Do you hoard computer files?

Alir
1 minute ago, Alir said:

If you have the bandwidth, you could seed them. I think that's the correct term? I don't torrent.

Then I could download your copies of TDS.

Wait is that allowed on this forum? They're all available on Comedy Central for free anyways

Wait, you weren't joking?  ...Don't use this forum to ask for someone to send you pirated media. o___o  Also, even if it was allowed, that's not how I'd spend my 5mbit upstream.

1 hour ago, SLAYR said:

Hoarding computer files just makes me think of the people who have desktops like these, and store files in the desktop folder.

image.jpg

I use 2+Tb of storage, but that is just my hdd I have for my steam library so it isn't really hoarding.

That picture is NSFW. Please don't post that again!

I use Linux. We have a desktop, but I don't experience that temptation to pollute the desktop on Linux.

Actually I never did. I don't see why people save files on their desktop. It's so illogical and makes them difficult to find.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Wait, you weren't joking?  ...Don't use this forum to ask for someone to send you pirated media. o___o

How is it pirated? You can download them from Comedy Central's site, cant you?

6 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

I don't hoard - quite the opposite, I'll go to lengths to clean up. I have files dating back 10 years or more, but they are generally resume pieces I need if I want to get another job.

Can you seed it and send it to me? I might need it as well one day.

What me? No I don't hoard.

I used to save everything. But not so much any more. I've stopped caring. The things I save now are pretty much just movies and some tv shows. (Excluding digital photos I've taken.)  It's not outrageous though.  Both of those have almost filled only about 3TB. Maybe 200ish HD movies and 50ish shows. 

What I collect mostly is video games physical media.... and Amiibos. 

Damn! I've owned a computer for years, and don't even have close to 1TB worth of files! Well, I do like to keep my drives real nice and tidy. :)

And thanks, TheBestUserName, I slapped at your avatar thinking I had a gnat on my screen! xD

I've got 10GB left on my 1.03 TB OneDrive

about 4TB of stuff I'm scared to go through

6-700GB worth of games I haven't played in years

2-3TB of ripped DVDs so I wouldn't have to move my collection from my dad's office (aka my former room)

Maybe 300GB of music (for some reason)

20-ish GB of images

400-ish GB of photos and videos I've been hoarding since, well, forever. Still need to throw them on Google Photos but I get easily sidetracked.

Basically I have a humongous box of (un)labeled HDDs gathering dust. And somehow I keep buying drives for some reason.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I don't. I'm actually one of those people that has to have everything sorted and in order. When I don't something I delete it. Mind you I don't have ocd, I just like order. I even optimize my HDD at least one a week since I change up to 100 GB of stuff almost every week on it.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

7 hours ago, Alir said:

Nice job changing the topic, realising you incriminated yourself on a public forum, justified your actions based on not having ill intentions and then confirmed that you are now living a legal life. Salute! ;)

Well it was all about hoarding. The funny thing is, that even though file sizes increase, my storage necessity decreased due to viable legal alternatives.

Honestly I don't care whether it is or was legal or not. It's not my mistake it took companies so long to get with the times - opting to frustrate development instead. The fact that movie & music companies took so frigging long to have this same development (for example with Spotify & Netflix) is in my mind unbelievable. A lot of the hoarding people do is simply due to convenience. Services like Steam and streaming services allow you to leave the hoarding to the server.

And let's be realistic here. Legally speaking almost everyone here is likely to be in violation in one way or another. Even ripping your own physical media is often still illegal. Interestingly enough, in the Netherlands downloading movies actually used to be fully legal.

I used to hoard things like movies and anime that I downloaded. Nowadays I generally delete them the moment I've watched them, unless I REALLY liked them and "may" re-watch them again later... But I also go through my files every once in a while (like twice a year?) and delete files I haven't touched in over a year.

I do "hoard" some software installers, mainly the ones I would re-install if I format my PC, but I also try to keep them up-to-date whenever I'm about to format, so it's more like a "list" of things I want to install, but not actually install.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro