4k video with slow internet

My gf and her family bought a 4K tv, just because... despite they dont have anything to watch in 4k... other than youtube, and my netflix account.  However, the TV Model they ended up buy doesn't even support 4K streaming content built in, (you leave for 2 weeks.... and this happens.... =_=...)

So, i wanted to look into getting a Roku, Chromecast 4k, or w/e streaming device out there.  

The problem is, they have slow internet, 15mb/s download.  Its a steady 15, but from what i read, you need 25mb/s roughly to stream 4k.  Anyways, without increasing internet speeds, as a last resort, can these streaming devices still stream 4k content, despite the slower speeds?  As in, say for a netflix movie, you let it pause for a while, to let it download, and then watch it?  

You would need to download the entire movie which would take like half a day and then watch it.

Or you can just watch 1080p and have it upscaled.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, never_here said:

My gf and her family bought a 4K tv, just because... despite they dont have anything to watch in 4k... other than youtube, and my netflix account.  However, the TV Model they ended up buy doesn't even support 4K streaming content built in, (you leave for 2 weeks.... and this happens.... =_=...)

So, i wanted to look into getting a Roku, Chromecast 4k, or w/e streaming device out there.  

The problem is, they have slow internet, 15mb/s download.  Its a steady 15, but from what i read, you need 25mb/s roughly to stream 4k.  Anyways, without increasing internet speeds, as a last resort, can these streaming devices still stream 4k content, despite the slower speeds?  As in, say for a netflix movie, you let it pause for a while, to let it download, and then watch it?  

they are better of not getting streaming stuff integrated. people always have problems with the firmware breaking or the apps not being updated rendering the extra price you payed for it useless. you can get cheap 4k streaming boxes of aliexpress that just run android, or just use a chromecast 4k, probably the most compatible of all. but then again the network speed sucks so they won't be able to and netflix doesn't allow saving the movie etc. they could get youtube red though.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

My guess is no, because most streaming services only buffer say like a minute of the video at most. Netflix is also designed to automatically adjust the quality of the video based on the quality of the connection.

damns, ic, so, their 4k TV is useless unless they get faster internet, or buy 4k BR player and 4k movies, fun stuff... =_=

just went online and noticed 4k BR movies cost more too!?  just why!!!!

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

You would need to download the entire movie which would take like half a day and then watch it.

Or you can just watch 1080p and have it upscaled.

well, unfortunately they bought a low end 4k TV, doesn't really have any features other than built in chromecast... not even built in 4k chromecast either, so dumb.

ps, yous message me faster than i can respond!!! thanks though

1 minute ago, tlink said:

they are better of not getting streaming stuff integrated. people always have problems with the firmware breaking or the apps not being updated rendering the extra price you payed for it useless.

oh, icic, true, my own parent's samsung smart crap doesn't work all that well anyways.  But considering this toshiba Tv had a built in chromecast, they might as well built in the 4k version, lol.    Any preference on 4k devices in general though?  I might increase the speeds later on considering.