3.5mm Jack vs 6.35mm Jack Outputs - Is there a difference?

tomoki

Hi Everyone,

Just curious but my pair of headphones have a 6.35mm jack by default and it came along with a 3.5mm converter/adapter that I use all the time. I was looking up DACs and saw 6.35mm as an option. Is there a difference in terms of output for audio quality ? Does it matter? Just wondering if anyone out there would know because I genuinely have no idea what a 6.35mm jack is for and why anyone would need it for a pair of headphones. Please enlighten my scrubby-ness!

It won't make a noticeable difference. 6.35mm is older and looks nicer though. 6.35mm is used for audio equipment and you will find it on pretty much every amplifier.

1/4" is more durable and has more contact surface than 1/8".

Does it sound different? I've never heard any report of that.

15 minutes ago, D148xZ said:

It won't make a noticeable difference. 6.35mm is older and looks nicer though. 6.35mm is used for audio equipment and you will find it on pretty much every amplifier.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

1/4" is more durable and has more contact surface than 1/8".

Does it sound different? I've never heard any report of that.

So... it's safe to say there's only the physical plug difference in size, durability and appearance. There's no actual performance benefits of one over the other. 

1 minute ago, tomoki said:

So... it's safe to say there's only the physical plug difference in size, durability and appearance. There's no actual performance benefits of one over the other. 

You are correct

2 minutes ago, tomoki said:

Basically....yeaaaa

1 minute ago, SSL said:

1/4" is more durable and has more contact surface than 1/8"

1 minute ago, tomoki said:

Pretty much, my live mixer I wouldn't dream of using 3.5 crap it breaks to easily. But then again patch bays in studio are all bantam. There is a lower impedance and less signal loss with 1/4" but you'd need a machine to measure let alone 'notice' a difference

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige