$2000 Gaming & Development Laptop

Remixt

I'm buying a laptop in January for professional and personal use. I'm a software engineer, but I also play a lot of AAA games like Farcry, Fallout, Bioshock... ect 

I know for 2k I can't get the best of the best, but I'm looking for something that has these specs at a minimum:

• At least a 4 hour battery life under a medium load such as running an IDE like Visual Studio or Eclipse.
  • A GTX 1060 or higher (Prefer a 1070 because I want a QHD screen).
  • Decent Solid State drive with at least 256 Gb of space (I actually prefer not to have an HDD at all since those can drain battery)
  • Core i-7 6700+ cpu, would love a kaby lake if those will be available in January
  • 16+GB of ram, prefer 32 for virtualization purposes
  • 1080p is fine, but QHD or 4k with 1080p available for gaming is what I would prefer
  • Premium build quality, I move around a lot throwing stuff in and out of a backpack all day so I need it to be somewhat durable.

So far, I've been looking at the Razerblade, but I've seen complaints about it overheating and a few other minor issues. Not to mention it seems a bit pricey.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

1 minute ago, Remixt said:

I actually prefer not to have an HDD at all since those can drain battery

Wat??

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

6 minutes ago, Remixt said:

I'm buying a laptop in January for professional and personal use. I'm a software engineer, but I also play a lot of AAA games like Farcry, Fallout, Bioshock... ect 

I know for 2k I can't get the best of the best, but I'm looking for something that has these specs at a minimum:

• At least a 4 hour battery life under a medium load such as running an IDE like Visual Studio or Eclipse.
  • Decent Solid State drive with at least 256 Gb of space (I actually prefer not to have an HDD at all since those can drain battery)
  • Core i-7 6700+ cpu, would love a kaby lake if those will be available in January
  • 1080p is fine, but QHD or 4k with 1080p available for gaming is what I would prefer
  • Premium build quality, I move around a lot throwing stuff in and out of a backpack all day so I need it to be somewhat durable.

So far, I've been looking at the Razerblade, but I've seen complaints about it overheating and a few other minor issues. Not to mention it seems a bit pricey.

Every GTX 1060 laptop will overheat...

10 minutes ago, Remixt said:

If you can afford it, the Razerblade is the best option IMO. 

Just now, TechNutz said:

Best in terms of a stove

Honestly most laptops with such high end GPU's overheat from what I know.

10 minutes ago, Jonathan W said:

Wat??

Physical disk hard drives have moving parts which makes them far less power efficient than solid state drives.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

Just now, Remixt said:

Physical disk hard drives have moving parts which makes them far less power efficient than solid state drives.

The way you wrote that just made no sense

Highly doubt you'll actually notice it though

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

1 minute ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Not with the 10 series, the razorblade is one of the hottest running laptops because of how thin it is. 

8 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Most Gaming laptops don't become stoves either, check out the temperature razer blade 14 are getting. It's almost 85C+( that's not normal). I would say get alienware 15, it has great battery life and it doesn't become a stove. 

Just now, Jonathan W said:

The way you wrote that just made no sense

Highly doubt you'll actually notice it though

It's one of the worst parts for battery life actually. I switched my current laptop to an SSD and doubled the battery life. It takes quite a bit of energy to spin a disk at 7200 rpm

Just now, Remixt said:

Not with the 10 series, the razorblade is one of the hottest running laptops because of how thin it is. 

Honestly your not gonna find a laptop with 100% SSD, most are 256gb,512gb + 1TB of HDD, honestly i would just buy a laptop with a HDD and then sell the HDD and buy another SSD as that's the best option imo

Every Pascal card will overheat a laptop, if your fine with lowering it to a 980m this is the best option imo (but i'm not a laptop maniac) https://www.amazon.com/G752VY-DH78K-17-Inch-Overclocked-i7-6820HK-GeForce/dp/B01578ZLEY/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479226305&sr=1-3&keywords=Gaming+Laptop&refinements=p_36%3A180000-205000

It has a i7, 64gb of ram, 512gb NVMe SSD + 1TB HDD (so plenty storage)

I'm not just informed on the battery

I mean I have an ASUS G751 laptop and I love it. Granted it's only a 970m and it's 6th generation but it's still a monster for gaming and the newer ones that have full 10 series cards in them are even better. Maybe look at the new water cooled one? That way you can overclock when you're at your desk/home and get even better performance?

Project Hephaestus

4 minutes ago, Remixt said:

I mean I have an ASUS G751 laptop and I love it. Granted it's only a 970m and it's 6th generation but it's still a monster for gaming and the newer ones that have full 10 series cards in them are even better. Maybe look at the new water cooled one? That way you can overclock when you're at your desk/home and get even better performance?

Project Hephaestus

10 minutes ago, Jonathan W said:

I won't be using it at home, I already have an overkill desktop setup. I don't really trust Asus products as much as I used to. Most of my current PC is Asus stuff and its been a headache.

