Is the 'tempered glass' trend going to be short lived or the new standard

gonvres

I'm noticing a lot of tempered glass at the moment, its 2016s big 'design' thing. Corsair's recently released cases have tempered glass side, front and top panels. Which is crazy.

While they do look like of cool, they are horrendously impractical with tempered glass on every side of the case. Do you think this will be the new 'norm' like windowed cases quickly became? Or will it quickly fizzle out due to cost/impracticality? 

New standard, acrylic side panels scratch very easily and don't look anyway near as nice. Though with that said, acrylic won't disappear, you will probably just see it on lower end cases.

I don't understand the use of glass in cases - they're impractical and quite heavy

scratch resistant polycarbonate exists, so you you want a cheap plastic side panel window it can be done

It will last until the amount of RMAs on broken glass side panels makes it unfeasible for companies to continue selling them, at least at the rates we see now. Also, while it looks amazing, not all consumers want tempered glass, either for weight, cost, or shipping concerns. (Although with the InWin 303, cost concerns kinda vanished.)

Current build: Konata-ROG

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-4790K, 4.4GHz @ 1.2V | Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VI Impact | Cooler: H80i GT with 2x Silverstone Air Penetrator 120mm | Case: Cooler Master Elite 130| SSD: AData SP550 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 750GB 2.5; WD Blue SSHD 1TB 2.5; WD Red 1TB 3.5 | RAM: Mushkin Redline 2x8GB DDR3-1866 | VGA: Sapphire Dual-X R9 280X | PSU: Silverstone SX600-L

Current build: Konata-HTPC

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-6100 (currently at stock) | Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 | Cooler: Silverstone AR-06 | Case: Silverstone GD10 | SSD: AData SX900 256GB | RAM: ADATA XPG 2X4GB DDR3-1600, Kingston HyperX 2-4GB DDR3-1600 | VGA: MSI HD7950 Twin Frozr III | LG Blu-Ray PSU: XFX TS 750W

yep if people keep buying them. I think m-ITX will be more popular with increasing use of m2 & PCIe and less 5.25", 3.5", and 2.5". For those m-ITX people they might not like the heaviness of glass.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

41 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

New standard, acrylic side panels scratch very easily and don't look anyway near as nice. Though with that said, acrylic won't disappear, you will probably just see it on lower end cases.

The problem isn't the glass. Its how they're attached often by small tabs meaning you can't pick the computer up by the panel. That sounds highly impractical.

I think it will be a new standart.

I don't mind having big window made of glass, but I don't understand all-clear cases. I don't really want to expose right(left) panel with all cables and everything. It should be big window to expose all the neat hardware and that's it.