Purchase 'new' 3DS in US?

Chillstice

It's been a really long time since I've done any mobile gaming. 'Mobile gaming' not in the sense of smartphone games, but rather any type of portable consoles like the DS lineup from Nintendo. The last time I've taken part in portable gaming was more than 6 years ago with the release of the Nintendo DSi. I quite enjoyed the experience and found the design of the DS to be interesting and unique. Later I sold it on my local Craigslist because I wasn't using it as much, but that's a different story. Later even, I started building computers, found this community, then started gaming more on the PC. 

Now my interest in Nintendo has sparked again after the recent release of Pokémon Sun/Moon. That got me thinking, I've missed out on such DS exclusives as: Mario Kart 7, Legend of Zelda, Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem, and many others. Surely as a gamer I should do my civil duty and experience these as well? That led me to spend some time researching the best skew of portable console and weigh my options. 

I found that the old DSi was replaced by the 3DS, and now it seems that as of about 2 years ago the 3DS was also improved upon with the release of the 'New' 3DS. Also worth mentioning are the 3DS XL and 2DS (but I'm not terribly interested in those). So I decided to see where I could purchase the 'new' 3DS from (retailers/ resellers) and what the current prices were. THIS is where I'm running into some issues. 

It seems that (in the US/NA at least) the "regular sized" 'new' 3DS can only be purchased as part of a package like the Animal Crossing thing that comes with the game and some funny looking covers among other things. 

Q: Can the "regular sized" 'new' 3DS be purchased as one piece (not part of a package) in the US/NA?

Then this also got me thinking: The 'new' 3DS is pushing 2 years now and there is the chance that another revision is in the works. As a PC enthusiast it isn't too surprising that I'm a no-compromises kinda guy.

Q: Should I wait for what's next?

Q: Are alternatives to portable gaming worth looking into? I like the Idea of carrying around a Razer Blade, but the skew I want is pushing $2000 (not really an option)

As always: I'll try to watch this thread closely and reply/ answer questions as the discussion goes on.

There will be a Super Mario Black/White New 3DS on Black Friday for $100. 

I don't expect there to be a new 3DS any time soon since Nintendo is probably going to focus on the Switch. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

There will be a Super Mario Black/White New 3DS on Black Friday for $100. 

I don't expect there to be a new 3DS any time soon since Nintendo is probably going to focus on the Switch. 

Will the Super Mario Black/White New 3DS be just like a stock one, but perhaps with a removable faceplate?

Also I've heard that even though it may seem like Nintendo is consolidating their home and portable console divisions, they're still going to be developing for portable. Do you think they're trying to merge the two starting with the switch and for the future to come?

The 3DS is still a valid, established platform in the hands of many people. Publishers know this. So that still leaves two scenarios/reasons that buying one is still a good idea if it fits the budget:

1) Games will continue to be developed because, as stated, many people have a 3DS of any flavor. 

2) Games won't be developed and will taper off until the only platform developers focus on is the Switch. That still leaves very, very many games that already exist that can be played. And with halting support, it won't be an "uphill battle" trying to keep up with more games to buy and play. 

It's a good system. Buy one. 

I'm starting to lean more and more towards planning to purchase that  Mario Black/White  package @djdwosk97 mentioned. The price seems too good to be true. Where can I get some details about it? Can I order online? 

2 hours ago, Chiller252 said:

I'm starting to lean more and more towards planning to purchase that  Mario Black/White  package @djdwosk97 mentioned. The price seems too good to be true. Where can I get some details about it? Can I order online? 

I'm not sure if you can order online but the 3DS will imo continue to be supported. Their main market is Asia where they don't have space for a console connected to a TV. Most have handhelds and the Switch although portable-ish, is not a handheld per se.

Also if you are mainly a PC player and you don't want any compromises then the new 3DS XL is just a bigger screen and chassis to fit adult hands way easier so why not just go for that? I tried a 2DS and the new 3DS and they both cramped my hands after a short time.

6 hours ago, Chiller252 said:

4 hours ago, I Hendrycks I said:

I'm not sure if you can order online but the 3DS will imo continue to be supported. Their main market is Asia where they don't have space for a console connected to a TV. Most have handhelds and the Switch although portable-ish, is not a handheld per se.

Also if you are mainly a PC player and you don't want any compromises then the new 3DS XL is just a bigger screen and chassis to fit adult hands way easier so why not just go for that? I tried a 2DS and the new 3DS and they both cramped my hands after a short time.

Afaik at least best buy/Amazon will be available online. And I think a few others are too. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.