Any tech channels who aren't woefully misinformed about everything?

othertomperson
19 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Says the dude who doesn't bother to type with proper grammar.

No one should bother to have a discussion with someone who says that.. It's the weakest argument you could make against someone. This is the internet, not a peer review for an essay 

13 minutes ago, Wolther said:

No one should bother have a discussion with someone who says that.. It's the weakest argument you could make against someone. This is the internet, not a peer review for an essay 

Agree, thats why i said that the discussions ends there.

Its a bit immature to me but yeah..

The funny part is that i am exaly a girl.

So yeah not sure what to say :D

8 minutes ago, Wolther said:

No one should bother to have a discussion with someone who says that.. It's the weakest argument you could make against someone. This is the internet, not a peer review for an essay 

True but having proper grammar helps make a person's statements more clear and easily understood by people reading/listening to them.  If it's hard or impossible to understand the point being made then it's not much different from saying nothing.

I realize that in some cases the person's nonstandard grammar can be understood but what I'm specifically talking about are cases where it's so bad that you just look at what you're reading and say "I have no clue what they mean."   

Another issue with poor grammar is it makes people vulnerable to ad hominem attacks by people desperate to win an argument or debate.  Using proper grammar helps to avoid that and keep things civil and on topic.  

Not to excuse rude behavior like that of course but I would think most people would agree it's best to avoid triggering inappropriate responses.  Especially if it can be done so easily by doing something as simple as using proper grammar.  

8 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Agree, thats why i said that the discussions ends there.

Its a bit immature to me but yeah..

The funny part is that i am exaly a girl.

So yeah not sure what to say :D

I was thinking it was more so because he called you a dude when your profile (that he could've easily check to see if your gender was stated) clearly says you're female.  ? lol

11 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

True but having proper grammar helps make a person's statements more clear and easily understood by people reading/listening to them.  If it's hard or impossible to understand the point being made then it's not much different from saying nothing.

I realize that in some cases the person's nonstandard grammar can be understood but what I'm specifically talking about are cases where it's so bad that you just look at what you're reading and say "I have no clue what they mean."   

Another issue with poor grammar is it makes people vulnerable to ad hominem attacks by people desperate to win an argument or debate.  Using proper grammar helps to avoid that and keep things civil and on topic.  

Not to excuse rude behavior like that of course but I would think most people would agree it's best to avoid triggering inappropriate responses.  Especially if it can be done so easily by doing something as simple as using proper grammar.  

That's not the case here. He could understand what she was saying; she has few mistakes and as far as I can see the only major thing is just random spacing and transitions to each sentence. Most likely the majority of people you meet on the internet does not have English as their native language.

If you don't understand something then just ask them to expand onto their thought. Don't use it as an 'argument' to completely make the conversation irrelevant to what the conversation was even about. These are basic skills people learn in their life. 

Just now, Wolther said:

That's not the case here. He could understand what she was saying. 

If you don't understand something then just ask them to expand onto their thought. Don't use it as an 'argument' to completely make the conversation irrelevant to what the conversation was even about. These are basic skills people learn in their life. 

I'm aware what she said was able to be understood that's why I said that mostly what I was talking about was more extreme cases of poor grammar where you're left scratching your head trying to decipher it.  

I also meant to say that ad hominem attacks are not a valid response in a debate/argument.   In the same way that profanity is used by people to hide their weak or nonexistent position in a debate ad hominem attacks are used when they know they don't have a valid point to make and are desperate to "win".  

Though it it is best to minimize the likelihood of profanity or ad hominem bs by just using proper grammar.  When you know a bear is in a bad mood it's best not to poke it.  ?

Sorry I should've been clearer about all that.  

Essentially I'm agreeing with you is what I mean. 

51 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Like i said discussion ends.

You already said that.

Why are you saying this when someone says something contrary to your opinion back to you?

36 minutes ago, Wolther said:

I think you're wrong. If someone cannot even bother to type out their words correctly, and perhaps misspell them intentionally, how can I take what they say seriously?

