[Rumour] Kaby Lake-X and Skylake-X being readied

TheRandomness

7b57a9fdcf79-810x781.jpg

You have to love watermarks.

It seems that the LGA2011 family is nearing the end of it’s life, Intel is readying a replacement – LGA2066. The extra 55 pins will be there to support the X-Series “Basin Falls” platform, consisting of Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X, and new chipset based on Intel’s 200 series. As is typical for Intel’s HEDT platform (High End Desktop), the processors will be devoid of integrated graphics, but will include cores in their multiples (4,6,8 and 10 to be exact), more PCI-E lanes and higher memory bandwidth.

At least it's another 55 pins and not just 1 9_9

Kaby Lake-X will launch as a quadcore only SKU, with a dual channel memory bus. This SKU also has less PCI-E lanes, specifically 16 lanes, so if a Kaby Lake-X CPU is installed in a LGA2066 motherboard, some of the slots may not function  – this is the case for both PCI-E slots and RAM slots due to the dual channel architecture. This CPU will come in around 112 Watts, and support up to DDR4-2666.

I cannot see the point of a quad core on the Basin Falls platform, I mean, sure, better power delivery and more RAM, but you could just get an i5-7600k and probably get better performance. But there are the advantages of a fun upgrade path... so I guess it'll be up to the user.

Interestingly, the chipset will have a much wider downstream PCIe lane budget than what we’re used to seeing on Intel PCH chips for the past several generations – it offers a whopping 22 PCI-Express Gen 3.0 downstream lanes. This could prove useful in driving bandwidth-hungry onboard devices such as Thunderbolt controllers, multiple PCI-Express SSDs, etc.

Intel plans to launch the Core i7 “Skylake-X” processors  as early as Q3-2017 (July-September 2017).

With the chipset alone featuring 22 PCIe 3.0 lanes, I can expect a few people to go RAID 0 with 3 PCIe SSDs. Because why not?

74d449de48e1.jpg

I think that there might be marginal improvements in terms of actual performance but I'm more curious of the quad core on X299 or whatever... 

Also, first tech news post, please tell me how bad it is :D

Source: https://smallformfactor.net/news/intels-next-hedt-platform-basin-falls-readied

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Still DDR4, lower upgrade cost :D

Magical Pineapples

It's scale-up vs. scale-out design. Some apps just do not benefit from more cores, but they do benefit from higher clocks.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

what's the point of kaby lake-x if it only has 16 lanes? If that's case then it's just a regular kaby lake quad core with no iGPU and for more money, although to be fair you do get more RAM and connectivity options

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

15 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

what's the point of kaby lake-x if it only has 16 lanes? If that's case then it's just a regular kaby lake quad core with no iGPU and for more money, although to be fair you do get more RAM and connectivity options

Probably for overclocking people and maybe to make a good upgrade path whilst not spending too much up front?

46 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

It's scale-up vs. scale-out design. Some apps just do not benefit from more cores, but they do benefit from higher clocks.

What about more cores AND more clocks? ?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

22 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

-snip-

Good luck trying to fit that in any reasonable TDP, and no AMD, 220W is not a reasonable TDP :D

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Do we know more about the release date? I am planning to build a pc for my sister soon.

18 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Do we know more about the release date? I am planning to build a pc for my sister soon.

Third quarter of 2017 (it's said close to the bottom of the OP c:)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

Probably for overclocking people and maybe to make a good upgrade path whilst not spending too much up front?

49 minutes ago, LucidMew said:

Good luck trying to fit that in any reasonable TDP, and no AMD, 220W is not a reasonable TDP :D

Well, IBM did fit 12 cores with 96 threads at 4.7GHz in a 250W TDP :P with 128MB of eDRAM L4 cache on Power 8 using the 22nm FDSOI process.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

34 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Early Q1 2017 is the best we know.

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

Early Q1 2017 is the best we know.

It says in the OP Q3 2017 you know :P

5 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Well, IBM did fit 12 cores with 96 threads at 4.7GHz in a 250W TDP :P with 128MB of eDRAM L4 cache on Power 8 using the 22nm FDSOI process.

*sharp crackling sounds*

You hear that? That's the sound of Power 8 series burning. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

It says in the OP Q3 2017 you know :P

*sharp crackling sounds*

You hear that? That's the sound of Power 8 series burning. 

It's wrong. We know Kaby Lake is due out very soon, and Skylake-X is now 8 months out from Broadwell-E. 9-10 months is the standard release schedule for Intel.

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

It's wrong. We know Kaby Lake is due out very soon, and Skylake-X is now 8 months out from Broadwell-E. 9-10 months is the standard release schedule for Intel.

Meh. Maybe they have some manufacturing issues? It's still a rumour after all... everything is subject to change c:

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Meh. Maybe they have some manufacturing issues? It's still a rumour after all... everything is subject to change c:

On the 3rd 14nm generation? No.

36 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Third quarter of 2017 (it's said close to the bottom of the OP c:)

Thanks and sirry i was in hurry

32 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

1) it's Power, not x86(-64)

2) I can't find any reference to a 12 core 4.7ghz, only a 12 core 3.52ghz power8, although I did find a 4.7ghz dual core power6 from back in like 2009 era

3) the eDRAM is on a separate chip, so it's not really part of the CPU when you can mix and match however many memory controllers you want for a given CPU.

the only thing that I can find that says anything near the 12 core 250W 4.7GHz chip, is a two and a half year article and that is filled with so many hopefully's and possibility's that it's hard to take it seriously 

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

51 minutes ago, LucidMew said:

1) it's Power, not x86(-64)

2) I can't find any reference to a 12 core 4.7ghz, only a 12 core 3.52ghz power8, although I did find a 4.7ghz dual core power6 from back in like 2009 era

3) the eDRAM is on a separate chip, so it's not really part of the CPU when you can mix and match however many memory controllers you want for a given CPU.

the only thing that I can find that says anything near the 12 core 250W 4.7GHz chip, is a two and a half year article and that is filled with so many hopefully's and possibility's that it's hard to take it seriously 

Took me a while to hunt it back down too. IBM is not good about having specs listed in the open. The E880 model is a 12-core 4.35-4.7GHz processor. In the most advanced version of the node, you can have 16 of these processors hooked up with a high speed fabric alongside up to 32 NVLink Teslas.

Also, the L3 cache is 96MB of eDRAM. Then there is an off-chip 128MB in addition. We were both partly correct.