Laptop for work and gaming.

Wizard

You should..  

6 members have voted

1. 1. You should..

• Wait
    • Buy "x" option (detailed in comments).

Hi LTT Forum!, I am looking for some advice on a laptop pucharse.

First of all, what am I going to be doing with the laptop?:

1) It will be my work companion, I am usually travelling between 2 cities and can't carry my desktop around.
What can of work should it be capable of doing?.
Should be able to run smoothly: AutoCAD Civil 3D, Autodesk Revit Structures, ETABS, Staad Pro, Microsoft Excel, 3Ds MAX, and some light video editing programs.
Should be able to spend some hours rendering projects at 90-100% CPU usage within thermal limits (not throttling under the load of this programs).
Should last at least 4 years without problem.

2) I am going to game on it when I don't have my desktop around, I am happy with it running:
Crysis 3 High Settings, 1080p, 60 fps.
Witcher 3 High Settings, 1080p, 60 fps.
Ashes of the singularity, 1080p, 60 fps.
And some other low demaning titles such as Wow, Lol, CS;GO, Overwatch, etc..

My main issue: I am from Argentina, I will be pucharsing the laptop on the US, so I would like to be able to have the warranty in my country. List of brands I know they support the warranty here are:
Dell (Alienware), Lenovo, Asus, Gigabyte (Aorus), MSI, EVGA, Acer, Apple, Razer, HP, Microsoft, Samsung, Toshiba, Sony, LG, etc... However, I couldn't find a Clevo Reseller here :( (Sad because I would have bought the P650RS if that was the case).
When I pucharse the laptop it needs to have a "global warranty", not limited to the US.
In my country is REALLY rare that they replace your laptop, they take it, "fix" it, and send it back, so... I would really take in to account the quality control and overall issues of the laptop.

Size and Weight:
I can carry around up to 10 pounds (between 4 and 5 Kg) without problem. However, I would like the laptop to not be higher than 3-4cm, because I have to carry some notebooks and other things in my bag at the same time.
I would prefer it to be smaller than 17", with 15" being my preferred option, but I can do with a 17" if it hits all my requirements.

Specs:
CPU: At least 6820HQ, or better, all the software I will be using it's pretty CPU demanding.
RAM: 32 Gb pref. ; Can deal with 16 Gb and upgrading to 32 later.
SSD: A fast nvme 500 gb.
GPU: The best I can get within my budget. I will do fine with a 1050ti performance level on my laptop, but it will be nicer to have something like a 1070 for future games!
Screen: I need it to have a nice contrast ratio and good color accuracy. The nicer the screen, the better because I will be working my projects on it. Also, low or non-existant backlight bleed.
Battery life: I am happy with up to 4 hours with browsing and wifi on.
Other stuff: Backlit keyboard (don't need RGB), TB3 (for a future eGPU), and USB Type A (looking at YOU APPLE) is preferred.

Budget: 2700 us$, can go a bit higher if the machine is worth it (not more than 2900 though).

I would STRONGLY prefer not to look like a spaceship... I will be using it at work...

I was going to buy a AW15 but after doing some research, there are some issues with uneven core temps, high temps, that goes along with a bad heatsink design. I cannot risk getting one of this units, beacuse they would only repaste it here (not send a new one).

The EVGA SC 17 was looking promising but @Pendragon gave me a list of the machine problems. I really liked that laptop, if there is something similar I would really consider it.

I have to pucharse the laptop before the end of November or wait till February next year, (cause it needs at least 20 days for it to get here and I will be travelling on the 21st of December.)

Is Kalby Lake worth waiting?, Are there any mobile quadro cards coming in the near future with a little bit better gaming performance? (so I can consider a workstation), should I drop my gaming hobby and be a sad man for a better built machine?, What option would you recommend me?, What about an Aorus + Portable charger for the extended battery?.

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and recommend something!