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm aware what she said was able to be understood that's why I said that mostly what I was talking about was more extreme cases of poor grammar where you're left scratching your head trying to decipher it.  

I also meant to say that ad hominem attacks are not a valid response in a debate/argument.   In the same way that profanity is used by people to hide their weak or nonexistent position in a debate ad hominem attacks are used when they know they don't have a valid point to make and are desperate to "win".  

Though it it is best to minimize the likelihood of profanity or ad hominem bs by just using proper grammar.  When you know a bear is in a bad mood it's best not to poke it.  ?

Sorry I should've been clearer about all that.  

Essentially I'm agreeing with you is what I mean. 

I know and I agree with all of those points. Just was (in my opinion) a weird time to present extreme cases when I was talking about that specific person. 

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I think you're wrong. If someone cannot even bother to type out their words correctly, and perhaps misspell them intentionally, how can I take what they say seriously?

No one is going to misspell their words intentionally.. At least I can not see any kind of specific case someone would have an objective to do so. 

I'm sure she is either young or English is not her native language. It's the input that really matters, not the way someone types their words out (as long as they're understandable) which from my perspective they were understandable enough to get the gist of it. 

People can't take someone seriously if they make insults rather than adding to a conversation. 

5 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What's that?    (He asks totally not sounding like an Internet noob...  >_>)

It's an entertaining enough channel by a guy who, by his own admission, got into tech tubing because that's where the viewers were (read: where the money is). He does some fun stuff and puts together some cool builds, then kills them with a Deepcool PSU. Some of the advice he gives and things he says are absolutely mind-boggling, and some of his videos, while fun, are about as much science as the later seasons of Mythbusters.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 hours ago, Wolther said:

No one is going to misspell their words intentionally.. At least I can not see any kind of specific case someone would have an objective to do so. 

I'm sure she is either young or English is not her native language. It's the input that really matters, not the way someone types their words out (as long as they're understandable) which from my perspective they were understandable enough to get the gist of it. 

People can't take someone seriously if they make insults rather than adding to a conversation. 

English is indeed not my native language.

But grammer doesn´t really say anything about a person´s intelligense.

Or atleast i would never judge a person based on it.

But if he thinks that he cannot take people seriously, because they make a couple of grammer errors.

Then so be it, its his opinion.

For me the discussion totally ends there.

i dont want to make a big deal about it.

Level 1 techs is the main community i´m active on.

Its also the main channel that i follow.

Not saying that other channels are bad by any means.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

It's an entertaining enough channel by a guy who, by his own admission, got into tech tubing because that's where the viewers were (read: where the money is). He does some fun stuff and puts together some cool builds, then kills them with a Deepcool PSU. Some of the advice he gives and things he says are absolutely mind-boggling, and some of his videos, while fun, are about as much science as the later seasons of Mythbusters.

So mostly it's for entertainment rather than actual learning?

Is Deepcool really bad?

On 17/11/2016 at 10:45 PM, Godlygamer23 said:

I don't know why this is was in Tech News and Reviews.

Thread moved to General Discussion.

Because I was very tired when I made this last night loooooooool

On 17/11/2016 at 11:09 PM, Qwweb said:

It is hard to give unbiased opinions, and while I agree that LTT has its problems I don't think that you will find engineering reports (kind of what you are asking about) anywhere on YouTube. In general most benchmarks will not really surprise anyone unless the manufacturer hasn't put the specs out yet. On that note, reading off of a specsheet is no different than most benchmarks as the cards usually conform pretty closely to the specs because of most assembly lines being automated, the purpose of benchmarks is not entertainment, but for recommendation.

OC3D do benchmarks reasonably well. There's a good long list of stuff going back more than one generation (which is actually useful. If I have an R9 270 and I wanted to check if an RX 460 was actually an improvement, this data is useful) and if something odd is happening they look at it in more detail and comment on it (like they did when the boost clock of both Polaris and Pascal GPUs wasn't being consistent). If Luke does a benchmark and comes up with something odd and unexpected happening it ends up in the final video without a second's comment, but it doesn't matter because the entire video's informational content barely spans 3 minutes anyway.

