Open Bench Table Review

First, wait

The price for this test bench is justified. I mean there are test benches that are cheaper or more expensive, but don't give the same experience, and you spend more money for your hardware anyway xD

I can't imagine anyone who finds this unaffordable having the means to buy hardware to test on it.

Looks really well made and thought off. Even that it is portable can be usefull for the people attending contests. But the price is ridiculously high.

this is about $200 NZD. For less than $200NZD I can build one without the problem identified in the video. For that price I might even be able to build a wire mesh cage to protect a running system from insects and dog hair

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Glad to see such feedback. The stand off that Luke refer too is actually supposed to go at the bottom of the PCI-Express support at the same level as for the motherboard. This is described in the manual (but who read them anyway ?)

Disclaimer : I am part of the project ;)

P1140957-low.jpg

P1140958-low.jpg

Worth it if I was looking for that open air look.  Only issue I see is the radiator mount looks a bit flimsy.  Otherwise I dig the minimalist design. 

I agree that nobody who would be buying anything other than the cheapest possible test bench would find $150 too much. 

This thing is awesome. The price is a bit high, but I don't see it as a deal breaker. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

If you can afford to regularly test new components, I don't see how $150 would be too much..

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

I don't get the bitching about the price in the video. Normally companies cheap out on everything and everybody complains about the build quality and now a company finally starts to manufacture sturdy and high build quality products and asks for a price that matches and you complain about it again.

High quality and a cheap price is very hard to achieve, especially if the material is not just f-ing plastic *cough*wetbench*cough*.

Also this thing looks like you could easily have it for ten or twenty years before it breaks. The only thing I could imagine to wear out are the screws, but I guess one could replace those.

I love this!  It's so cool that despite not really needing a test bench, I'm already finding myself looking for reasons why I might.

Since it's also open source, I'm wondering if we might see a kit for it at some point to turn it into a more traditional case.  An aluminum and glass fish tank sort of thing.

So, I bought one within like 20 minutes of that video. Luke, I really wish you and the team will bring more lesser-known or off-brand, quality projects to light.

I, admittedly, over-built a system inside my case. And servicing it is hard. But, at the same time, servicing my personal rig has always been more of a chore, where helping friends and family has been fun. I simply don't have the time or energy to fidget with my own case when something goes wrong. But this, high-quality aluminum, in a styling I can really dig, with support for all my current hardware, this I can get behind. I'm going to be using this to replace my current case completely, and using it as a case replacement. I may even get behind the community a bit and try to design some accessories myself. Currently thinking of perhaps slightly better radiator mounting. Or pump-mounts. Perhaps a new system of mounting to mount it vertical, in a more traditional style/look, or start/reset/front I/O also. Quite a few ideas buzzing around inside my head for this.

This video honestly was one of the most useful to me that you guys have ever made. Because it found a solution to a problem I couldn't seem to answer. And the best part is you guys didn't even mean to, you were just reviewing it as a bench test, which is perfectly fine. But yeah, I'll be back here with some thoughts and feedback after it arrives. I'm going to try and contact support to get an extra standoff, since my board uses eight and weighs a lot, as well as perhaps try and get one more PCI bracket item.

I have older one, sample and its helpfull us in Czech republic, because we have small studio in another city and sometimes you need traveling to the another place with benchtable also (events etc.) So really more easy way than my old "big and weighty" benchtable from 2010 :-)

CPU collection: i7-6700K, 2x-i7-5960x, i7-3930K, i7-4770K, i7-3770K, i7-2600K, i7-980X  AMD PII X4 965 BE C2, x4 965 BE C3, X4 970 BE, x4 975 BE, x4 980 BE, X6 1090T BE, x6 1100T BE, FX-8120 95W, FX-8120 12W, FX-8150, FX-4300, FX-6300, FX-8300, FX-8320, FX-8350, FX-8370E, FX-8370, FX-9370, FX-9590, A8-3870K, A8-5600K, A10-6800B, A10-6800K, A10-7700K, A10-7850K, A10-7870K, Athlon x4 860K, Athlon 5150. RIIIE, RIVE, RVE, Maximus5Extreme, M6F, M6E, M7H, C4F, C4E, C5F, C5F-Z, Crossblade Ranger

On 11/14/2016 at 1:56 PM, nicklmg said:

Learn more about the Open Bench Table: http://bit.ly/2fzCVRH

Open Bench Table Community Projects: http://bit.ly/2fOb29d

If ANYONE would be able to create a good testbench, it would be competitive overclockers. So, HWBot decided to do just that, and created the Open Bench Table...

I may try to make this if I can get some aluminium and CNC or waterjet time in my university's machine shop I may use 6061 aluminium in a slightly thinner form (plus some lightening pockets to shed weight wherever possible). I may also try to address the graphics card standoff issue in some way and/or make a custom radiator mount (to mount in a more secure way to all of the screw points on the given radiator). I feel that there could be some cool applications for this as effectively an open air case because it has (in my mind) a beautiful base for front and back full-motherboard waterblocks and custom loop cooling.

IMG_20161124_021523.jpg

IMG_20161124_021458.jpg

IMG_20161124_021452.jpg

IMG_20161124_021446.jpg

IMG_20161123_165718.jpg

Cable management on a completely open case is quite difficult. But doable. I wish the radiator mounts along the side supported farther separation. I plan on using a 480mm radiator, and two rad mounts is a bit sketchy for that. I might just desk mount it. Also, one of my screws stripped out. But overall, the experience with it so far has been pretty good.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I hope Linus or Luke read this.

I would like to buy a BC1 Open Test Bench, but I am concerned because of the power supply mount.

I wonder if it is really possible to mount any ATX power supply as it is shown in the manual:
With the fan upside, two screws on the left, one screw on the lower right side. And if the power supply is mounted like that, does the ground support it or is it just hanging on the three screws, hovering a few milimeters above the ground?
I wonder, because in some youtube videos the people were not able to fit the power supply. Or they had to mount it with the fan downside. Mounted this way, the fan would not be able to get enough fresh air and the power supply seemed to hang weird and bent above the ground.

Of course - it could be possible to construct some kind of workaround.

But I do not want to buy the BC1 because I absolutely need a test bench, but because of its clean industrial design.

And with a not reliable and somehow weird PSU mounting solution this would be a deal breaker.

My english is not good - I hope I could explain what I meant.

Greez