Accessing Shared Folder/Hard drive on another PC on my network

DocShay
Go to solution Solved by Matt_98,
Just now, DocShay said:

For reasons unknown to me it says "Windows cannot access \\192.168.0.11" when trying to use map network drive (credentials are correct), however using run  \\192.168.0.11\ works no problem.

I'm stumped!

try using "\\pcname\sharedfoldername" in mapped network drives

Hey guys,

Trying to do something i've never had much a need for in the past - I moved an older 1TB HDD from my main PC to my HTPC. I'd like to be able to access shared folder on that HDD, from my main PC (Specifically if I use BitTorrent from my main PC, i'd like to be able to save to a folder on the HTPC folder)

Anyway, i've shared folders and what have you on my home networks before - I usually just hit run and enter //xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and enter the username/password - However to make things easier to download in BitTorrent i'd much rather go through Windows Explorer in the "Network" selection and have it show me the HTPC/Shared Folders in there. 

How do I go about doing this? I've set the folders up to be shared on the HTPC, and CAN access them via Run and enter the ip address. - However they do not show up under Network. I have set my network settings on both PC's so their networks are visible to pcs on the network. Aside from that I attempt to hit "Map Network Drive"  and enter the IP address - And it gave a connection error.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

right click on this pc and map a nettwork drive, you may need to do it by pc name and not ip. is the htpc assigned a static ip or is it dynamic?

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

Mapping network drive should work if you can access to it by writing \\pc-name\disk\folder in explorer.

And that would be also the easiest way to do it.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Matt_98 said:

right click on this pc and map a nettwork drive, you may need to do it by pc name and not ip. is the htpc assigned a static ip or is it dynamic?

Just now, Simon771 said:

Mapping network drive should work if you can access to it by writing \\pc-name\disk\folder in explorer.

And that would be also the easiest way to do it.

For reasons unknown to me it says "Windows cannot access \\192.168.0.11" when trying to use map network drive (credentials are correct), however using run  \\192.168.0.11\ works no problem.

I'm stumped!

Just now, DocShay said:

I'm stumped!

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

Just now, DocShay said:

I'm stumped!

Well you can't map only IP address directly I think.

You need to make something like \\192.168.0.11\C\Torrent_folder

What's your other PC name?

Try to use \\pcname\disk\folder

In my case it was like this:

My primary PC is named "Simon-PC". 2nd PC is named "shared-pc". Shared-pc have user "admin" with password.

so I just mapped it like this: \\shared-pc\c\Torrent\

And when asked for credentials I wrote for username: "shared-pc\admin"

And then entered password from that admin.

Works like a charm for me.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Matt_98 said:

Bingo! Thank you!