What Advise Would You Give to A First Time Builder

5 minutes ago, plasticplanet said:

What to prepare, do I need thermal paste?

some coolers already have thermal paste on them, but its good to have some spare.

make sure to fit the cpu cooler on before you put it in the case.

make sure to put the IO plate or else you gotta unscrew the mobo screws all over again xD

cable management

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Put your cpu/cooler/ram onto the motherboard outside the case and then install the assembly as one.

Follow some tutorials, make sure you give yourself enough time, have another PC turned on so you can easily Google some stuff or even ask a forum for help, make sure you have a camera (or phone) handy so you can take a picture of what is wrong, but most of all just take it easy. If you're prepared well, or even make a small 'checklist' for yourself you'll be fine.

Also, read the manual if you have any questions. Oh and don't forget the thermal paste if your cooler doesn't have any pre applied and don't forget to plug in everything you need to plug in. Again, a checklist might be helpful.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Follow some tutorials, make sure you give yourself enough time, have another PC turned on so you can easily Google some stuff or even ask a forum for help, make sure you have a camera (or phone) handy so you can take a picture of what is wrong, but most of all just take it easy. If you're prepared well, or even make a small 'checklist' for yourself you'll be fine.

Also, read the manual if you have any questions. Oh and don't forget the thermal paste if your cooler doesn't have any pre applied and don't forget to plug in everything you need to plug in. Again, a checklist might be helpful.

Can you explain "thermal paste pre applied on cooler", isn't it supposed to be applied on the CPU?

1 minute ago, plasticplanet said:

Can you explain "thermal paste pre applied on cooler", isn't it supposed to be applied on the CPU?

Some coolers come with thermal pate applied on  them and others come with a tube of paste in the box

I'm just a random teenager from New Jersey. Why would you listen to me?

4 minutes ago, plasticplanet said:

When you apply thermal paste yourself, it is recommended to do it on the CPU because that is easier. However, some coolers (for example the Intel Stock cooler) have a some thermal paste on the bottom already, so the user doesn't have to put it on themselves. Most aftermarket coolers don't have this though.

You can see it has some thermal paste on it:

install1155_DSCF3470.jpg

It's the grey stuff on the copper slug.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 hours ago, SeanAngelo said:

some coolers already have thermal paste on them, but its good to have some spare.

make sure to fit the cpu cooler on before you put it in the case.

make sure to put the IO plate or else you gotta unscrew the mobo screws all over again xD

cable management

In Newegg there is motherboard form factor option for power supply, I am buying a Micro ATX motherboard, do I need to specify this for power supply?

6 minutes ago, plasticplanet said:

In Newegg there is motherboard form factor option for power supply, I am buying a Micro ATX motherboard, do I need to specify this for power supply?

no, most power supplies work with modern motherboards and have the right connectors

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Don't buy anything intel, AMD dominate the market.

Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock . XEON X5650 4.49ghz