Hard Drive Error!

Go to solution Solved by LarrytheGreat,

OK everyone I have finally figured out the solution to my problem!

Please direct other people with similar issues to this post because it is a pain in the a*** to figure out

. [DISCLAIMER- This was my experience on solving the issue. I am not sure if these procedures will resolve the problem for everyone trying to install a Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD on a G752 VT. Upgrading the BIOS and switching settings within the BIOS are done at the users own risk. I am not responsible for user error.]

Procedures on how I got my Samsung 950 pro 256GB M.2 SSD

1. After buying the G752 laptop update the BIOS using the software on the laptop. At the time of this video the Bios for the G752 VT laptop is 216 (this is based on the Asus driver support web page)

2. After the BIOS has been updated boot into the BIOS. You have to switch the hard drive setting from RAID mode to AHCI mode.

3. After switching the hard drive setting in the BIOS to AHCI. The USB containing the windows 10 OS should recognize your Samsung 950 X-GB M.2 SSD. From there everyone should know the procedure of installing an OS

4. Enjoy the stupid fast speed of of the new M.2SSD

Laptop: Asus G752 VT laptop

Bios: Latest Version. 216

Operating system: Windows 10 regular edition 64Bit

Story:

I have recently purchased an Asus G752 from a retail store. I purchased a Samsung 950 256GB to upgrade the stock M.2 memory on the laptop.

Problem

After switching out the factory M.2 SSD  with the Samsung SSD. Windows 10 can not detect the Samsung M.2 hard drive from my 1TB HDD (I wanted to clone over my operating system. Please do not ask why my OS is on my HDD). I have looked for the M.2 using the command print (admin), disk management, and device manager and the Samsung M.2 cannot be found. 

Weird Part:

I know the Samsung M.2 is not a lemon because when I enter the G752 VT bios I can see the M.2 SSD from the Intel Raid Storage manager. 

The M.2 is likely SATA only and may require a BIOS update to work, if at all.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try booting it into linux and see if that can see it.

Also is the nvme drive loaded.

It might be a sata only m.2

Kk, try booting into Linus tomorrow. 

There is no NVMe driver installed. Where would I find it? 

What do you mean by sat m.2? If you go on YouTube there are others who have installed this same m.2 in their laptops. 

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

The M.2 is likely SATA only and may require a BIOS update to work, if at all.

What do mean by Sata? 

The bios I listed is the current one from the Asus website. 

1 minute ago, LarrytheGreat said:

What do mean by Sata? 

The bios I listed is the current one from the Asus website. 

M.2 comes in SATA and NVMe standards. You need to head over to Samsung's website to grab the 950 PRO drivers to see if it helps.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, LarrytheGreat said:

Kk, try booting into Linus tomorrow. 

There is no NVMe driver installed. Where would I find it? 

What do you mean by sat m.2? If you go on YouTube there are others who have installed this same m.2 in their laptops. 

you probably need a nvme driver, thats why i say try linux, as if it sees it, its a software problem, if it doesn't, its a hardware problem.

I had to install the NVME storage controller to get mine to work on my desktop (ASUS Rampage V Extreme X99) after getting windows to install to it . That in itself was a ball ache in itself as like you it would show up but the windows installer would not see it. Try bios settings first.

Family is Everything ....But a fast pc with an SSD is NIce

I've worked on a G752 with the exact same problem when the where first released. They did something weird with the SATA controller and it was set to RAID0 over AHCI or UEFI or something this was back in late jan. Anyway I'm sure they released a bios update that ended up fixing it up.

https://www.asus.com/au/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G752VT/HelpDesk_Download/

5 minutes ago, Tux said:

I've worked on a G752 with the exact same problem when the where first released. They did something weird with the SATA controller and it was set to RAID0 over AHCI or UEFI or something this was back in late jan. Anyway I'm sure they released a bios update that ended up fixing it up.

https://www.asus.com/au/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G752VT/HelpDesk_Download/

Have you actually solved an issue like this one before? Because I have installed the latest bios 216? And it is not working, but I'm going to try and boot into Linux to see if that works. 

8 minutes ago, Bluetac said:

I had to install the NVME storage controller to get mine to work on my desktop (ASUS Rampage V Extreme X99) after getting windows to install to it . That in itself was a ball ache in itself as like you it would show up but the windows installer would not see it. Try bios settings first.

Where did you find the NVME storage controller driver? I found an 950 driver but the system needs to detect the M.2 SSD for it too work? 

6 minutes ago, LarrytheGreat said:

Have you actually solved an issue like this one before? Because I have installed the latest bios 216? And it is not working, but I'm going to try and boot into Linux to see if that works. 

Yeah ended up tracking down a early release beta bios over on the ROG forums. Let me do a bit of google fo and see if i can track it down.

also check that PCIEX8 and M.2 Configuration are set to M.2 and not Auto

5 minutes ago, Tux said:

Yeah ended up tracking down a early release beta bios over on the ROG forums. Let me do a bit of google fo and see if i can track it down.

also check that PCIEX8 and M.2 Configuration are set to M.2 and not Auto

Thanks! I just used the bios flash utility that came with the laptop. 

Sorry that hat opens up a new line of questioning. How do I check that setting? I could not find it. I only discovered the m.2ssd by accident in the raid controller section. 

OK everyone I have finally figured out the solution to my problem!

Please direct other people with similar issues to this post because it is a pain in the a*** to figure out

. [DISCLAIMER- This was my experience on solving the issue. I am not sure if these procedures will resolve the problem for everyone trying to install a Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD on a G752 VT. Upgrading the BIOS and switching settings within the BIOS are done at the users own risk. I am not responsible for user error.]

Procedures on how I got my Samsung 950 pro 256GB M.2 SSD

1. After buying the G752 laptop update the BIOS using the software on the laptop. At the time of this video the Bios for the G752 VT laptop is 216 (this is based on the Asus driver support web page)

2. After the BIOS has been updated boot into the BIOS. You have to switch the hard drive setting from RAID mode to AHCI mode.

3. After switching the hard drive setting in the BIOS to AHCI. The USB containing the windows 10 OS should recognize your Samsung 950 X-GB M.2 SSD. From there everyone should know the procedure of installing an OS

4. Enjoy the stupid fast speed of of the new M.2SSD

7 hours ago, LarrytheGreat said:

why was the laptop in RAID mode to begin with?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

why was the laptop in RAID mode to begin with?

No idea. It was set up like that when I first checked the bios. Navigating the g752 BIOS is pain in the a******* , and I am kind of amazed I found the answer just by guessing settings to change.

20 hours ago, Law_Rence said:

Would you trust a refurbished Samsung 950?

No, when it comes to refurbished HDD or SSD I always buy new. I inherited 2 four year old raptor HDD last year from a good friend and they broke 2 months later with my school work on them. Personally I do not like playing the roulette of life span of an refurbished  HDD or SSD; you never know when they are going to break down or if the warranty transfers between owners, and most importantly you do not know how well the previous owner cared for the HDD or SSD in their system.

I do understand about buying PC parts on a budget. Being a broke college student means the struggle is real when it comes to nice things especially PC parts, but if you are going to buy a refurbished M.2 make sure it comes from a reputable vendor and check their warranty info.

Tanget

I think you should buy the 950 pro new. The benefits of having an RMA and knowing that you are the first owner outweighs the cons. In my experience having delayed gratification is totally better than immediate gratification.   

4 minutes ago, LarrytheGreat said:

No, when it comes to refurbished HDD or SSD I always buy new. I inherited 2 four year old raptor HDD last year from a good friend and they broke 2 months later with my school work on them. Personally I do not like playing the roulette of life span of an refurbished  HDD or SSD; you never know when they are going to break down or if the warranty transfers between owners, and most importantly you do not know how well the previous owner cared for the HDD or SSD in their system.

I do understand about buying PC parts on a budget. Being a broke college student means the struggle is real when it comes to nice things especially PC parts, but if you are going to buy a refurbished M.2 make sure it comes from a reputable vendor and check their warranty info.

Tanget

I think you should buy the 950 pro new. The benefits of having an RMA and knowing that you are the first owner outweighs the cons. In my experience having delayed gratification is totally better than immediate gratification.   

Thanks