US military's new helmet (THE FUTURE IS HERE)

UR3LMyG.jpg

Yup, that's the new helmet the US military is prototyping currently.

It's got a long name too, it's call the "Helmet Electronics and Display System-Upgradeable Protection"

So this thing has an actual HUD inside of the helmet and was developed by Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center (http://nsrdec.natick.army.mil/)

Don Lee  (project engineer in the Headgear Thrust Area of Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center) said this about the helmet and it's technologies.

We'll have mounted and dismounted Soldiers wear the two different concepts, performing a variety of tasks, the event will be a VIP demo of Soldiers conducting training operations at mission speed using the helmet concepts. 

The program was very successful due to the collaborative support from the different agencies, without that collaboration and support, it would have made the program more challenging. 
It was mostly like an 80-20 split -- 80 percent material solution, 20 percent impact on the Soldier, kind of setting the stage for the next evolution of headgear protection, which will look to swap that, doing more 80 percent impact on the Soldier and 20 percent material solution.

Here is a link to two articles about this 

http://www.army.mil/article/108173

http://front.kinja.com/check-out-this-futuristic-new-soldier-helmet-discovered-1451682335

So this is pretty fricken' cool... Way better than robots fighting for us. 

What are your thoughts? 

PS. Terrorists your game is through! Now you have to answer to.... AMERICA! Fuck yeah! 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

meh, it's a normal helmet with a faceplate tacked on to it.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Upgrades are usually good.  Looks like it might give a bit more protection, depending on what it's made of.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

meh, it's a normal helmet with a faceplate tacked on to it.

It has an actual HUD 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Really seems to screw around with your vision

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

I doubt that any U.S soldier will wear that, all it will do is limit vision, make it really hot, get in the way, the "HUD" is kinda stupid, and you cant ADS (Aim Down Sights)

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

Just waiting for my T51-B power armour.

One step closer. 

I doubt that any U.S soldier will wear that, all it will do is limit vision, make it really hot, get in the way, and the "HUD" is kinda stupid.

Well there's a reason it's a prototype. 

It has an actual HUD 

Look at the shape of the actual helmet, it's this

yhst-21216657135158_2271_8122855.jpg

With the HUD system screwed onto it, it's not very impressive as corvettes have had HUD's displayed on their windshields for a few years now.

Until we get working versions of these

halo_3_odst_helmet_v2_by_hyperballistik-

I won't be impressed.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Look at the shape of the actual helmet, it's this

yhst-21216657135158_2271_8122855.jpg

With the HUD system screwed onto it, it's not very impressive as corvettes have had HUD's displayed on their windshields for a few years now.

Until we get working versions of these

halo_3_odst_helmet_v2_by_hyperballistik-

I won't be impressed.

I mean I get what you're saying but lets be honest... ONE STEP CLOSER TO THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I mean I get what you're saying but lets be honest... ONE STEP CLOSER TO THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

a small boring step that involved a 30 year old helmet design and some screws.

EDIT-

Plus the title of your thread bothers me, If the future was here(with "here" being defined as the present as in right now) it wouldn't be the future. In essence it's already in the past as is whatever present your currently in because by the time your brain comprehends the present it's already happened and is now the past and the cycle starts all over again. By the time this HUD element was designed the "Future" technology that it represents had already become current technology because even as we comprehend what we perceive as the present the future has already arrived and passed us by only to be seen as the present by our minds.

a small boring step that involved a 30 year old helmet design and some screws

If you view it that way then new GPU's must be the most boring thing ever...

If you view it that way then new GPU's must be the most boring thing ever...

Considering that they aren't really new, yes they are boring.

So this is pretty fricken' cool... Way better than robots fighting for us. 

So potentially expending human lives is preferable to robots?

Not that I even think wars should be a thing, robot-fueled or otherwise.

Does it stop bullets from AK?

Also i prefer robot to "die" than humans in wars. War should be 2 presidents (or leaders) on a ring fighting ex. Putin vs Obama on a ring...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Just a few steps away from master Chiefs helmet! :D

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

So potentially expending human lives is preferable to robots?

Not that I even think wars should be a thing, robot-fueled or otherwise.

Of course not, but think of what a robot is, think of how many more innocents would be killed. People sign up for the military. (maybe not in some other countries) 

Until we have sufficient programming for robots to act only on enemies and not just other people we can't (shouldn't) use them.

I saw this documentary about it in the TV about the new robots with firearms and there was a guy talking about how US soldiers saw "insurgents" and with their guns down with civilians and waited for the civilians and the insurgents to bury the coffin before they opened fire. How will a robot be able to differentiate between these insurgents and civilians when they're right next to eachother? Humans actually have emotions and restraint, robots don't. 

Just my 2 cents

Does it stop bullets from AK?

Also i prefer robot to "die" than humans in wars. War should be 2 presidents (or leaders) on a ring fighting ex. Putin vs Obama on a ring...

I wish, though I think we'd lose that fight... If this was how it would work Jesse Ventura would've been president a long time ago 

Also about the robots, see my other post

I don't think something like that is going to be too popular with soldiers in hot environments and especially in towns, cities and villages where you walk around with the head on a swivel.

I give the enemy a week before they figure out your blind spots and exploit them.

Then there is the loss of hearing...... very very important that.

I wish, though I think we'd lose that fight... If this was how it would work Jesse Ventura would've been president a long time ago 

Also about the robots, see my other post

You need Arnold as president. If country going down the drain why not go all the way?

Ministry of StopIt!

You need Arnold as president. If country going down the drain why not go all the way?

Even better, Arnold President and Jesse Vice.

CIHdQ1p.jpg

OkH5pZ3.jpg

Even better, Arnold President and Jesse Vice.

Poland would be screwed either way

Polish president:

XLvEHtk.jpg

Ministry of StopIt!