Internet backbone

Is it possible for an individual user to bypass ISPs altogether and connect directly to the "Internet backbone”?

Technically, yes. Practically, no. 

EDIT: There isn't really an internet backbone, though. The internet is just a gigantic WAN made up of multiple other WANs that are in turn made up of LANs. 

Not without a shit ton of money which alot will be paid to said isp's in peering arrangements. You could become a re seller but that will still cost far more than a consumer product would. 

Sneak into a Tier 1 ISP Datacenter with a very long fiber optic cable. :D

You need to look at a provider like Level 3. They are a backbone provider. Most ISPs connect in to these main providers. I would guess they would want your first, second and third born every month for the cost of service. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

21 hours ago, mcfly said:

Are you asking this with the intent of connecting to the internet for free?

This.

What is the intended outcome?

4 hours ago, U.Ho said:

This.

What is the intended outcome?

just want to know 

Yes it is possible, and without a long fiber optic cable.

However I am not going to tell you how, as this method is essentially high level hacking with a tunneling probe.

It is illegal.

If you want to research it, and find out for yourself how to do it be my guest, It took me all of three years to learn this trick.

But don't say I didn't warn you, when you have the feds knocking at your door.

Just now, dr_sepheroth said:

However I am not going to tell you how, as this method is essentially high level hacking with a tunneling probe.

It is illegal.

If you want to research it, and find out for yourself how to do it be my guest, It took me all of three years to learn this trick.

I call bullshit. Or do you just want to feel special by pretending to know something special that no one knows even though you are just talking out of your ass. 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

18 hours ago, dr_sepheroth said:

It is illegal.

Yeah, this is bullshit. You can't just 'Hack' your way into a backbone connection, it's something that would have to be physically installed.  No matter WHAT internet wizardy you managed, even hacking into your ISP's database and upping service without paying for it, your connection could never go faster than the limits of the physical connection that is making that internet service.  Even unlocked and full tilt a consumer ISP connection can't even remotely approach the kinds of bandwidth of a backbone connection.

18 hours ago, dr_sepheroth said:

It is illegal.

Connecting to an "Internet Backbone" or Tier 1 provider or becoming your own Tier 1 network is a physical thing, there is no trick/bypass to do it. This is a rather basic fundamental of networking, there is a big different between hacking past security measures and network restrictions on an internet connection and actually peering with other Tier 1 network providers.

This is the exact same principle as electricity, and funnily enough the tiers and layers between a residential house and the main power grid, and power plant, is the same as the internet. If you want to connect to the main grid (which again is grids of grids) you actually have to physically connect to it with your own substation which unless your a huge data center or manufacturing plant is not a thing that is why retail power companies exist and same goes for ISPs.

What your talking about still requires a general internet connection which you then "hack" past security measures to get elevated privileges to the network or to hide yourself.

Before you consider responding further in this thread or directly to me keep this in mind, there are members of this community that work in this field who are network engineers for ISPs or work in data centers and have close ties to Tier 1 and Tier 2 providers.

Easiest way to connect to the Internet backbone is to rent space in Equinix DC2, rent a cross connect to their exchange (which has almost every other ISP there) and start making peering arrangements like mad. The first two are easily done but require substantial monthly cost (many times what a home internet connection would be) and the third item is so complicated that most companies have a department just for that purpose. It also typically costs money if your traffic is unbalanced, meaning you aren't uploading and downloading in about equal amounts. ISPs only want to peer for free with other ISPs for whom it is a mutual arrangement.

Edit: ISPs also only peer with you for free if you are offering a connection to servers their customers access regularly, and you can expect they will be routing a good amount of traffic through you. BGP policy is as bad or worse than what goes on in any congress or parliament.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: