my finger.

My CPU in gaming is at 70ºc and when i touch the cooler it feels cold.

1 minute ago, MasterJoaoPT said:

What ?

My GPU in gaming is at 65ºc and when I touch the cooler it feels hot.

My CPU in gaming is at 70ºc and when i touch the cooler it doesnt feel hot.

Um....

are you literally touching the heatsink while the PC is on?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Um....

are you literally touching the heatsink while the PC is on?

Um.. are you literally commenting off topic ?

3 minutes ago, MasterJoaoPT said:

What ?

My GPU in gaming is at 65ºc and when I touch the cooler it feels hot.

My CPU in gaming is at 70ºc and when i touch the cooler it doesnt feel hot.

Your CPU cooler has much more surface area and will dissipate heat more efficiently than you GPU cooler.  Just because it's not hot, doesn't mean that it's not doing it's job.  

The way your GPU cooler behaves has no correlation with how your CPU cooler behaves.

2 minutes ago, MasterJoaoPT said:

Um.. are you literally commenting off topic ?

What? I don't get it?

I was asking you if you were touching your heatsink when your PC was on, which you shouldn't do.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

What? I don't get it?

I was asking you if you were touching your heatsink when your PC was on, which you shouldn't do.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with touching a heatsink while the computer is on.

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Your CPU cooler has much more surface area and will dissipate heat more efficiently than you GPU cooler.  Just because it's not hot, doesn't mean that it's not doing it's job.  

The way your GPU cooler behaves has no correlation with how your CPU cooler behaves.

You are right, but the directly on cpu copper pipes should be hot anyways, if its cold the fan isnt blowing heat off, right ?

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with touching a heatsink while the computer is on.

Really??

What about static electricity and stuff?

Desktop:

Laptop:

7 minutes ago, MasterJoaoPT said:

What ?

My GPU in gaming is at 65ºc and when I touch the cooler it burns my finger.

My CPU in gaming is at 70ºc and when i touch the cooler it feels cold.

That temperature is the temperature of the actual GPU/CPU, not the temperature of the heatsinks. 

Really??

What about static electricity and stuff?

The metal heatsink is not connected by anything conductive to any circuitry in your PC.

2 minutes ago, MasterJoaoPT said:

You are right, but the directly on cpu copper pipes should be hot anyways, if its cold the fan is blowing cold off, right ?

If the aluminum fins attached to those heatpipes are efficiently dissipating heat, I'd seriously doubt that you'd notice them getting hot at all.

A good example of one thing having nothing to do with another are the radiators in my water loop.  Collectively, they remove a great deal of heat from my CPU and GPU, but I can touch any of the radiators during full CPU and GPU load and they'll never be much warmer than room temperature.  My water temps never get higher than 3c above ambient so that would be why.  There's just so much surface area, that no one spot ever gets a chance to really heat up.

22 minutes ago, MasterJoaoPT said:

Thats not the point, the point is that the cooler isnt doing his work. When I check my graphics card cooler its hot and the cpu cooler isnt.

The point is that the Hyper 212 evo isn't meant to cool an overclocked I7. If you want that either pick up an NH-D15 or large heatsink like it, or go for a 240mm+ AIO cooler.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

15 minutes ago, Moress said:

The point is that the Hyper 212 evo isn't meant to cool an overclocked I7. If you want that either pick up an NH-D15 or large heatsink like it, or go for a 240mm+ AIO cooler.

If it wasent meant to cool an i7 the cooler would be overheated ... like a stock cooler, but its cold af.

I heard that this cpu was being delidded alot, probably its the problem here ? Im telling ya its really wierd a heatsink be this cold, it could also be the thermal paste I heard the stock one is bad.

8 hours ago, MasterJoaoPT said:

I heard that this cpu was being delidded alot, probably its the problem here ? Im telling ya its really wierd a heatsink be this cold, it could also be the thermal paste I heard the stock one is bad.

Go ahead. When you turn that 300 dollar cpu into a paper weight dont come crying here. Everyone has told you that this is completely normal yet you argue and insist its not.

the heatpipes wont come close to the temp of the cpu. its thermodynamics. the total heat of the cpu gets distributed over the entire surface of the heatpipes which is obviously much bigger than the cpu's surface. the transferred heat is then dissipated from the fan blowing cooler air through the pipes and blah blah blah. the point of the heat pipes is to move the heat as evenly and quickly away as possible and spread it evenly throughout the entire tower. if it was getting hot, it isn't doing its job.

the tl'dr is that no duh it's not getting hot. cpu=small         heatpipes=big         heat=dissipated     thermodynamics; it's the law

10 hours ago, MasterJoaoPT said:

The first gen haswells had this problem. I believe it should be less of an issue for the 4790, but I don't know by how much. Delidding is a thing, though, so whatever floats your boat. 

The second part is wrong, as many have already explained to you. But if a hot heatsink is what you want, try switching its fans off, or unplugging then from the motherboard altogether. Just bear in mind the risk it implies.