Can you make a virtual CPU combined of all cores

I don't do much in the field of making virtual systems and when I do it usually for low end Linux servers.

But I had an idea and am wondering if it's possible.

My current rig I use for gaming till I get the cash to build something better has a Xeon 1650 6 core 12 thread CPU running at 3.20 Ghz.

most video games can only use 4 cores/threads. So the faster your core speed is, the better it is for these games.

Now this is the question, can you make a virtual machine and tell it's CPU to act as a 4 core CPU but use 6 or 5 cores from the physical CPU. So that way the virtual CPU would have a speed of say 4.80 GHz per core making video games limited to 4 core/threads able to use more by tricking them into using a virtual CPU which is using more cores as a lower core CPU.

If it were that easy, it would be done by now.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 minutes ago, Elochai said:

Now this is the question, can you make a virtual machine and tell it's CPU to act as a 4 core CPU but use 6 or 5 cores from the physical CPU. So that way the virtual CPU would have a speed of say 4.80 GHz per core making video games limited to 4 core/threads able to use more by tricking them into using a virtual CPU which is using more cores as a lower core CPU.

No, because it doesn't work that way. CPU cores do not "fuse" together to act as fewer cores. There are attempts to do this, but not fruit has been borne yet.

It is really too bad that no one has come up with a way to do this as most things in a virtual system is just tricking the virtual system :(.

oh well maybe someday someone will have a solution to do just this.

52 minutes ago, Elochai said:

I don't do much in the field of making virtual systems and when I do it usually for low end Linux servers.

But I had an idea and am wondering if it's possible.

My current rig I use for gaming till I get the cash to build something better has a Xeon 1650 6 core 12 thread CPU running at 3.20 Ghz.

most video games can only use 4 cores/threads. So the faster your core speed is, the better it is for these games.

Do you really have trouble running games with this set up? I wouldnt imagine you cant at least get 60fps avg 

A virtual machine set to use 4 cores will only use 4 of the physical cores of the machine. It can't seamlessly multithread 4 virtual cores onto 6 physical cores to run faster.

Spreading processes across multiple cores takes a lot of careful design and effort from the actual developer of the software or game, it can't just be done on the fly by a virtual machine.

If you look into a part of mathematics called 'decisions' then it explains why nicely. To achieve a complex goal (for instance running a game) there is a complex network of dependencies. For example the part of the ai that tells enemies where to move next can't execute properly until after the game has drawn up a list of valid spaces for enemies to move to, but if you had an automatic system trying to make the game fun faster by dynamically multithreading things then it might try to get the ai to decide where to move next at the exact same time the game is drawing up a list of valid spaces for the ai to move to, causing a crash.

22 hours ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Do you really have trouble running games with this set up? I wouldnt imagine you cant at least get 60fps avg 

CPU wise, no it doesn't bottleneck due to CPU, video card, yeah some games could do with a better video card then what I got but I'm not upgrading till I got enough saved to do the full build and I'm waiting till 2017 for PCI-E V4 and 1080 TI's to come out.

But that not why I asked if their were any VM software out there that can do this.

im the type of person who loves to do things just because I can. I enjoy learning new things and applying things. That's my hobbies and why I have parts and servers laying around everywhere.

My girlfriend used to get mad when I come home in the cargo van from work (used to work for a courier company that did all contracts but Canada post) filled with packages just for me. And even to this day I have a package about twice a month. Waiting now on 2 Xeons for my IBM server and a used barracuda 410 to do pfsence on. She understands now, this is what I like to do when I got "me" time once in awhile.

So to sum it up, it not needed it something I wanted to try if it existed for fun. Just something to do.

I'm sure it could be done but in today's age, I can't see any company doing it now with more and more apps / games allowing the use of more cores if available. I was just being hopeful of some VM software existing that had it already.

But oh well, I'll pick another project. 

I'll try adding my 750ti to the computer to do physics and see if that will improve FPS on my 960 or something. If the HP PSU will handle two cards (I hate computers made to not be upgraded without using the manufacturers crap or some modded cable).

That would be hyper-unthreading! It probably can be done with software, but has no use at all.