Resell rented server space? / Run servers for friends

So, people all around keep asking me how to host a minecraft or Gmod server ect. They want to pay me to host it for them. I decided I wanted to make the most of this, and try and make some cash so here is my idea.

I wan't to rent out a large server that I have full access to for 50 usd a month, create VM's on that server to host smaller Gmod and Minecraft servers that I will manage, and sell them to friends. Any ideas as to where I can go to buy said server space? is this a good idea? What do you think?

Computers r fun

Id probably suggest each person just uses their own vps in the cloud, from aws of the like. 

There are lots of colocation places that you can put your own server in, but it won't be much cheaper. If you were going to get a server for this, id go with a dell m1000e if you can(it chugs power and weighs a ton) or a used dell c6100. There are both dense(sockets per U)

In starting out, I was just looking for a VPS just to prove that my idea will work, Then I can invest in a dedicated machine, and go ham. THe reason for using one larger machine rather than selling separate VPS's for my clients is price. I wan't to by it in builk so I get it cheaper so I can sell it to them at a regular price and make a profit.

What do you think of https://virmach.com/ and their options? They look good, but the prices make me think that the quality isn't as good as they say.

Checking out Joe's now.

Computers r fun

I care more about ram than HD space and many CPU's as game servers like Minecraft are light, but love RAM

Computers r fun

I would

prefer the server in in the US, as that is where its users are going to be.

Computers r fun

Make sure that whomever you host from is able to give you multiple IPs per VPS, so you can bind each client process to an IP. Although there technically are ways to run VMs within a VM (which is what a VPS is) it has to be supported by both the parent and child hypervisors if you want anything resembling normal performance. And they generally have to be the same hypervisor as well.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

2 hours ago, brwainer said:

Make sure that whomever you host from is able to give you multiple IPs per VPS, so you can bind each client process to an IP. Although there technically are ways to run VMs within a VM (which is what a VPS is) it has to be supported by both the parent and child hypervisors if you want anything resembling normal performance. And they generally have to be the same hypervisor as well.

So where would I find that information? Would I have to contact them to ask? Also, do you think that some companies would not allow selling VMs within one of their servers?

Computers r fun

6 hours ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Do you think this is a good idea in total?

Running multiple game servers on one VM? It's not a bad idea, but there are aspects you may not have considered, such as reliability and performance (one server can crash the whole OS, or hog resources).

On 11/5/2016 at 2:48 PM, brwainer said:

Running multiple game servers on one VM? It's not a bad idea, but there are aspects you may not have considered, such as reliability and performance (one server can crash the whole OS, or hog resources).

I am planning on using something called AMP to mange server instances and resource allocation. http://cubecoders.com/AMP

My bigger concern is giving each server its own Ip. Would I just have to give each server its own port? Could I have a domain name point towards a specific port? It would be more expensive to get a dedicated IP for each server, and I still wouldn't know how to set each server with its own.

Computers r fun

52 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I am planning on using something called AMP to mange server instances and resource allocation. http://cubecoders.com/AMP

My bigger concern is giving each server its own Ip. Would I just have to give each server its own port? Could I have a domain name point towards a specific port? It would be more expensive to get a dedicated IP for each server, and I still wouldn't know how to set each server with its own.

Most server software has a setting in its config for which IPs it will respond to requests on - usually in the same place where you can set the port of the server. It will normally default to 0.0.0.0, which means it responds on every IP that the computer has. You'll have to manually set each server to its own IP.

that's between you and the VPS host. Either they will add another virtual NIC per additional IP, or they will give you the static IP settings, and you'll have to add a sub-interface onto your existing NIC.