Is 144hz actually 144 fps?

ShadowWolf810
3 minutes ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

Hmm I suppose that is true, at the same viewing distance a bigger monitor with a lower resolution to size ration would look worse or maybe equivalent to my current display in terms of quality. 

For those two monitors you linked, do you know of a good resource for seeing the color accuracy? 

The best resource is whatever brick and mortar store is close to you. Just ask to look at an IPS monitor. I don't think IPS panels vary that much.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

The best resource is whatever brick and mortar store is close to you. Just ask to look at an IPS monitor. I don't think IPS panels vary that much.

Well I was hoping for more of a technical way to judge the monitors. I'm a freelance video editor too, and I know that true 100% color accuracy is only possible on a truly professional grade reference display, it would be cool if I could also get better color performance out of an investment in a new monitor along with sick gaming performance! 

2 minutes ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

Well I was hoping for more of a technical way to judge the monitors. I'm a freelance video editor too, and I know that true 100% color accuracy is only possible on a truly professional grade reference display, it would be cool if I could also get better color performance out of an investment in a new monitor along with sick gaming performance! 

Well I know professionals prefer IPS for the color accuracy, but I honestly don't know if there is any more you need to know. @Glenwing would be a better resource.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

On 11/7/2016 at 7:27 AM, ivan134 said:

You're both wrong on different things

1. If you're getting 100 fps on a 144 Hz monitor, you're going to see 100 fps, not 144 fps. There won't be any duplicated frames.
  2. Your friend is wrong that IPS panels higher than 60 Hz don't exist. I'm not even sure where the he got that from.

@ivan134 What do you mean there wont be any duplicated frames? My understanding is that for 144 Hz (non-Gsync/free sync) monitors you draw a new frame on the screen 144 times per sec. That means you check ur video input 144 times per sec and draw the frame that's available there. now if GPU is producing 100 then some frames will be drawn twice because the GPU didn't have time to update them. Or am I missing something?? Just curios :)

6 hours ago, reddevil1432 said:

@ivan134 What do you mean there wont be any duplicated frames? My understanding is that for 144 Hz (non-Gsync/free sync) monitors you draw a new frame on the screen 144 times per sec. That means you check ur video input 144 times per sec and draw the frame that's available there. now if GPU is producing 100 then some frames will be drawn twice because the GPU didn't have time to update them. Or am I missing something?? Just curios :)

This is correct :)