12 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Honestly your not gonna find a laptop with 100% SSD, most are 256gb,512gb + 1TB of HDD, honestly i would just buy a laptop with a HDD and then sell the HDD and buy another SSD as that's the best option imo

Every Pascal card will overheat a laptop, if your fine with lowering it to a 980m this is the best option imo (but i'm not a laptop maniac) https://www.amazon.com/G752VY-DH78K-17-Inch-Overclocked-i7-6820HK-GeForce/dp/B01578ZLEY/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479226305&sr=1-3&keywords=Gaming+Laptop&refinements=p_36%3A180000-205000

It has a i7, 64gb of ram, 512gb NVMe SSD + 1TB HDD (so plenty storage)

I'm not just informed on the battery

Why do you say that 10 series laptops overheat? I thought 10 series was far and away less prone to heat than maxwell chips.

The problem is OEM are stuffing 10 series card inside a 9 series designed cooling system, without doing any cooling design change. That's where the heating issue occurs, dam lazy ass OEM. It's not all laptops that are suffering from this, check out alienware 15

Does anyone know anything about the cyberpowerpc laptops? This seems like pretty good bang for the buck.

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/VR_XPLORER_X5_I7_6820HK_Gaming_Laptop

3 hours ago, keNNySOC said:

3 hours ago, Matias_Chambers said:

only shitty ones.

Rebranded Clevo laptops can cool pascal.

These have some of the best support and they have prema mod bios (when it comes out. 

http://www.hidevolution.com/new-laptops/gaming-laptops/evoc-clevo/15-inch-gaming-laptops

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 hours ago, keNNySOC said:

Nope. 

5 hours ago, Matias_Chambers said:

If you can afford it, the Razerblade is the best option IMO. 

LOL NOPE. Like someone above mentioned, maybe as a pan to fry eggs.

4 hours ago, Remixt said:

Why do you say that 10 series laptops overheat? I thought 10 series was far and away less prone to heat than maxwell chips.

Most of them overheat. Because while Pascal has a lower TDP (total heat waste), it's a denser chip so the heat is much more concentrated, making it MUCH harder to dissipate. Maxwell while consuming more power was not a dense chip and so it could be cooled easily. (Maxwell was pretty fucking amazing in terms of architecture)

4 hours ago, Remixt said:

THIS IS A CLEVO. LOL. Refer to @Dackzy comment. Also for a lower price but also Prema mod and less enthusiast grade services check out LPC-Digital. https://lpc-digital.com/product/sager-np8153-special-clevo-p650rs/?ex=1

^ this is LITERALLY the same laptop on Cyberpower. Cyberpower likes to rip people off and I only recommend people to go there during their sick deals.  

Also side note, 4k is shit on 15in laptops. 

5 hours ago, TechNutz said:

I would say get alienware 15

Another option is the alienware 15, but because Alienware fucked up their heatsink design sometimes it applies uneven pressure to the chips leading to extreme temperature differentials between cores (20C+ sometimes). It's an established issue. But overall it's still fine. If you notice high difference in core temps you can either RMA it or use a janky DIY method found on NBR forums. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

1 minute ago, Pendragon said:

Nope. 

LOL NOPE. Like someone above mentioned, maybe as a pan to fry eggs.

Most of them overheat. Because while Pascal has a lower TDP (total heat waste), it's a denser chip so the heat is much more concentrated, making it MUCH harder to dissipate. Maxwell while consuming more power was not a dense chip and so it could be cooled easily. (Maxwell was pretty fucking amazing in terms of architecture)

THIS IS A CLEVO. LOL. Refer to @Dackzy comment. Also for a lower price but also Prema mod and less enthusiast grade services check out LPC-Digital. https://lpc-digital.com/product/sager-np8153-special-clevo-p650rs/?ex=1

^ this is LITERALLY the same laptop on Cyberpower. Cyberpower likes to rip people off and I only recommend people to go there during their sick deals.  

Also side note, 4k is shit on 15in laptops. 

Another option is the alienware 15, but because Alienware fucked up their heatsink design sometimes it applies uneven pressure to the chips leading to extreme temperature differentials between cores (20C+ sometimes). It's an established issue. But overall it's still fine. If you notice high difference in core temps you can either RMA it or use a janky DIY method found on NBR forums. 

Thanks for the advice, I want QHD or 4k because I need alot of screen real estate for development. For games I would scale down to 1080p

Just now, Remixt said:

Thanks for the advice, I want QHD or 4k because I need alot of screen real estate for development. For games I would scale down to 1080p

I have a 4k screen. I'm telling you right now, the "screen estate" doesn't matter on 15in because you only have a PHYSICAL space of 15in. Your UI is small as fuck and unscaled, it's going to be hard to use. I prefer 1440p screens for 14in. 4k is too much. Best way to experience this is to try a 4k screen on 15in's yourself. It's nice when it works, but a fucking nightmare when it doesn't. 

Laptop Main

12 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

I have a 4k screen. I'm telling you right now, the "screen estate" doesn't matter on 15in because you only have a PHYSICAL space of 15in. Your UI is small as fuck and unscaled, it's going to be hard to use. I prefer 1440p screens for 14in. 4k is too much. Best way to experience this is to try a 4k screen on 15in's yourself. It's nice when it works, but a fucking nightmare when it doesn't. 

Also, I loved the Pendragon series as a kid. <3

Just now, Remixt said:

Also, I loved the Pendragon series as a kid. <3

Name isn't based off that series :) 

Laptop Main

Just now, Pendragon said:

Just now, Pendragon said:

=(