30 minutes ago, Wizard said:

I was going to buy a AW15 but after doing some research, there are some issues with uneven core temps, high temps, that goes along with a bad heatsink design. I cannot risk getting one of this units, beacuse they would only repaste it here (not send a new one).

If that's the case go for the AW17. Uneven core temps were a result of a 3 screw CPU heatsink design that doesn't exist on the 17in. Get the top end model. Originally it retails at 3k, but it's Black Friday week so it's at 2400 right now. That's literally one of the few "gaming laptop" that would last around 4 hours at the moment. Even with a 99whr battery I'm not sure because that config comes with a 4k GSync screen. The Black Friday deal is really really sick. 6820hk + 1070 + 32gb ram + 512gb ssd + 1tb 7200rpm sata. Upgrade to the Killer 1535. Only thing I dislike is the 4k screen.

Yes it does look like a space ship, get some vinyl and do a wrap on it. Or grab a premade 1 and apply it.

@D2ultima is there an Argentina Clevo retailer?

Is Kalby Lake worth waiting?, Are there any mobile quadro cards coming in the near future with a little bit better gaming performance? (so I can consider a workstation), should I drop my gaming hobby and be a sad man for a better built machine?, What option would you recommend me?, What about an Aorus + Portable charger for the extended battery?.

No.

Yes (Pascal mobile quadro cards are coming out).

No.

Above.

Aorus X7v6 is okay, but no TB3, very expensive, and very hot. AW17 > Aorus. 

16 minutes ago, Ethan Ramai said:

Absolutely not. This thing is throttled so hard it barely keeps up with a mobile 1070. Benchmarks for the machine are out btw. It's hot. Not upgradable. Everything is soldered. Storage options are limited. And expensive for no reason. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

1 hour ago, Ethan Ramai said:

The only CPU option is the 6700HQ, so I would prefer other type of CPU for the kind of work I will be doing with it.

1 hour ago, Pendragon said:

If that's the case go for the AW17. Uneven core temps were a result of a 3 screw CPU heatsink design that doesn't exist on the 17in. Get the top end model. Originally it retails at 3k, but it's Black Friday week so it's at 2400 right now. That's literally one of the few "gaming laptop" that would last around 4 hours at the moment. Even with a 99whr battery I'm not sure because that config comes with a 4k GSync screen. The Black Friday deal is really really sick. 6820hk + 1070 + 32gb ram + 512gb ssd + 1tb 7200rpm sata. Upgrade to the Killer 1535. Only thing I dislike is the 4k screen.

Yes it does look like a space ship, get some vinyl and do a wrap on it. Or grab a premade 1 and apply it.

@D2ultima is there an Argentina Clevo retailer?

No.

Yes (Pascal mobile quadro cards are coming out).

No.

Above.

Aorus X7v6 is okay, but no TB3, very expensive, and very hot. AW17 > Aorus. 

Absolutely not. This thing is throttled so hard it barely keeps up with a mobile 1070. Benchmarks for the machine are out btw. It's hot. Not upgradable. Everything is soldered. Storage options are limited. And expensive for no reason. 

Mobile pascal quadros could be actually a reason to wait... 

Do you know if the 15 Heatsink problem is solved? if it is solved I am contacting the courier that bring the laptops here today!, those deals look AWSOME, I want to pool the trigger but I am wondering if the AW17" is too huge.. (I might build a paper volume and see if it fits my backpack lol).

Also do you know were I can order a premade vinyl for it?

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Do you know if the 15 Heatsink problem is solved?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/warning-some-i7-6820hks-and-i7-6700hq-have-uneven-core-temps-due-to-uneven-heatsink.797477/

No idea. Thread got way too long way too fast LOL. 

7 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Also do you know were I can order a premade vinyl for it?

Uhhh not sure. But there's plenty of people on forums that can tell you how to apply vinyl's to your laptop. 

Laptop Main

I am scared to order such a big a laptop and then not being able to carry it around... (There is also a new one with the 1080 on it, and the blackfriday disccount!).

I have been reading the forums and reddit. It seems that the 17" also has the uneven core temps issue with the 6820hk, and high temps, And if I am going to buy a 6700HQ one, I would better save some bucks and get the MSI GS63VR.

Are there any other options out there?.

I think I will go with an Aorus x5 (will look how much can I OC the 6820hk with that small chasis) or an MSI GS63VR. Would you recommend any portable charger that's really good for those to extend battery life?.

MSI GE Series? (GT will be too big), Gigabyte P35?...

I don't wanna risk getting my laptop, doing a stress test, and having to send it back to the US... It's a shame because I really liked the idea of getting the AW15 :'( .

Thats why I am not considering the Hidevolution global warranty for the P650 :(

3 hours ago, Wizard said:

I think I will go with an Aorus x5 (will look how much can I OC the 6820hk with that small chasis) or an MSI GS63VR. Would you recommend any portable charger that's really good for those to extend battery life?.

I dont think any of these laptops work with external battery pack. As far as I know only the XPS15 works.

Laptop Main

14 hours ago, Wizard said:

Hi LTT Forum!, I am looking for some advice on a laptop pucharse.

First of all, what am I going to be doing with the laptop?:

1) It will be my work companion, I am usually travelling between 2 cities and can't carry my desktop around.
What can of work should it be capable of doing?.
Should be able to run smoothly: AutoCAD Civil 3D, Autodesk Revit Structures, ETABS, Staad Pro, Microsoft Excel, 3Ds MAX, and some light video editing programs.
Should be able to spend some hours rendering projects at 90-100% CPU usage within thermal limits (not throttling under the load of this programs).
Should last at least 4 years without problem.

2) I am going to game on it when I don't have my desktop around, I am happy with it running:
Crysis 3 High Settings, 1080p, 60 fps.
Witcher 3 High Settings, 1080p, 60 fps.
Ashes of the singularity, 1080p, 60 fps.
And some other low demaning titles such as Wow, Lol, CS;GO, Overwatch, etc..

My main issue: I am from Argentina, I will be pucharsing the laptop on the US, so I would like to be able to have the warranty in my country. List of brands I know they support the warranty here are:
Dell (Alienware), Lenovo, Asus, Gigabyte (Aorus), MSI, EVGA, Acer, Apple, Razer, HP, Microsoft, Samsung, Toshiba, Sony, LG, etc... However, I couldn't find a Clevo Reseller here :( (Sad because I would have bought the P650RS if that was the case).
When I pucharse the laptop it needs to have a "global warranty", not limited to the US.
In my country is REALLY rare that they replace your laptop, they take it, "fix" it, and send it back, so... I would really take in to account the quality control and overall issues of the laptop.

Size and Weight:
I can carry around up to 10 pounds (between 4 and 5 Kg) without problem. However, I would like the laptop to not be higher than 3-4cm, because I have to carry some notebooks and other things in my bag at the same time.
I would prefer it to be smaller than 17", with 15" being my preferred option, but I can do with a 17" if it hits all my requirements.

Specs:
CPU: At least 6820HQ, or better, all the software I will be using it's pretty CPU demanding.
RAM: 32 Gb pref. ; Can deal with 16 Gb and upgrading to 32 later.
SSD: A fast nvme 500 gb.
GPU: The best I can get within my budget. I will do fine with a 1050ti performance level on my laptop, but it will be nicer to have something like a 1070 for future games!
Screen: I need it to have a nice contrast ratio and good color accuracy. The nicer the screen, the better because I will be working my projects on it. Also, low or non-existant backlight bleed.
Battery life: I am happy with up to 4 hours with browsing and wifi on.
Other stuff: Backlit keyboard (don't need RGB), TB3 (for a future eGPU), and USB Type A (looking at YOU APPLE) is preferred.

Budget: 2700 us$, can go a bit higher if the machine is worth it (not more than 2900 though).

