Why do high-end games seem to have low replayability these days?

divided_throwaway

They may or may be not sandbox, but they have a rather linear gameplay to them. For instance, Fallout 4 has a semi-linear gameplay, with which games progress according to some story. A processor like the FX 6300 can only run it at something like 30 to 40 FPS, off the top of my head. In contrast, games like CS:GO doesn't have a story-based gameplay, but can be played ad infinitum due to its simplicity. I think GTAO fits into this category as well, and I'd say it falls under the "mid-range" category for system requirements and games. I'm pretty sure that No Man's Sky, if the omissions weren't made, would have been a high-end game that wasn't so linear. Arma 3 just has poor optimisation, but has decent replayability in multiplayer from what I've briefly seen.

This can be a dealbreaker, as games need something to compensate for this, or if not for a good story, as in the case for the latest Deus Ex game according to a review I've read, then good gameplay. The review for this game in TrustedReviews gained a three star rating.

Linus' earrings suit him

Please check out this thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/659360-saints-row-2s-features/

Rizen and Vehga 2017

Low risk and people buying them up like hotcakes.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

1 minute ago, Scruffy90 said:

Low risk and people buying them up like hotcakes.

I feel like that with today's hardware, linear gameplay should be dead, and replayability should be a key focus. Then again, there is that profit incentive, quantity over quality, just like how phone companies sell new phones and don't support them for longer than two years.

Linus' earrings suit him

Please check out this thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/659360-saints-row-2s-features/

Rizen and Vehga 2017

This reminds me of this

AW6kK.png

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Just now, divided_throwaway said:

I feel like that with today's hardware, linear gameplay should be dead, and replayability should be a key focus. Then again, there is that profit incentive, quantity over quality, just like how phone companies sell new phones and don't support them for longer than two years.

There no financial incentive for publishers to back a game that has high replayablity or that cant selling a bunch of dlc that amounts to half the game at almost full price of said game.

32 minutes ago, divided_throwaway said:

They may or may be not sandbox, but they have a rather linear gameplay to them. For instance, Fallout 4 has a semi-linear gameplay, with which games progress according to some story. A processor like the FX 6300 can only run it at something like 30 to 40 FPS, off the top of my head. In contrast, games like CS:GO doesn't have a story-based gameplay, but can be played ad infinitum due to its simplicity. I think GTAO fits into this category as well, and I'd say it falls under the "mid-range" category for system requirements and games. I'm pretty sure that No Man's Sky, if the omissions weren't made, would have been a high-end game that wasn't so linear. Arma 3 just has poor optimisation, but has decent replayability in multiplayer from what I've briefly seen.

This can be a dealbreaker, as games need something to compensate for this, or if not for a good story, as in the case for the latest Deus Ex game according to a review I've read, then good gameplay. The review for this game in TrustedReviews gained a three star rating.

Cos you're comparing single player games and multiplayer games? Not even the same thing.  MP has no story except those you make for yourself. Not sure why you're even comparing totally different game modes made for totally different audiences.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Because many Gamers buy every half assed shit these Days.  Its in our Hands.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I don't think linearity, in itself, has to be a bad thing. The linear style can be used to enable some incredible story telling if done correctly. Generally speaking a linear game nowadays should be short, cheap and heavily story driven. 

I do agree too much is being stripped out of lots of games to make them more 'accessible' and as a result more than a few feel too linear. Instead of trying to make games for certain genres too many publishers want their games to appeal to as wide a group as possible. So you see series such as Fallout change drastically or Mass Effects evolution from RPG to cover shooter etc.

5950 - 3090 - 32gb - Aorus FV43U - Steam Deck - Fuji xPro 3 - Olympus OM1 n

6 minutes ago, Soundsystem90 said:

You only need 1 game, Counter Strike.

Lol, some of us moved on from that at Source or 1.6. I do agree though it is the pinnacle, no other shooter ever came close IMO.

5950 - 3090 - 32gb - Aorus FV43U - Steam Deck - Fuji xPro 3 - Olympus OM1 n

Why spend years developing game with long story when you can pump out 5h action packs for $60 every years and noobs still buy it. Even when you don't update game engine. And have multiplayer which has used same (mimic) style since first edition.

Apart from Activision, I don't know, maybe they want to be more CoDlike.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv