LAN Parties!

Chazz

Not sure, if this is the right section but :P

Have you guys ever been to a LAN party with your friends before and if so, what did you do and how many nights for? What did you have for food and drink, did you go out, what games did you play?

In September my friends and I all went to one persons house and had a LAN party. One of my techy friends built a server where we could all put music into one playlist and it would play through our headsets, he also set up a TS server for us all. For food we all chipped in £20 each and also bought our own so we had unlimited food and drink. We did it for a good 3 nights and it was just awesome. We stayed in for it all and we played games like GTAV, COD 4, 7 days to die etc

We recorded most of the LAN Party, and we put all the best bits into one video, the first half of it is just us playing games, the rest is really funny clips of us just messing about and showing you what we got up to at our LAN party.
If you've ever been to a LAN party comment below with how it all went.
If you're thinking about having one then tell us what you're thinking of doing in it!

Here's the video

iv been to the LAN my highschool hosts twice and thats for 3 days, its great, about 50-100 people playing loads of games. someone usiually brings there Xbox and we rip at it in Guitar Hero lol(only acceptable way to use a console lol) but mainly its just me and my palls in a corner somewhere shouting at eachother about the game we are playing lol. i usiually just go to the local supermarket and pick up stacks of cookies and soda and live off that for the 3 days :P other then that its just at one of my friends places or at my place and we set up somewhere and play games for 24h and then go home lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I organise large scale (200+ participants) Lan Parties here in Denmark. It's been a while, since I've done something small scale.

Time would be 3-4 days, depending on which event is hosted and when it is.

Food would be the in-event shop there is available.

Games would, for me, be primarily based around WoW, OverWatch and then just a mix-match of the 400+ steam games I currently have.

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

iv been to the LAN my highschool hosts twice and thats for 3 days, its great, about 50-100 people playing loads of games. someone usiually brings there Xbox and we rip at it in Guitar Hero lol(only acceptable way to use a console lol) but mainly its just me and my palls in a corner somewhere shouting at eachother about the game we are playing lol. i usiually just go to the local supermarket and pick up stacks of cookies and soda and live off that for the 3 days :P other then that its just at one of my friends places or at my place and we set up somewhere and play games for 24h and then go home lol

Your school sounds awesome... Sounds like a lot of fun!

1 minute ago, D-Pad said:

I organise large scale (200+ participants) Lan Parties here in Denmark. It's been a while, since I've done something small scale.

Time would be 3-4 days, depending on which event is hosted and when it is.

Food would be the in-event shop there is available.

Games would, for me, be primarily based around WoW, OverWatch and then just a mix-match of the 400+ steam games I currently have.

That's so cool! So where do you host these events then do you rent somewhere for a week?

I go to LAN Syndicate every year.

F***ing amazing

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

The only thing I went to that is close to a LAN party is taking a couple consoles and games to a friend's house and playing some different systems and games with some people.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Chazz said:

Your school sounds awesome... Sounds like a lot of fun!

That's so cool! So where do you host these events then do you rent somewhere for a week?

Well it varies depending on which event it is. The primary event I host is 200 participants on a public school. We are lucky to get the location, power and network free of charge through the state, because of the laws on voluntary organisation work!

The other events are mainly rented areas. Anything from a gym hall to a 5000+ participant trade fair center.

So you guys seem to go to large scale LAN's then, is there any of you that do small private LAN's? Like 4-8 people?

Best LAN party I've ever been to was playing Warcraft 2 and C&C at my friend's dad's office.  Those were the days!

LAN parties are less fun when you are in your 30s and have a bunch of kids running around.  I'm teaching them young though, and soon I'll have my own squad of PC Master Race gamers at my command!

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

1 minute ago, CostcoSamples said:

Best LAN party I've ever been to was playing Warcraft 2 and C&C at my friend's dad's office.  Those were the days!

LAN parties are less fun when you are in your 30s and have a bunch of kids running around.  I'm teaching them young though, and soon I'll have my own squad of PC Master Race gamers at my command!

Aha nice! I'm in my late teens right now, and my friends are in there early 20's, so no kids running around to annoy us at the moment :P 

We do small private lans, but they are more like 20 people.

We normally do them on a brithday of my friends, or the weekend after that. It is a fixed date since i started highscool (now 9 years ago, god i get old) , and we have been doing it every year.

