Getting a new body, need guidance

Swndlr

Hi guys, so Im selling my T6i soon along with the one crop lens I have aside from my 50 1.8 and Im eyeing either a 6D or a 5D MKII and I dont know what to go with. Money is very important and a big part of the equation, so keep that in mind when giving advice.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Do you want crop or full frame?

Just joined the forum? Read this:

A Quick Guide To Get Started

Need Help Doing Something? Read this:

Guides & Tutorials Catalog

Need a New SSD? Read this:

Droidbot's SATA3 SSD Tier List

Need a New PSU? Read this:

PSU Tier List

In the mood for some memes? Look at these:

Linus Memes

Want to know my PC Specs and Peripherals?

Spoiler

CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2609 v3     Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3      RAM - 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4      GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 SC      

Case - Inwin 103       Storage - HyperX Savage 240gb SSD      PSU - 550W Enermax NAXN      Display(s) - 2x Lenovo L27i-28, Dell 24"      Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum     Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed      Mouse - Logitech G900      Sound - Audio Technica ATH-M50x     Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Join the LTT F@H Team!

You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

Start now: Folding@Home Install Guide and Links

Just now, adams said:

Do you want crop or full frame?

Obviously full frame... did you read my post?

I wouldnt sell my crop to get another crop

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Just now, Swndlr said:

There are much better crop sensor cameras, like the 80D

PSU Tier List

Linus Memes

Spoiler

CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2609 v3     Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3      RAM - 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4      GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 SC      

Case - Inwin 103       Storage - HyperX Savage 240gb SSD      PSU - 550W Enermax NAXN      Display(s) - 2x Lenovo L27i-28, Dell 24"      Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum     Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed      Mouse - Logitech G900      Sound - Audio Technica ATH-M50x     Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Join the LTT F@H Team!

You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

What features do want most? (e.g. 4k video, touchscreen, etc.)

PSU Tier List

Linus Memes

Spoiler

Join the LTT F@H Team!

1 minute ago, adams said:

There are much better crop sensor cameras, like the 80D

I dont do any video, I knot the 70 and 80D are good video DSLR's...

I only do photography, no videography. Srry should have mentioned that.

1 minute ago, Swndlr said:

I dont do any video, I knot the 70 and 80D are good video DSLR's...

I only do photography, no videography. Srry should have mentioned that.

Cool, what features are most important to you?

PSU Tier List

Linus Memes

Spoiler

Join the LTT F@H Team!

Just now, adams said:

Cool, what features are most important to you?

Well, full frame obviously. I like the 6D and 5D2 because they both look like really good full frame bodies that I can get for a good price that have enough features. Im not too nitpicky to be honest.

My main question was whether the 6D or the 5D2 are better for their respective used prices I could likely find them for.

I would recommend the 6D, it is cheaper and is overall a better camera

PSU Tier List

Linus Memes

Spoiler

Join the LTT F@H Team!

I would recommend the 6D, it is cheaper and is overall a better camera

Its newer I believe, right?

If so why would it be cheaper?

PSU Tier List

Linus Memes

Spoiler

Join the LTT F@H Team!

Very interesting, I guess Ill be looking into getting a 6D. Thanks :D

I think I should be able to get like ~$500 for my T6i, think so? Really low (VERY low) shutter count, no wear at all since I had to get it replaced at B&H for free luckily enough, and battery, charger, and original box included?

Very interesting, I guess Ill be looking into getting a 6D. Thanks :D

I think I should be able to get like ~$500 for my T6i, think so? Really low (VERY low) shutter count, no wear at all since I had to get it replaced at B&H for free luckily enough, and battery, charger, and original box included?

I think that a $500-$600 would be the right price for your camera

PSU Tier List

Linus Memes

Spoiler

Join the LTT F@H Team!

2 minutes ago, adams said:

I think that a $500-$600 would be the right price for your camera

I also have an Tokina 11-16 2.8, should be able to get back a good amount of my investment on that. Idk if I should include it with body or not.

I also have an Tokina 11-16 2.8, should be able to get back a good amount of my investment on that. Idk if I should include it with body or not.

I would sell it for $300 by itself or $850 with the body

PSU Tier List

Linus Memes

Spoiler

Join the LTT F@H Team!

