will a 1080 or 1070 bottleneck an i5 2500k?

J400

I have lots of friends that i help with computers and setting up something for gaming. one of my friends has an old dell that he put a gtx 760 and a 550w evga psu i awhile back. now he's looking for an upgrade to fill in the missing frames in his new 120hz asus monitor. he was considering buying a new pascal card, but i told him that it might not be a good idea to just buy a 1080 right off the bat. he and i were tossing around the options of just buying a 1080, or getting a 1070 and buying a decent cpu cooler to overclock with and a nicer case with the money he saves.

the forums have been pretty helpful for questions ive asked like this, so i figured why not post it.

Just now, Miniman27100 said:

Either the 1080 or the 1070 should perform just fine with the i5 2500k.

no it wont........... You're asking for a bottle neck...

8 minutes ago, J400 said:

I have lots of friends that i help with computers and setting up something for gaming. one of my friends has an old dell that he put a gtx 760 and a 550w evga psu i awhile back. now he's looking for an upgrade to fill in the missing frames in his new 120hz asus monitor. he was considering buying a new pascal card, but i told him that it might not be a good idea to just buy a 1080 right off the bat. he and i were tossing around the options of just buying a 1080, or getting a 1070 and buying a decent cpu cooler to overclock with and a nicer case with the money he saves.

the forums have been pretty helpful for questions ive asked like this, so i figured why not post it.

Yes. It will.

2 hours ago, J400 said:

Depends on the situation/game.

I used a 2500K with dual 780 Ti's, which is around the same as a 1080. It would be CPU-limited on some CPU intensive games like Crysis 3 Into the Jungle level, but I would say 90% of the time it was still limited by the graphics cards.

18 minutes ago, J400 said:

Yes, the I5 2500K will "bottleneck" (get to 100% CPU used) with many current games.

BUT BUT BUT ... they will still get decent frame rates.

For example:  i have I5 2500K running at stock (cause of issues with overclock).   Runs at 100% in Overwatch while driving 100-120FPS on a 1440p Monitor... with EVGA GTX 1070 SC

So yeah, technically it will bottleneck ... but in doing so still gets perfectly decent gaming FPS>

If you want to upgrade an i5 2500K system then get the GPU now ... and save for CPU upgrade later (6-18 months).