I would STRONGLY prefer not to look like a spaceship... I will be using it at work...

The EVGA SC 17 was looking promising but @Pendragon gave me a list of the machine problems. I really liked that laptop, if there is something similar I would really consider it.

I have to pucharse the laptop before the end of November or wait till February next year, (cause it needs at least 20 days for it to get here and I will be travelling on the 21st of December.)

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and recommend something!

The AW 15 heat issue was a software thing.  I'm fairly sure they issued an update to fix it, from what I have heard.

Get the Alienware.

4 hours ago, Wizard said:

I am scared to order such a big a laptop and then not being able to carry it around... (There is also a new one with the 1080 on it, and the blackfriday disccount!).

I have been reading the forums and reddit. It seems that the 17" also has the uneven core temps issue with the 6820hk, and high temps, And if I am going to buy a 6700HQ one, I would better save some bucks and get the MSI GS63VR.

Are there any other options out there?.

MSI GE Series? (GT will be too big), Gigabyte P35?...

I don't wanna risk getting my laptop, doing a stress test, and having to send it back to the US... It's a shame because I really liked the idea of getting the AW15 :'( .

Thats why I am not considering the Hidevolution global warranty for the P650 :(

Alienware heat thing was a BIOS or software issue. I heard they fixed it with an update.

14 minutes ago, lilbman said:

Alienware heat thing was a BIOS or software issue. I heard they fixed it with an update.

No it's not jesus. Don't talk about things you don't know anything about. It's proven that it's due to the manufacturing process of the 3 screw design for the heatsinks that cause uneven pressure on the die resulting in high core temp differentials. 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/warning-some-i7-6820hks-and-i7-6700hq-have-uneven-core-temps-due-to-uneven-heatsink.797477/

Alienware has publicly responded to it too. 

Laptop Main

3 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

No it's not jesus. Don't talk about things you don't know anything about. It's proven that it's due to the manufacturing process of the 3 screw design for the heatsinks that cause uneven pressure on the die resulting in high core temp differentials. 

Alienware has publicly responded to it too. 

Don't kill the messenger

15 hours ago, Wizard said:

snip

You might want to know that AW17 1080 dropped. It's specced perfectly. No bullshit 4k. It's actually the sickest deal I've seen in while.

6820HK + 1080 + 1440p 120hz Panel + 32gb RAM + 512 NVME SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD + Killer 1535

$2674.99

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-17-laptop/dkcwg05hcombo?selectionState=eyJGUHJpY2UiOjI2NzQuOTksIk9DIjoiZGtjd2cwNWhjb21ibyIsIlF0eSI6MSwiTW9kcyI6W3siSWQiOjYsIk9wdHMiOlt7IklkIjoiR1RYMTA4MCIsIlByaWNlIjo5MDAuMH1dfSx7IklkIjoxNDYsIk9wdHMiOlt7IklkIjoiNzNNQ0g4IiwiUHJpY2UiOjI1MC4wfV19LHsiSWQiOjc2MCwiT3B0cyI6W3siSWQiOiJRSEQiLCJQcmljZSI6MjUwLjB9XX0seyJJZCI6MTksIk9wdHMiOlt7IklkIjoiTjE1MzUiLCJQcmljZSI6MjUuMH1dfSx7IklkIjoxMDE1LCJPcHRzIjpbeyJJZCI6IjMzMFczUCJ9XX0seyJJZCI6MjAsIk9wdHMiOlt7IklkIjoiMjQwV1BDIn1dfV19

^this is the cheapest 1080 laptop too. So this is actually good. Dell still uses shitty paste so repaste required. 

5 hours ago, Wizard said:

It seems that the 17" also has the uneven core temps issue with the 6820hk, and high temps

This is due to the extremely shitty Dell paste job and thermal pads. There was a specific bios version that was pretty hot too. The machines are decent, but Alienware done goofed with the heatsink design and TERRIBLE paste.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-17r4-15r3-disassembly-repaste-guide-results.797373/

^ basically what an AW17 is capable of. With proper tinkering and care. If you run into heatsink issues, well gg. I haven't seen the internals of the 1080 but supposedly it's been changed to accommodate for the AW17 1080. Lets hope they put a 4 screw heatsink design properly this time. 