We play CSS, Warcraft, Flatout, Blur, Halflife, Day of Defeat, Hidden, COD 1 & 2, Sauerbraten and a few other games that run on every crap computer you can get. It is always a lot of fun, and you get together with people you only see once a year

I've only been at Assembly. I've been there 7 times, once with only laptop. Plus once at Winter edition with only laptop. Oh, and usually I'm just by myself. Don't have really any friends in area who are into such stuff. But I've met my team mates there. Plus some friends from Uni.

Nights: Always Thu-Sun. I usually aim to being in there at 4pm-6pm. It takes about hour to setup. Then I leave 11am on Sunday.

Food/drink: Energy drinks, water mainly, snacks, fast food on site or near pizza place. Some sandwiches for breakfast.

Games: Depends, but mostly SP/MP I would normally play.

At Assembly I mainly hangout in IRC, watch all the action going on, demoscene competitions, pro tournaments, wander around sponsor area etc. Sitting on their chairs for longer periods is too much for my spine.

I miss times when it was held at Hartwall Arena hockey rink. That place was awesome. Really small for the crowd, but awesome.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/21/2016 at 10:31 PM, iTzPrime said:

We do small private lans, but they are more like 20 people.

We normally do them on a brithday of my friends, or the weekend after that. It is a fixed date since i started highscool (now 9 years ago, god i get old) , and we have been doing it every year.

We play CSS, Warcraft, Flatout, Blur, Halflife, Day of Defeat, Hidden, COD 1 & 2, Sauerbraten and a few other games that run on every crap computer you can get. It is always a lot of fun, and you get together with people you only see once a year

That sounds quite interesting. 20 is a lot of people for a private LAN, where would you host? If it's at a friends house it must take up almost every room.

On 11/22/2016 at 0:27 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

I've only been at Assembly. I've been there 7 times, once with only laptop. Plus once at Winter edition with only laptop. Oh, and usually I'm just by myself. Don't have really any friends in area who are into such stuff. But I've met my team mates there. Plus some friends from Uni.

Nights: Always Thu-Sun. I usually aim to being in there at 4pm-6pm. It takes about hour to setup. Then I leave 11am on Sunday.

Food/drink: Energy drinks, water mainly, snacks, fast food on site or near pizza place. Some sandwiches for breakfast.

Games: Depends, but mostly SP/MP I would normally play.

At Assembly I mainly hangout in IRC, watch all the action going on, demoscene competitions, pro tournaments, wander around sponsor area etc. Sitting on their chairs for longer periods is too much for my spine.

I miss times when it was held at Hartwall Arena hockey rink. That place was awesome. Really small for the crowd, but awesome.

So if you go by yourself, do you end up finding new gaming friends and people to talk to or do you just sneak into people's LAN games? :P

4 minutes ago, Chazz said:

So if you go by yourself, do you end up finding new gaming friends and people to talk to or do you just sneak into people's LAN games? :P

Usually I have some casual chat with people sitting next to me. Plus there's ton of stuff going on in IRC during whole event. With occasional extempore meetups. There aren't much LAN games going on. I've attended to few when they were more common around 2008-2012.

Assembly is largest LAN party in Finland with 3k seats and over 5k attendees. It lost much of its charm when it moved to bigger space in Helsinki Conference Center. This is what you get just before main event:

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

46 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Usually I have some casual chat with people sitting next to me. Plus there's ton of stuff going on in IRC during whole event. With occasional extempore meetups. There aren't much LAN games going on. I've attended to few when they were more common around 2008-2012.

Assembly is largest LAN party in Finland with 3k seats and over 5k attendees. It lost much of its charm when it moved to bigger space in Helsinki Conference Center. This is what you get just before main event:

Mate, that is awesome. I think I'd prefer our little private LAN that we have going on as that's non stop laughing and we make as much noise as we want. But I wouldn't mind trying out one of them!

1 hour ago, Chazz said:

That sounds quite interesting. 20 is a lot of people for a private LAN, where would you host? If it's at a friends house it must take up almost every room.

In Austria pretty much everyone has a really big house when they live in the countryside, and his family is decently wealthy, so we all fit in the living room (the food is in the kitchen obv).

Just now, iTzPrime said:

In Austria pretty much everyone has a really big house when they live in the countryside, and his family is decently wealthy, so we all fit in the living room (the food is in the kitchen obv).

Wow sounds awesome!