Win10 shows 1.5TB as 500GB

OddsCrazyStuff

I went to replace my 2x 500GB in the server, but only found one despite Win10 Disk Manager saying I had 2.

After some trial and error, so did it turn out to be one of the 1.5TB once that showed as 500GB.

So do I have a faulty drive or does Win10 hide some partitions somewhere else then Disk Manager?

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

if i am not mistaken, 500+500=1000. that is a serious issue.

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

Just now, MrMcMuffinJr said:

if i am not mistaken, 500+500=1000. that is a serious issue.

The other 500GB was a different HDD. So the 1.5TB HDD was missing 1TB worth of space.

Searching has given me no answers to whether Win10 is hiding part of the HDD or if I have a bad one.

Its a shame to retire a 1.5TB drive when I still have a few 750GB once in use. Yes, I know 1TB is cheap, but when you got space for 40HDDs, so it getting raid cards enough for them all more important then replacing working drives.

Are all the hard drives in a RAID array?

If they are, then larger hard drives will only use the same amount of space as the lowest capacity hard drive in the array.

18 minutes ago, demonix00 said:

Are all the hard drives in a RAID array?

If they are, then larger hard drives will only use the same amount of space as the lowest capacity hard drive in the array.

I dont use the old drives in the raid. I use them for data dumps that need to be sorted (of 500GB so might only 20GB go to the raid), so I dont tax the expensive drives more then needed (cant afford to replace them before the system is fully populated).

8 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

I dont use the old drives in the raid. I use them for data dumps that need to be sorted (of 500GB so might only 20GB go to the raid), so I dont tax the expensive drives more then needed (cant afford to replace them before the system is fully populated).

This is most likely a software issue, but is there anyway you can test the drives in another PC to confirm that they're good?

5 minutes ago, Oberon.Smite said:

This is most likely a software issue, but is there anyway you can test the drives in another PC to confirm that they're good?

I just checked the logs and it seems that the 1.5TB one, was the one Win10 said was failing, so guess its not worth it. It always showed as 500GB, so it was not because it was failing, unless it has been since I took it in use again a few months ago.

But I would still like to find out how Win10 made a 1.5TB into a 500GB one. It could save me a lot of trouble when dealing with so many different sized drives.