Laptop Main

15 hours ago, Pendragon said:

You might want to know that AW17 1080 dropped. It's specced perfectly. No bullshit 4k. It's actually the sickest deal I've seen in while.

6820HK + 1080 + 1440p 120hz Panel + 32gb RAM + 512 NVME SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD + Killer 1535

$2674.99

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-17-laptop/dkcwg05hcombo?selectionState=eyJGUHJpY2UiOjI2NzQuOTksIk9DIjoiZGtjd2cwNWhjb21ibyIsIlF0eSI6MSwiTW9kcyI6W3siSWQiOjYsIk9wdHMiOlt7IklkIjoiR1RYMTA4MCIsIlByaWNlIjo5MDAuMH1dfSx7IklkIjoxNDYsIk9wdHMiOlt7IklkIjoiNzNNQ0g4IiwiUHJpY2UiOjI1MC4wfV19LHsiSWQiOjc2MCwiT3B0cyI6W3siSWQiOiJRSEQiLCJQcmljZSI6MjUwLjB9XX0seyJJZCI6MTksIk9wdHMiOlt7IklkIjoiTjE1MzUiLCJQcmljZSI6MjUuMH1dfSx7IklkIjoxMDE1LCJPcHRzIjpbeyJJZCI6IjMzMFczUCJ9XX0seyJJZCI6MjAsIk9wdHMiOlt7IklkIjoiMjQwV1BDIn1dfV19

^this is the cheapest 1080 laptop too. So this is actually good. Dell still uses shitty paste so repaste required. 

This is due to the extremely shitty Dell paste job and thermal pads. There was a specific bios version that was pretty hot too. The machines are decent, but Alienware done goofed with the heatsink design and TERRIBLE paste.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-17r4-15r3-disassembly-repaste-guide-results.797373/

^ basically what an AW17 is capable of. With proper tinkering and care. If you run into heatsink issues, well gg. I haven't seen the internals of the 1080 but supposedly it's been changed to accommodate for the AW17 1080. Lets hope they put a 4 screw heatsink design properly this time. 

Isn't that the same panel as the Aorus x7v6 and some other laptops that has the stripping issue on static images?.(there are some horizontal lines between pixels)

I don't know man... AW 17 might be too big to carry it around. How I wish they have fixed their 15 model...

I am actually considering the HIDevolution global warranty for the Clevo as you recommended me and to bother them so that the machine is flawless...

On the NBR topic I wrote asking the same thing they said that the warranty was pretty fast even for a global one, and that they send me the parts if I can fix some stuff myself so I don't have to be without the laptop.

Isn't that the same panel as the Aorus x7v6 and some other laptops that has the stripping issue on static images?.(there are some horizontal lines between pixels)

I thought it would be the Clevo panel, but not sure...I actually have no idea. 

31 minutes ago, Wizard said:

On the NBR topic I wrote asking the same thing they said that the warranty was pretty fast even for a global one, and that they send me the parts if I can fix some stuff myself so I don't have to be without the laptop.

Yea man HID global warranty is pretty fast. But if you're just getting the GS63VR, you might as well get it in your own country. LOL there is no "good" solution to your problem. I see everyone is pretty conflicted in your thread on NBR as well LOL.

Laptop Main

10 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

I thought it would be the Clevo panel, but not sure...I actually have no idea. 

Yea man HID global warranty is pretty fast. But if you're just getting the GS63VR, you might as well get it in your own country. LOL there is no "good" solution to your problem. I see everyone is pretty conflicted in your thread on NBR as well LOL.

