GTX 770 - is 2GB enough?

Camsung

Is 2GB enough video memory for 1080p? I've looked at lots of benchmarks and the smaller frame buffer on the 770 does not seem to make it perform any worse than the 7970 and R9 280X, even at high resolutions (in fact the 770 even beats them in some benchmarks). Does this mean that 2GB is enough, even for future titles?

yes

CPU: i5 3570K @4.5GHz    GPU: R9 290   MOBO: ASUS p8z77-v  RAM: 8Gb corsair vengence   CASE: ARC MIDI  PSU: XFX pro 550W  HDD: 2tb segate baracuda

1080p barely hits over a gig in most games my 7770 runs 1080p fine you'll be good :)

Why is everyone making such a big fuss about having 3GB+ then? Seems kind of ridiculous to me

yes it will work just fine having more video memory does not increase performance in any way

$$金Trill金$$

1080p barely hits over a gig in most games my 7770 runs 1080p fine you'll be good :)

while thats true for most games bf4 made my 2gb cards on both my laptop and desktop use at least 1.5gb of vRam its fine for now but in the future it will start to use more.

No. In Crysis 3 VRAM usage is over 2GB and that game dictates how other games should look next year. Also 1080p is being pushed to low-end category and with 4K coming as the new high-end I can smell 1440p, the current high-end replacing 1080p, in that resolution 2GB ain't gonna cut it in any game.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

No. In Crysis 3 VRAM usage is over 2GB and that game dictates how other games should look next year. Also 1080p is being pushed to low-end category and with 4K coming as the new high-end I can smell 1440p, the current high-end replacing 1080p, in that resolution 2GB ain't gonna cut it in any game.

Why is it when I say most people see all.

So if I were to  have to choose between a 7970 and GTX 770, should I go for the 7970 because of the 1GB of extra RAM?

I don't have Crysis 3 yet but when i have, I'll test it. I'm pretty sure it doesn't need even close to 2 gigs. 1920x1200

who cares...

So GTX 770 vs 7970 for 1080p?? 2GB vs 3GB of VRAM essentially

I don't have Crysis 3 yet but when i have, I'll test it. I'm pretty sure it doesn't need even close to 2 gigs. 1920x1200

Tests say it hit 2.2GB at max settings.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Why is it when I say most people see all.

I don't understand what are you trying to say.

I don't understand what are you trying to say.

I said most games don't hit over a gig bf and crysis aren't most games

I said most games don't hit over a gig bf and crysis aren't most games

Crysis and Battlefield set the next year trend for a couple of years now.

I have a GTX770 2GB with a 1440p monitor and I'm happy.

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

it does make a difference. some times its noticeable and some times it not.

specially with high resolution textures and such more than 1GB VRAM is a Must for most modern games at 1080p or above. 

having even more does help if you are going to use a even higher resolution like 2560x1440 or multi-Display.

then you are wrong. even BF3 uses more than 1GB at 1080p. sooo.. yaaaaa.....

So if I were to  have to choose between a 7970 and GTX 770, should I go for the 7970 because of the 1GB of extra RAM?

yes because it has more RAM and because it a lot more cheap.

So GTX 770 vs 7970 for 1080p?? 2GB vs 3GB of VRAM essentially

I would go with the 7970 because it has more vram. The coolers that I would recommend would be the MSI Twin Frozr 3/4 / HIS IceQ X2 / Sapphire Dual-X/ Vapor-X.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Why is everyone making such a big fuss about having 3GB+ then? Seems kind of ridiculous to me

coz ppl r dumb lol, they think you need much more than you actually do

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

my 770 has never used over 1.3g or so, albeit I haven't tried Crysis 3.

Even heavily modded Skyrim handles really well.

The extra GB will only help if you're going to go 4K, which IMO is not worth it at the moment, monitors are all upwards of $200, and there isn't really any single GPU that can run at 4K reasonably well.

I'm the one who overclocks.

CPU: i5 2500k w/CM Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OC'd@4.2GHz RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB  MOBO: Intel Burrage DP67BG GPU: MSI GTX770 Twin Frozr 2GB HDD: 2x Seagate 2TB Barracuda PSU: Gigabyte ODIN 550W

So if I were to choose a 7970, would the ASUS triple slot one be good? It's pretty cheap on NCIX right now and is the only one with a backplate

then you are wrong. even BF3 uses more than 1GB at 1080p. sooo.. yaaaaa.....

Confirmed. I played 5 mins of BF3 and used 1.5 GB VRAM. So vram is actually a big deal. I mean wtf, BF3 takes up 3/4 of all of my vram?! That game is old! How the heck are we supposed to play games like BF4 on ultra?! I didn't spend 300+€ on a card to turn the details down. The 770 is a very new card. wtf!?

who cares...

Confirmed. I played 5 mins of BF3 and used 1.5 GB VRAM. So vram is actually a big deal. I mean wtf, BF3 takes up 3/4 of all of my vram?! That game is old! How the heck are we supposed to play games like BF4 on ultra?! I didn't spend 300+€ on a card to turn the details down. The 770 is a very new card. wtf!?

There is a 4gb version of the card..

Looking for a dutch gaming clan? http://fapp-crew.nl/