I need a router for a sick family member!

John Handcock

A family member post surgery is unable to go downstairs in the basement, and get onto the internet with his computer.  They live in a house, and the modem is in the basement with the laptop they use.  They need the signal to penetrate the basement, and reach to the upstairs, as they are currently unable to go down stairs.  

Budget would be like $100 at most, hopefully less.  The only thing that really matters is that the signal is strong throughout most of the house.  Speed isn't all that important.

1 minute ago, John Handcock said:

A family member post surgery is unable to go downstairs in the basement, and get onto the internet with his computer.  They live in a house, and the modem is in the basement with the laptop they use.  They need the signal to penetrate the basement, and reach to the upstairs, as they are currently unable to go down stairs.  

Budget would be like $100 at most, hopefully less.  The only thing that really matters is that the signal is strong throughout most of the house.  Speed isn't all that important.

Have you considered purchasing some wifi extenders? That sounds like it would be enough to solve the problem.

If it's not a wifi router (really old) then you could pick one up with a bunch of extenders and set them up around the house for him.

3 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

Have you considered purchasing some wifi extenders? That sounds like it would be enough to solve the problem.

If it's not a wifi router (really old) then you could pick one up with a bunch of extenders and set them up around the house for him.

I honestly don't even know if they have a wireless router atm.  I was merely instructed to buy one from another family member, and then go set it up.  

I would think just about every company is using modem router combos with wireless capabilities already, but maybe not?  I really don't know, and I doubt they would know enough to tell me what they have.

5 minutes ago, John Handcock said:

Or you could use something like the eero. You can find more info here.

Please quote me if you are replying so that I get a notification. Also, mark my answer as "correct" if I've answered your question :)

I think the safest bet would be to ran an ethernet cable out of the basement to a more central location in the house ,

3 hours ago, nsinnott said:

Or you could use something like the eero. You can find more info here.

$500 is a long way off $100

On 11/4/2016 at 10:04 PM, Gene Starwind said:

$500 is a long way off $100

Again, "something like the eero". There are other options that have a similar setup, but TheFalcon's reply seems like a pretty strong suggestion. Or you could just move the modem to another area in the house with a cable/phone jack.

Please quote me if you are replying so that I get a notification. Also, mark my answer as "correct" if I've answered your question :)