New and improved D5 pump from Alphacool

Alphacool has just released an improved version of the popular D5 pump. Their old model was called VPP655, so this one is VPP755.

The interesting part is that they claim to have redesigned even the internals of the pump, resulting in more power and less noise than the old one.

Specificly they give examples of the old model pumping water to 3,7 meters as the new one will do 4,0 meters and it consuming 23W of power for the same water flow that the new one can produce with 14W.

VPP755 has a new bearing that should make it more quiet and the pump's speed can be adjusted between 1700 - 4500 rpm. It has molex, 3-pin and 4-pin PWM connectors so that you can run the pump at constant speed but still monitor it through 3-pin fan connector or alternatively control it complitely with 4-pin PWM fan connector. When in PWM mode, you can still change the maximum speed that the pump will run with the switch in the pump.

Additionally it looks better now with metal body, sleeved black cables etc. Interestingly the pump is also noticeably shorter, taking a bit less space.

UPDATE 1: Oh, I forgot to mention the price. It seems to cost around the same as the old model. On Aquatuning.de the basic VPP655 is 64€ and VPP655 with PWM control is 72€. The new VPP755 fits right between them at 69€.

UPDATE 2: Xtremerigs has already a review of the pump. I highly recommend reading it if you're interested but here are the main findings:

- VPP755 has a slightly differing dimensions compared to a normal D5 and not all pump tops will fit!

- The pump motor has no real PWM control but instead runs on one of five preset speeds depending on the PWM signal. The manual control on the pump uses also those five steps, so no linear control.

- The pump actually is more powerful, silent and a lot more energy efficient than a regular D5.

- The sleeving on the cable is not the prettiest that there are. But the housing is really nice and more color options of it should be available in the future.

UPDATE 3: Taken from Thermalbench's review:

Alphacool tells me that they have tested compatibility of the VPP755 with D5 tops from Alphacool, Aquacomputer and Heatkiller. So there is an extrapolation on their part regarding universal compatibility. However, they also mentioned that Xylem/Laing made a small physical change to the D5 itself in 2011- so much so that tops made for the D5 pump prior to this information are not compatible with the VPP755, and barely compatible with newer D5 pumps if at all. As such, Alphacool is saying here that their VPP755 should be compatible with all D5 tops that are new and catering to the physical change in the D5 pump.

Sources:

- Xtremerig's review:

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2016/10/31/alphacool-eispumpe-vpp755-pump-review/

- Thermalbench's review:

http://thermalbench.com/2016/11/04/alphacool-eispumpe-vpp755-pump/

- Alphacool product video:

vpp755_1.jpg

vpp755_2.jpg

Edited by Levis95l

Smaller, quieter and don't have rainbow cables. Yes please. 

Magical Pineapples

that are some amazing improvements. its better on every front. and 23 watts to 14 watts? thats amazing.

Too bad acool says it'll fit all d5 tops and that just isn't true it seems.  Fast_fate had issues with leaking from the CSQ type tops from Ek and the SAP from monsoon (edit: out of only a few tops tested, is possible there is many more)

I'm quite disappointed, I use a ek CSQ dual top and was really looking forward to grabbing a pair to try out.... just be careful if you're going to buy one and make sure it'll fit your top before breaking your top or leaking everywhere

Edit: I've been asking acool for a "statement" of sorts about the new pump not fitting on some other tops despite their advertising saying otherwise. I'll update this comment when/if they respond.

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

11 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

Too bad acool says it'll fit all d5 tops and that just isn't true it seems.  Fast_fate had issues with leaking from the CSQ type tops from Ek and the SAP from monsoon (edit: out of only a few tops tested, is possible there is many more)

I'm quite disappointed, I use a ek CSQ dual top and was really looking forward to grabbing a pair to try out.... just be careful if you're going to buy one and make sure it'll fit your top before breaking your top or leaking everywhere

Edit: I've been asking acool for a "statement" of sorts about the new pump not fitting on some other tops despite their advertising saying otherwise. I'll update this comment when/if they respond.

Read just that same article. I'll add that information to the original post too.

What made the D5 so great, is that it was tried and true. I'll wait for long term use reviews before I swap. The noise is so low already . Not in need of upgrading so I'll wait. 

I was told the following about pump top compatibility

That EK Tops are EOL since a long time and of course they are not compatible because the current D5 from Laing/Loward would also not fit with that tops wink.gif

The VPP ist compatible too all current tops wich are not older than 2011. That was the time as Laing changed a few small details on their D5 pump and all brands had to change their tops in this time wink.gif

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Can it move liquid from one location to another?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

On 7.11.2016 at 4:06 PM, 0ld_Chicken said:

I was told the following about pump top compatibility

That EK Tops are EOL since a long time and of course they are not compatible because the current D5 from Laing/Loward would also not fit with that tops wink.gif

The VPP ist compatible too all current tops wich are not older than 2011. That was the time as Laing changed a few small details on their D5 pump and all brands had to change their tops in this time wink.gif

Thermalbench confirmed the same thing on their review so I added this to the original post. Thanks for the info! Wouldn't have found it otherwise.

19 minutes ago, Levis95l said:

Thermalbench confirmed the same thing on their review so I added this to the original post. Thanks for the info! Wouldn't have found it otherwise.

Sure thing!  Though I find it odd, since my 2014 d5's I got last year work fine in the CSQ.

Why can it not be cheaper?

I mean yeah, a more powerful, quieter, more efficient pump is nice. But how about making the OG D5 pump a bit more affordable?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs