CPU Manufactor costs?

BenoitWW

I was wondering, does it cost a CPU manufacturer (e.g. Intel) more to make a high end chip than a low end chip

E.g. the i7-6950X retails far higher than a Pentium G4400, but does the manufacturing process itself cost more for the 6950X?

2 minutes ago, BenoitWW said:

I was wondering, does it cost a CPU manufacturer (e.g. Intel) more to make a high end chip than a low end chip

E.g. the i7-6950X retails far higher than a Pentium G4400, but does the manufacturing process itself cost more for the 6950X?

probably not i guess. they probably spent more time researching that chip marking it higher, but i ain't sure yo.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

4 minutes ago, BenoitWW said:

No the same socket cpus cost the same to make.  A 5820k is the same die as the 6950x so they cos the same to make.  They are just making high profit on the x part. 

It is probably cheaper to make a small doe cpu like the 6700k or g4400 but remember atm the small doe cpus are lower nm and so they have more in r and D costs. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Just now, Apollo Refugio said:

probably not i guess. they probably spent more time researching that chip marking it higher, but i ain't sure yo.

also remember cpu yields, not every processor that intel makes is sold, as some aren't good enough and are just thrown away. The smaller the nm the chip set is built on, the lower the yield 

Most technology has a bill of materials cost far lower than what it sells for. You're mostly paying the engineers.

There is this joke where a company bought a robot from a scientist. The robot breaks down and they can't figure out what's wrong with it. The scientist comes in, takes a look, and then makes an "X" where the problem is. Later the scientist sends them a bill for $10,000. Confused, the company demands to know why the bill was high. The scientist responds: "$1 was for the marker. The rest was knowing where to put the mark."

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Most technology has a bill of materials cost far lower than what it sells for. You're mostly paying the engineers.

There is this joke where a company bought a robot from a scientist. The robot breaks down and they can't figure out what's wrong with it. The scientist comes in, takes a look, and then makes an "X" where the problem is. Later the scientist sends them a bill for $10,000. Confused, the company demands to know why the bill was high. The scientist responds: "$1 was for the marker. The rest was knowing where to put the mark."

noice joke m8

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Pretty much silicon is just sand and how many grams of sand is in a cpu die?  I think a cpu costs less than the box in materials :P just the making it work on that's nano level that's hard. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Just now, Jumper118 said:

Pretty much silicon is just sand and how many grams of sand is in a cpu die?  I think a cpu costs less than the box in materials :P just the making it work on that's nano level that's hard. 

Semiconductors are more than just silicon. They also require copper, gold, arsenic, and germanium. At least.

1 minute ago, Jumper118 said:

That sand is highly refined, made in billion dollar machines, kept in a billions of dollar labs, and designed by the best of the best in the world

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Well the die size is larger on higher-end processors/GPUs but the materials themselves really don't cost that much. (Maybe like 10USD?)

the machines that make the CPUs, and the R&D that goes into making the designs are what you pay for

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

14 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

No the same socket cpus cost the same to make.  A 5820k is the same die as the 6950x so they cos the same to make.  They are just making high profit on the x part. 

It is probably cheaper to make a small doe cpu like the 6700k or g4400 but remember atm the small doe cpus are lower nm and so they have more in r and D costs. 

The 6950X is 14nm, just like the 6700k.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

wow intel are huge dickheads then. i get how to make money and to engineers, but $2000 for a CPU manufacture for $10ish dollars according to this thread. BS

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Semiconductors are more than just silicon. They also require copper, gold, arsenic, and germanium. At least.

shouldn't we also count the products that are not in the final product but are involved in the production process such as acids and whatever (don't actually know whats involved but im sure there's bound to be some chemical baths somewhere), not to mention the hand constructed probes for testing the cpu's

Also that silicon has to be ultra pure. Silicon ingots used for semiconductor manufacturing are, according to the Wiki, 99.9999999% pure. Google said that purity of silicon can go for $100/oz.

EDIT: For reference, gold is about $1200/oz and silver is about $15/oz (though its commodity purity)

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Yes idk :P

8 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

That sand is highly refined, made in billion dollar machines, kept in a billions of dollar labs, and designed by the best of the best in the world

I said raw materials not machines also child labour is cheap. 

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

The 6950X is 14nm, just like the 6700k.

So it is.  I forget that Broadwell e exists because it's so crap :D

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Wat

You mean Broadwell alone? The 5675c and 5775c weren't really noteworthy, but the 6800k, 6850k, 6900k and 6950X are.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, Jumper118 said:

There is no child labour in Intel fabs.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

i'd gladly be a child laborer if that meant a free 6950x xD 

Just now, Apollo Refugio said:

i'd gladly be a child laborer if that meant a free 6950x xD 

Same xD 

Spoiler

AXIOM

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Wat

You mean Broadwell alone? The 5675c and 5775c weren't really noteworthy, but the 6800k, 6850k, 6900k and 6950X are.

No I have an 5675c and n my main rig and it's great,  but the pricing of the 6xxx E cpus makes me forget they exist.  I wouldnt buy one over a heaswell E. 

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

;)

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

No I have an 5675c and n my main rig and it's great,  but the pricing of the 6xxx E cpus makes me forget they exist.  I wouldnt buy one over a heaswell E. 

;)

Dude, have you seen the inside of a fab?

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

Dude, have you seen the inside of a fab?

Yes I eat them all the time in summer

home--hero--main--lolly.png

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme