Canon T5i or Nikon D5200?

I'm upgrading my Camera + audio setup, and i have a $1000 budget. I've pretty much decided on the RODE VideoMic Pro, so so i have 800 left over for a DSLR. after much research, ive narrowed it down to the Nikon D5200 or the Canon T5i, but i cant decide between the two. the Nikon has a 24.2 mp sensor vs. the 18 mp one on the canon, however the T5i comes with a much sharper kit lens, a touchscreen and better auto-focus....

which one should i get? or maybe a completely different camera + Mic combo?

AMD FX 8350 8-Core CPU (Stock 4GHz) | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | (Rev. 4.0) | 8GB 1600MHz HyperX Fury | AMD R9 270 (MSI Gaming OC Edition) | NZXT H440 (White) | Kingston 120GB SSDnow V300 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB (7200 RPM) | Corsair RM750m 750w Fully Modular Power Supply

Dell 23.6-Inch 1080p 60hz IPS Display | Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G502 Proteus Core | iSymphony Wireless Stereo Speakers | Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

what is the setup going to be used for?

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

from what i know the rebel series are extremely well known

also autofocus works while making a video which from what i heard is uncommon in DSLRs

even though im a noob i believe when it comes to video T5i is the winner

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

mostly casual video (sports, outdoor, birthdays, etc.) but my brother plays the cello (hes REALLY good) and my current camcorder's video and audio just dont cut it, so my dad wanted something better that we could send to relatives  and put on youtube and such. ill also be using it for my channel (hardware unboxings and reviews).

AMD FX 8350 8-Core CPU (Stock 4GHz) | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | (Rev. 4.0) | 8GB 1600MHz HyperX Fury | AMD R9 270 (MSI Gaming OC Edition) | NZXT H440 (White) | Kingston 120GB SSDnow V300 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB (7200 RPM) | Corsair RM750m 750w Fully Modular Power Supply

Dell 23.6-Inch 1080p 60hz IPS Display | Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G502 Proteus Core | iSymphony Wireless Stereo Speakers | Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I would go with the cannon, but not too much of a difference, they are both great

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

from what i know the rebel series are extremely well known

also autofocus works while making a video which from what i heard is uncommon in DSLRs

even though im a noob i believe when it comes to video T5i is the winner

I would go with the cannon, but not too much of a difference, they are both great

yeah im probably gonna get the Canon, i think the touchscreen, autofocus and better lens outweigh the better sensor on the nikon.

You are solid on the mic choice.

The general consensus is; Canon for video, Nikon for photo. 

I love my Canon 600d, takes good quality pictures and thanks to it's price I could get some good glass. Always invest in good glass.

I would recommend the T5i (700d) wholeheartedly. With your first lens choice's being the Canon 50mm F/1.8, Canon 50mm F/1.4 as an upgrade then the 17-40 F/4 L. Others are availible but they are tack sharp lenses and brilliant for video.

PS. this should really be in the "Photo/Video", granted its right at the bottom of the page. But still. :)

Get the t5i put some good glass on it, nikon is having some issues with focusing right now 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Just curious, can you control/change the apreture while shooting video or are you locked in the apreature setting once it is selected?  Sorry to hi-jack....

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

Just curious, can you control/change the apreture while shooting video or are you locked in the apreature setting once it is selected?  Sorry to hi-jack....

I think you are locked in aperture 

#KilledMyWife 

yeah im probably gonna get the Canon, i think the touchscreen, autofocus and better lens outweigh the better sensor on the nikon.

The autofocus on the T5i is NOT better than on the Nikon D5200, also, the kit lenses are basically the same, they're all equally sharp.

Get the t5i put some good glass on it, nikon is having some issues with focusing right now 

How do you figure that Nikon is having focusing issues? 

OP: Why don't you compare to the D5300?

The reason I say this is because the D5200 was made when the T4i was released.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

The autofocus on the T5i is NOT better than on the Nikon D5200, also, the kit lenses are basically the same, they're all equally sharp.

How do you figure that Nikon is having focusing issues? 

OP: Why don't you compare to the D5300?

The reason I say this is because the D5200 was made when the T4i was released.

a few people have stated that with certain lenses on the 5200 you get back focus 

#KilledMyWife 

a few people have stated that with certain lenses on the 5200 you get back focus

That will happen with any camera, back focus is an auto focus tunning issue that can result with a D3200 to a 1Dx

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I would personally avoid anything from Canon like the plague until you're talking 5D, especially if you're not already invested into an ecosystem, like you. There are VASTLY better appointed options from other manufacturers like Sony, Nikon and Pentax and Olympus at each pricepoint, with perhaps the only exception going to the 70D for it's exceptional AF in video mode. At your pricepoint and needs a Sony's a65 is a better option than the Canon or the Nikon. An even better route would be to get Pentax's K30 and spend the saved money on better lenses. If you're determined between the Nikon or the Canon go for the Nikon. Image quality should always be a top priority, and additionally Nikon do noise control so damn well.

I would personally avoid anything from Canon like the plague until you're talking 5D, especially if you're not already invested into an ecosystem, like you. There are VASTLY better appointed options from other manufacturers like Sony, Nikon and Pentax and Olympus at each pricepoint, with perhaps the only exception going to the 70D for it's exceptional AF in video mode. At your pricepoint and needs a Sony's a65 is a better option than the Canon or the Nikon. An even better route would be to get Pentax's K30 and spend the saved money on better lenses. If you're determined between the Nikon or the Canon go for the Nikon. Image quality should always be a top priority, and additionally Nikon do noise control so damn well.

Noooooo you're just making it harder to decide! >:o

Just kidding, thanks for the advice, will look at the other options