Just now, adams said:

I would sell it for $300 by itself or $850 with the body

Ill look into it :) Hopefully Ill be able to get it all sold in the next week or two and have a nice full frame body before I know it ^_^

Ill look into it :) Hopefully Ill be able to get it all sold in the next week or two and have a nice full frame body before I know it ^_^

great!

PSU Tier List

Linus Memes

Spoiler

Join the LTT F@H Team!

2 hours ago, Swndlr said:

Hi guys, so Im selling my T6i soon along with the one crop lens I have aside from my 50 1.8 and Im eyeing either a 6D or a 5D MKII and I dont know what to go with. Money is very important and a big part of the equation, so keep that in mind when giving advice.

Are you buying the 6D second hand?  Between the 6D and 5D mark II, the 6D would likely be the better choice for you and you've already made your decision.

FYI, there are rumors about a 6D mark II being announced next year, perhaps you'll get a better deal on a 6D then.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

2 hours ago, Swndlr said:

the 50mm f1.8 lens has a full frame mount for canon lenses, you might consider keeping it.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Since you only have a single, very cheap, full frame lens, you're not locked in the Canon system. Your choices in entry level full frame are Canon 6D (as you've been told here, it's probably better for you than the 5Dm2), Nikon D610 and Sony A7/A7ii.

Some pointers to help your decision:

• the Sony lens ecosystem has some very good lenses, but it's a lot less versatile and those very good lenses aren't cheap;
  • the Sony and Nikon (Sony again) sensors are technically superior to the one in the Canon 6D;
  • the Canon 6D has arguably the best shooting ergonomics of the bunch and you're used to the menu system already.

What kind of subject do you favour? Do you have specific needs (better quality at high iso, high dynamic range at base iso for landscape, good AF tracking, etc.)?

6 hours ago, Bsmith said:

the 50mm f1.8 lens has a full frame mount for canon lenses, you might consider keeping it.

Yes ! :D I didnt plan on selling it to begin with, just my 11-16 crop lens.

3 hours ago, frostburg said:

Since you only have a single, very cheap, full frame lens, you're not locked in the Canon system. Your choices in entry level full frame are Canon 6D (as you've been told here, it's probably better for you than the 5Dm2), Nikon D610 and Sony A7/A7ii.

Some pointers to help your decision:

• the Sony lens ecosystem has some very good lenses, but it's a lot less versatile and those very good lenses aren't cheap;
  • the Sony and Nikon (Sony again) sensors are technically superior to the one in the Canon 6D;
  • the Canon 6D has arguably the best shooting ergonomics of the bunch and you're used to the menu system already.

What kind of subject do you favour? Do you have specific needs (better quality at high iso, high dynamic range at base iso for landscape, good AF tracking, etc.)?

For me, better quality at higher ISO's is rather important, in which I know some of the Sony sensors are very good at if I remember correctly. Im mainly just looking to get out of crop and into full frame, so I dont need every bell and whistle out there I suppose.

7 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Are you buying the 6D second hand?  Between the 6D and 5D mark II, the 6D would likely be the better choice for you and you've already made your decision.

FYI, there are rumors about a 6D mark II being announced next year, perhaps you'll get a better deal on a 6D then.

Yes, Id likely be buying off of eBay or Craigslist :)

11 minutes ago, Swndlr said:

For me, better quality at higher ISO's is rather important, in which I know some of the Sony sensors are very good at if I remember correctly. Im mainly just looking to get out of crop and into full frame, so I dont need every bell and whistle out there I suppose.

The Sony sensors of that vintage (those are all "old" cameras by now) have most of their advantage in dynamic range (especially at low iso), high iso performance is actually quite similar between these cameras. In terms of lenses, what would you like to add to your current 50/1.8?

12 minutes ago, frostburg said:

The Sony sensors of that vintage (those are all "old" cameras by now) have most of their advantage in dynamic range (especially at low iso), high iso performance is actually quite similar between these cameras. In terms of lenses, what would you like to add to your current 50/1.8?

Probably just any general wide angle zoom lens, dont know if I have the money to spend on L glass yet, but maybe one day :P