I'm not talking about having in-depth coding instructional videos, I'm talking about basic stuff like knowing the difference between heat and temperature, commenting on the benchmark data when it is within the margin of error and not recommending one card over another based on less than a reliable 1 FPS difference (this is something Jayztwocents did all the fucking time, and was such a consistent irritation that I stopped being able to watch his GPU reviews at all), and not simply concluding that one card just "doesn't do Dx12" when their own benchmarks don't support that conclusion.

6 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I remember Tiny Tom Logan's review of the MSI Z97S Krait board. It was 12 minutes long and the only thing he talked about was how it was black and white. Maybe their articles are decent (I don't read the site so I don't know) but fuck their video reviews. Tiny Tom is twice as bad as Jay about rambling on and on without giving any useful information.

I agree with this, too. Having just praised his GPU benchmarks, TTL's interpretation of "depth" in every other aspect seems to be "make a 10 minute video, and repeat every point at least seven times".

16 hours ago, Technicolors said:

AdoredTV. he posts once in a while but he delves a lot into AMD, Intel , and Nvidia. not hugely tech-savvy but he makes good points 

https://www.youtube.com/user/adoredtv

I actually have a lot of respect for Jim, in spite of him being very obviously an AMD fanboy. You say he isn't "tech-savvy", but he is the only tech youtuber I have ever seen attempt reasonable mathematical methods in his videos to justify conclusions, he's talked to me briefly about his desire to present benchmarks in a more statistically meaningful manner in future which is promising, and more than anything I am still convinced that he is the only tech youtuber who even knows what Asynchronous Compute even is, and isn't just using it as a buzzword.

12 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

They are one of the best yes, and one channel that I can say I trust, but there was more than one time when their transparency was put to question, mainly because some of their videos, like Mirrors Edge: Catalyst, while comparing a 970 and a 390 on what they say were identical settings showed fairly large differences in shadows for instance. 

Well, when one driver has a higher CPU overhead than the other (as they did even back in the late 90's)......

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 11/17/2016 at 6:41 PM, paddy-stone said:

Yeah, I really couldn't care less about someone reading from marketing etc. I watch some videos because of the content interests me only to be disappointed because it was like blah blah...30 seconds of interesting, blah blah. I prefer a more hands-on approach... if I had a face that wouldn't induce vomitting then I would make my own vids, but oh well :)

I REALLY wish that content creators wouldn't skip over stuff though, especially when they have clickbait titles like "how to build a PC", I watch for the LOLs by the way and just to check validity. If you really want a "how to build a pc" type thing, you should head to paul's hardware, he did a couple recently that were concise and covered most of the stuff a noob could want really, including the much missed "how to install the OS" that most gloss over... hhmmhmm linus.. cough!

Not having a go at anyone, just can't understand people making a "how to", but missing the vital ingredient, I bet loads of noobs got clickbaited with that one and then struggled to ask questions on the forums.

if my friend pulls the trigger on building a pc (which means him buying parts and me building it lol) ill do a legit how to for eevery step until its up and running ready to play games, since my friend is litterally a noob and has never done it before

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

I personaly allways compair benchmarks from multiple sources and tech tubers.

And based up on that i make my own conclusions.

i could only recommend to everyone to do the same thing.

25 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

So mostly it's for entertainment rather than actual learning?

Is Deepcool really bad?

More entertainment than learning, yes.

Also, boom.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Honestly, I don't watch youtubers for good, in-depth reviews. I watch them for:

a) Entertainment

b) Getting informed about new products

c) Staring at a screen late at night to try and make myself fall asleep

If I see a product in a video that seems interesting, I do my own research on it. These guys have an obligation to themselves, which is to make a living. That means catering to the masses that want entertaining content that doesn't make them think or go too in depth. Personally I find that very engaging, but that isn't the norm (unfortunately). So to actually address the original question, not really. I see mistakes in multifarious videos on youtube. My advice would be to take everything you watch with a generous dose of salt, and just watch channels that you find entertaining, then research the stuff you care about yourself.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...