A GS63VR Isn't even available here... and... an old MSI GE Model with a 960m and some i5 is like 2300 us$. Our presiden't said that next year they will remove the import tax on computer parts and laptops, because companies over here don't lower the prices no matter what.

However, I was talking about getting the Clevo with global warranty.

They are trying to talk me into getting a workstation in that thread but If I am going for a workstation I will wait for Pascal ones.

This a pretty big deal cause it took me 4 years saving for a good laptop haha! (I didn't even update my old GTX 580 to save some money), I need to think carefully... my options currently are:

1) Get a MSI GS63VR, portable. But, worst CPU/Battery life than I wanted. If I think I can do with 6700HQ I will get that one, with TB3 I have more options and futureproof.
2) Get an Aorus x5v6, they actually have a 1080 120hz display!, portable. A good CPU, battery life sucks, no TB3.
3) Get a P650 from HIDevolution, no TB3, good battery life, good CPU, but global warranty. Will never be able to have the warranty in my country.
4) Get an AW15, ideal option, and pray the gods I don't have the heatsink problem.
5) Wait, for pascal quadros or Alienware to no longer have issues with their 15 laptop.

2 hours ago, Wizard said:

4) Get an AW15, ideal option, and pray the gods I don't have the heatsink problem.

I'd take this option to be honest because the Black Friday sales are sick. Dell has good warranty. You can RMA it until you get a good one if you have time. I'm pretty sure @lilbman has one that doesn't have the heatsink issue. But the issue again is if you go back to Argentina, the RMA there might literally be a nightmare.

Laptop Main

1 hour ago, Pendragon said:

I'd take this option to be honest because the Black Friday sales are sick. Dell has good warranty. You can RMA it until you get a good one if you have time. I'm pretty sure @lilbman has one that doesn't have the heatsink issue. But the issue again is if you go back to Argentina, the RMA there might literally be a nightmare.

I think I wouldn't be able to RMA it, they would take the laptop (for likely 20 days more or less), repaste it, and then tell me that there is no problem with uneven core temps or that the cpu is ok running up to levels below 100 C (that's my fear).

I might have to contact dell support tomorrow.

EDIT: I have sent a mail to them and waiting for answer lets see what they tell me about the warranty.

3 hours ago, Pendragon said:

I think I wouldn't be able to RMA it, they would take the laptop (for likely 20 days more or less), repaste it, and then tell me that there is no problem with uneven core temps or that the cpu is ok running up to levels below 100 C (that's my fear).

I might have to contact dell support tomorrow.

EDIT: I have sent a mail to them and waiting for answer lets see what they tell me about the warranty.

I have the 6700HQ, which does not have the problems.  I've had no issues with my config.

@WizardFeel free to ask me about the laptop.

9 hours ago, lilbman said:

I have the 6700HQ, which does not have the problems.  I've had no issues with my config.

@WizardFeel free to ask me about the laptop.

The problem is I need the 6820hk and will OC it to 4.0 Ghz (that's why I would pay premium for Alienware)  for the 6700HQ I would just go with a cheaper option.

Do your alienware has the same heatsink as the 15 one? 

10 hours ago, lilbman said:

I have the 6700HQ, which does not have the problems.

Its not about the CPU. It's a heatsink issue. You could have the 6700HQ and have worse thermal issues.

Laptop Main

Almost a hole day and I haven't heard from them!, hurry up Alienware because I need a little bit of time to talk to an importer before pucharsing the laptop! (and I want the blackfriday deal).

(and I want the blackfriday deal).

Black Friday deals make them price competitive. Without it I wouldn't openly recommend them as much now. 

Laptop Main

Well as you can see on this reddit post the laptops have the issue, but they are going to release fixed models in a month or two, so there is no point in buying one now.

Dell support hasn't answered my mail yet.

gdau6pgoxhzx.png

6 hours ago, Wizard said:

snip

Nice. Dell has discounts and coupons all the time anyway. 

Laptop Main

• 2 weeks later...