AF or SP

Dogsparkster1

I have a HAF 912 and was wondering exactly what 120mm fans I should go for AF or SP .

I am planning on taking out the removable HDD cage that is in there an only going to have one HDD and wondering what kind of fans to put where in this case exactly.

the front of the case is vented with holes so I can see the led fans as that is what I am looking for are corsair SP or AF,if not corsair then what other fans could I get that are either type?

I know I should have have a SP fan on my heatsink but mainly wondering about the top and front and back.

It's never bad to put SP fans every where. They have good airflow, and you can always reuse them for heatsinks or radiators if needed.

More info on the ML fans: they are Static Pressure optimized but also have a larger and higher operating RPM range and also very little noise other than the noise of the air itself due to the levitation bearing.

The ML fans a bit expensive I'm looking for more like 15 dollars or less and in new egg they have the AF twin pack for 18 dollars and a similar pack with SP.

so it looks like SP is my best choice then, it will keep everything cool at least in the range I want it?

13 minutes ago, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

It's never bad to put SP fans every where. They have good airflow, and you can always reuse them for heatsinks or radiators if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KXXRCK0/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1478727498&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX280_SY350_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=corsair+sp+120

So this would be good?

On 11/9/2016 at 1:37 PM, Dogsparkster1 said:

The ML fans a bit expensive I'm looking for more like 15 dollars or less and in new egg they have the AF twin pack for 18 dollars and a similar pack with SP.

so it looks like SP is my best choice then, it will keep everything cool at least in the range I want it?

Are you shopping in the US? For what reason are you getting more fans?

For a nonrestrictive case like the HAF 912, AF-oriented fans will perform better and usually be quieter. 

Which fans are you looking at exactly? AF120 QE's are pretty good but the price you're mentioning makes it seem as if you are looking at the LED variants which are substantially worse. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Depends if your fans don't have much infront of them like hdd bays, ect. Than airflow is good for getting as much air through your case as fast a possible. But if you have a compact case like a mini itx or micro atx case then static pressure fans are good because they run at a slower speed but get more air through small spaces than airflow fans. Also if you can get a positive air pressure by putting 2 120mm, 140mm fans at the front and maybe 1 at the back and spits for air to seep out cracks are always good. Hope this helps you understand. :)

On 11/11/2016 at 1:31 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Are you shopping in the US? For what reason are you getting more fans?

For a nonrestrictive case like the HAF 912, AF-oriented fans will perform better and usually be quieter. 

Which fans are you looking at exactly? AF120 QE's are pretty good but the price you're mentioning makes it seem as if you are looking at the LED variants which are substantially worse. 

sorry for very late reply i was having troubles with some stuff at school, i just dont have the money for fans that cost 15 dollars or more i have 20 dollars and looking at the two pack, and want something to see in the front of my case like LED's i am in the US, and i am going to be moving the front fan in the case to side this is what the front of my case looks like and i hear different things saying put SP in the front like or AF since it is for my case,http://imgur.com/OUNOsT0.

really just looking for something that will keep my case cool a bit to the point where it isnt over heating and i will upgrade to ML fans later once everything is sorted and i figure everything out such as what the best thing to do is as i want the fans going full speed so they will be hooked up to the power supply not the motherboard

On 11/12/2016 at 6:43 PM, kayotics said:

Depends if your fans don't have much infront of them like hdd bays, ect. Than airflow is good for getting as much air through your case as fast a possible. But if you have a compact case like a mini itx or micro atx case then static pressure fans are good because they run at a slower speed but get more air through small spaces than airflow fans. Also if you can get a positive air pressure by putting 2 120mm, 140mm fans at the front and maybe 1 at the back and spits for air to seep out cracks are always good. Hope this helps you understand. :)

http://imgur.com/OUNOsT0 this is what the front of the case looks like. i have the removable drive cage removed as i wil only have one HDD

2 minutes ago, Dogsparkster1 said:

sorry for very late reply i was having troubles with some stuff at school, i just dont have the money for fans that cost 15 dollars or more i have 20 dollars and looking at the two pack, and want something to see in the front of my case like LED's i am in the US, and i am going to be moving the front fan in the case to side this is what the front of my case looks like and i hear different things saying put SP in the front like or AF since it is for my case,http://imgur.com/OUNOsT0.

really just looking for something that will keep my case cool a bit to the point where it isnt over heating and i will upgrade to ML fans later once everything is sorted and i figure everything out such as what the best thing to do is as i want the fans going full speed so they will be hooked up to the power supply not the motherboard

It's a waste of money to buy fans just to replace them with more expensive ones later.

What are your specs and current temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

http://imgur.com/OUNOsT0  this is what the front of my case looks like will the corsair AF120's work for something like this doesn't seem very restrictive just making sure before i buy SP or AF.

Will the corsair LED fans work decently until i decide to get ML fans? and how do the AF work for intake or are they better for exhaust? and dont really wan to spend anymore than about $10 USD per fan as there is a two pack for $18 USD here online. if anyone has had experience with these fans are they halfway decent at least? if not then i will just get coolermaster sickleflow

2 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

http://imgur.com/OUNOsT0  this is what the front of my case looks like will the corsair AF120's work for something like this doesn't seem very restrictive just making sure before i buy SP or AF.

Will the corsair LED fans work decently until i decide to get ML fans? and how do the AF work for intake or are they better for exhaust? and dont really wan to spend anymore than about $10 USD per fan as there is a two pack for $18 USD here online. if anyone has had experience with these fans are they halfway decent at least? if not then i will just get coolermaster sickleflow

Personally I would go with static pressure oriented fans, since there is a drive cage in the way, the Corsair SP quiet editions are not bad, some other good ones would the fractal Design Venturi's. 

we

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

Personally I would go with static pressure oriented fans, since there is a drive cage in the way, the Corsair SP quiet editions are not bad, some other good ones would the fractal Design Venturi's. 

well i could go with AF on the top one and SP on the bottom one considering there is no drive age in the way of the top one 

2 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

we

well i could go with AF on the top one and SP on the bottom one considering there is no drive age in the way of the top one 

If there are fine meshed air filters though that can add up, unless the case has no metal mesh or filtering at all I usually always go with pressure fans for everything. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

If there are fine meshed air filters though that can add up, unless the case has no metal mesh or filtering at all I usually always go with pressure fans for everything. 

i included a picture if you want ot look at that again to make sure about the mesh thing 

1 hour ago, Dogsparkster1 said:

http://imgur.com/OUNOsT0 this is what the front of the case looks like. i have the removable drive cage removed as i wil only have one HDD

Yeah that will be fine atleast one of them are open u can get af fans but I would recomend sp fans they work better but I think are louder, it's your choice